• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Pro Tour

Dodge has been dreaming for a minute. Jussi came up with a WT so he whipped up the PT.

Big dreams? Sure... But dont act like a 5 yr old when trying to execute the dream lol.

I ****ing live it so all good here. Difference in living jn reality vs dreamland. We all can do big things some just actually get done.

One mans dream is anothers reality.

How much did it cost to widen the doorways in your house?

After all the hooplah, Yesterday I was one of 94 watching the first round live broadcast. What would that score in neilson ratings? I feel like we are all getting ahead of ourselves.

Don't know where you watched, but there were over 300 on SmashboxxTV and over 600 on DGPT channels on on YouTube. I think there may have been some watching via other streams like Facebook live.

Now I'm not saying those are huge numbers, but way more than 94. I was watching both channels because the DGPT version was unmoderated and full of trolls and the SmashboxxTV version had much more relevant chatting.

I attended The Majestic, and The Silver Cup this year, Chuck. Great bumping into you at The Majestic!

IMO, I thought there were more spectators than usual at these events? The parking lots were overflowing.

Also, I considered the spectators to be true spectators, not just the AM side of the tournaments viewing the Pros playing.

I wish there were some way to determine this, survey? I've yet to be to any event, B tier and above, and even some C teirs, where the parking lots weren't filled. I'm not saying that there weren't non-disc golf spectators, but I'd like some actual proof.

While Steve is working hard to advertise, I don't see that reaching much, if any, beyond our community. The only place I've seen a credible non-player group of spectators is Europe.

BTW - if Steve is serious about this, he should have someone with a talking to the spectators and finding out who they are, and what brought them out. Standard operating procedure.

Many people have posted that they think this all a cash grab by Steve. I do not know Steve so I will not comment on motives, but how would people expect him to make money from the Pro Tour? How does any TD make money running tournaments?

Don't know where you watched, but there were over 300 on SmashboxxTV and over 600 on DGPT channels on on YouTube. I think there may have been some watching via other streams like Facebook live.

Now I'm not saying those are huge numbers, but way more than 94. I was watching both channels because the DGPT version was unmoderated and full of trolls and the SmashboxxTV version had much more relevant chatting.

I believe that it was FB live. Popped up in my notifications. Their marketing says to be prepared for hundreds of thousands of watchers and thousands of spectators if you plan to seek an event at your course.

Many people have posted that they think this all a cash grab by Steve. I do not know Steve so I will not comment on motives, but how would people expect him to make money from the Pro Tour? How does any TD make money running tournaments?

Agreed, no cash to grab. Attention grab? Steve is a marketer, you can see it in everything he does.

I suspect, as he has written, that he understands he went too far. Who can't say the same?

I believe that it was FB live. Popped up in my notifications. Their marketing says to be prepared for hundreds of thousands of watchers and thousands of spectators if you plan to seek an event at your course.

OMG, when your 2/3rds off and you're talking about 100 players or 300, I think the rest is details. 1978 has hit the nail on the head. I don't remember the numbers from other non-Steve events, but I don't recall them being significantly different. I do recall one event where it might have been 1,000?

OMG, when your 2/3rds off and you're talking about 100 players or 300, I think the rest is details. 1978 has hit the nail on the head. I don't remember the numbers from other non-Steve events, but I don't recall them being significantly different. I do recall one event where it might have been 1,000?

Well I know that I was 100% correct that where I was watching I was 1 of 94 :)

I did feel like the broadcast yesterday was really good. There looked to be 1000 viewers if you combine all of the outlets. Some of the expectations have fallen short, but I do think that with the Udisc stats and multi card coverage, DGPT has pushed the dial forward in 2016.

I was watching on youtube yesterday. The smashboxx link had 500 plus viewers and the DGPT link had 600 plus.

For the first two events, DGPT youtube channel was the only place that the stream was on. So those numbers were about 1,000 for each event, but the coverage was pretty choppy. Starting with the Majestic it has been harder to track now that it is on multiple outlets. But I still think each event has been right around 1,000. The signal for the Majestic was good as well as Green Mountain. I will be interested to see how many the tour championship gets on Sunday.

No tour has (recently) attempted pay-per-view to see how that goes.

Bingo!

This is a repeat, so I apologize. WRC + is World Rally Championship pay per view. It is excellent, and it runs about $50 a year. It is the best 50 bucks I spend.

At $50, I could feel like I was making a solid donation to the sport and it's viewing, I would do it in heart beat if Terry set it up (or Steve) and I'd have a blast.

Potential Model. Do what they're currently doing, add some content and synopsis (maybe work with CCDG) and package it. This is what WRC does. They release the synopsis within one to two days on WRC +, and then a week or so later on WRC regular.

John V, if you're watching, PM me and I will give you my login for WRC + and you can see what they've done. It works and clearly, they are making a decent to very good living at it.

I did feel like the broadcast yesterday was really good. There looked to be 1000 viewers if you combine all of the outlets. Some of the expectations have fallen short, but I do think that with the Udisc stats and multi card coverage, DGPT has pushed the dial forward in 2016.

This is also correct. I don't know how much credit I'd give to DGPT though. Certainly they've brought a lot together. But the broadcast positions and angles were worked out some time ago. The commentary was started five six years ago, with the guy that did ADGT (forgot his name) and maybe another guy. It didn't get good, IMO, until CCDG showed how to analyze holes and approaches. Honestly, I don't know what Terry was doing before, so he may have done something similar. Now, there are several commentators out there who are all very good, and I can't argue that Steve hasn't recognized the talent and brought them together.

A note, Jamie has a different style. I don't love it, but many do. The last he commented, he models more after the ball golf guys, and I notice he works at it and is polishing it. I could hear that yesterday. He deserves some credit for directing the sport broadcasts too.

Lately is right... I do recall someone took my $25 for a LIFETIME subscription to Disc Golf Planet TV just a couple of years ago. That got me like 3 tournaments of live coverage before it went away.

Where do I get a refund?

Who was that someone?

(I think I know the answer)

This is the the major PDGA argument of the 30 years rehashed in 2016 terms. Ever since Kransco bought Wham-O and killed the gravy train that was the IFA, the question has been can disc golf (or any other Frisbee sport) create a sustainable professional series of events. A lot of people involved in disc golf thought "yes" in 1985 and took over the PDGA from Ed Headrick with that goal in mind.

Certainly progress has been made over the last 30 years and there is more money to be made for a touring disc golfer than there was before, but the question remains. Are there enough people willing to spectate (either in person or of a broadcast) to make disc golf viable to advertisers? There are a lot of people betting "yes" and working very hard to reach that goal.

People like me get slammed for saying it, but despite the energy and talent of the people involved it is still an open question. It gets presented as a "not if but when" by Pro disc golf cheerleaders, but the reality is that it is still an "if" question. There have been untold hours and dollars thrown at Pro disc golf over the last 30 years by the disc golf community to get us this far, but as a community we only get so far. There is going to have to be an influx of outside, non-disc golf money to meet the lofty goals of the PDGA, the DGPT and the DGWT.

I'm not going to poo-poo the efforts happening here, but the DGPT actually succeeding is not a foregone conclusion. There is a long way to go.

But hey, it's better than the ADGT, right?

Latest posts