• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Pro Tour

This was a really insightful post, thank you. I'd be curious for your thoughts on this follow up: I've also thought about the e-sports model as one that can compare to disc golf, but have always thought that a driving factor behind e-sports being able to grow quickly is that potential sponsors are selling products that are more expensive than disc golf equipment, thereby bringing a larger influx of money. Is this something you've observed, or am I way off base?

The largest prize pool contributors in esports is actually the viewers themselves. Last month the largest esports tournament ever was hosted in Seattle, it was the Dota 2 International 6. It consisted of 16 teams competing for a total of about $20 million. $1.5 million was added by the game publisher, the rest came from crowd sourcing. The publisher of the game sold in-game cosmetic items as a way to crowd source their world championship, 25% of the proceedings from the sale of these items went to the prize pool. So the financial model is quite unlike anything we see in traditional sports, and this model leads to far bigger prizes than what we get in traditional sports as well.

I'm not sure how well you can correlate the spectator experience for e-sports to disc golf. I would think that, watching e-sports, there is a lot happening, a lot of action and activity, compared to disc golf (or much of anything else). Just speculation on my part, as I don't play electronic games, and only found out a few hours ago that anyone watches them.

This was a really insightful post, thank you. I'd be curious for your thoughts on this follow up: I've also thought about the e-sports model as one that can compare to disc golf, but have always thought that a driving factor behind e-sports being able to grow quickly is that potential sponsors are selling products that are more expensive than disc golf equipment, thereby bringing a larger influx of money. Is this something you've observed, or am I way off base?

Actually, I think that's a bit off base, at least in my opinion. I've spent a lot of time thinking about the comparisons and contrasts between disc golf coverage/accessability versus the growth of esports since I really like both. DG is my main hobby, but I love playing Smite and following the Smite Pro Leagues as well.

The growth of esports is due to one thing - pure accessibility.

The accessibility of the games -
League of Legends is a great yardstick for esports in this department. You don't have to have some state of the art computer or huge investment in hardware at all to run the game. That makes it very accessible to a large portion of gamers these days. All you really need is a halfway decent computer and internet connection to play, and it's actually a free to play game to boot, which gets a lot of people in the door in the first place. More people playing the game means more people potentially buying hardware or things through in-game stores to help along prize pools. Smite is a good example of this too - there are literally team 'chests' that you can buy unlocks for that the % money spent on the chest goes directly to supporting that team. This is in addition to the bundles and 'Odyssey' purchases that go to fund the Smite World Championships as well. DOTA2 and LoL have their own versions of this crowd funded prize pool generation as well.

With disc golf, the accessibility is actually quite limited for a game that can be very cheap to play. First, you have to have a course nearby. As much as we spout the growth of the sport, there's still not a lot of local access to play it. Plain and simple fact, you can't play if you have no courses to play on, and I'm pretty sure there's always going to be more computers that can run esports related games compared to disc golf courses in America. Second, you have to know the courses and sport exist! I grew up in Columbia, and there's been a course here almost my entire life...I knew nothing about disc golf until 2 years after I moved back here from college. If it wasn't for my friend I went to college with taking me out to play, I'd likely still never know a thing about it, even though I've lived within 5-10 miles of 3 courses in Columbia since I've been back.

Streaming and live viewing accessibility -

Twitch.tv (and now youtube gaming, to a much lesser extent) have a huge jump on being able to bring esports in to your home, versus finding DG related content. Twitch.tv has been around independently since 2011, and was a spin off of the now defunct Justin.tv which I think was the original 'game channel' streaming platform. There are content creators and people streaming for fun in the thousands, if not tens of thousands, everyday. All you need is a mic, streaming program, and a game to play. Webcam not even necessary (although gets more viewers that way)

Disc golf lacks content creators. Sure, the few we have are really good. Not everyone has the items needed to create dg content - one thing of which often includes a really nice camera (because we know no one is going to watch your videos if you record in potato quality) Terry runs his podcast once a week during season, and we only really hear anything from CCDG, Jomez, or whomever when they release a video.

Esports has content creators that literally dedicate their lives and careers to streaming/professional play, and are readily available on a (usually) daily basis and interact with fans all the time. Disc golf does not have that sort of availability, as no one has stepped up as a content creator the same way. I don't really blame them, because even the people playing the sport can't really make a real living, I don't imagine that someone who focused their career on creating disc golf content would be able to do much better. Is it possible to do so? Maybe, but is the audience even there to watch/listen/support even one persons efforts to make a career out of it? Highly doubtful.

Conclusion -

Esports follows a different developmental path from obscurity than disc golf can possibly take. Infrastructure is available to get these games and live streams to people's houses/phones very easily. Disc golf infrastructure is obviously much different, and people have to make an effort to find and play the game, much more than just logging in from the comfort of their own home. Sure, it's a cheap and accessible game, but only if you have a course close by.

Drawing comparisons between the two is very difficult. They were/are fringe activties - though esports is becoming much more widely accepted worldwide as a legitimate competition; see the advent of ESPN eSports coverage, as well as Yahoo eSports. Hoping that one day, disc golf will share the prize pools of eSports is, in my opinion, a pipe dream.

Last edited:
The largest prize pool contributors in esports is actually the viewers themselves. Last month the largest esports tournament ever was hosted in Seattle, it was the Dota 2 International 6. It consisted of 16 teams competing for a total of about $20 million. $1.5 million was added by the game publisher, the rest came from crowd sourcing. The publisher of the game sold in-game cosmetic items as a way to crowd source their world championship, 25% of the proceedings from the sale of these items went to the prize pool. So the financial model is quite unlike anything we see in traditional sports, and this model leads to far bigger prizes than what we get in traditional sports as well.

The bolded sounds a lot like TFR discs to me...selling something exclusive for the purposes of fundraising. The USDGC, for example, always got a good chunk of change out of the Champion Rocs, especially early on.

Unfortunately, there's a ceiling on that sort of fundraising because eventually the market gets saturated or too specialized or after-market bubbles burst. It's not a bottomless well. There are only so many "next great things" manufacturers can come up with.

This is why it will always remain a dream.

Because I'm not watching????

Joking, of course. I know and agree. But if I'm wrong---if we're wrong---it has a better chance with a format that increases the drama. Like DGPT is trying to do here.

Though I wonder if someone ran a big event on a southern course in January, when half the country's snowed in, or late afternoon on a west coast course, so it's after dark in the east, it might help. I'd still bet against it, but it might.

Because I'm not watching????

Joking, of course. I know and agree. But if I'm wrong---if we're wrong---it has a better chance with a format that increases the drama. Like DGPT is trying to do here.

Though I wonder if someone ran a big event on a southern course in January, when half the country's snowed in, or late afternoon on a west coast course, so it's after dark in the east, it might help. I'd still bet against it, but it might.

It's all your fault! The ADGT mantra. If it fails, it's your fault. From now on, I credit all my fails to Mr. Sauls.

A couple of things. IMO, what is going to make this work is if it is entertaining. Frankly, it has gotten closer with every tournament. The commentators are really getting good at this. Robert Mc is a great addition. He has a sports broadcaster voice, and his style is really nice. Jamie has come so far this year, it's a real testament to hard work.

I will say one thing though. I'm already sick of the DGPT red spinning wheel of death.

Reminds me how they transitioned from scene to scene in the original Batman TV series.

Both made me laugh......though I'm one of about three people here old enough to know what Chuck's talking about.

I guess Lyle's one of the other two.

FWIW, (and I'm stuck...away from home...so I can't be outside like David) the broadcast is awesome. And congrats to Ricky on another win. Paul McWho?

I only watched a little of this, was Bradley caddying for Uli again? If so, Uli may want to hire him as his full time caddy during his suspension.

But that last putt by Uli looked really bad, can't miss those relatively easy ones, it looked like he didn't give it his best effort to say the least.

I only watched a little of this, was Bradley caddying for Uli again? If so, Uli may want to hire him as his full time caddy during his suspension.

But that last putt by Uli looked really bad, can't miss those relatively easy ones, it looked like he didn't give it his best effort to say the least.

At least he has a caddy to keep him calm.