• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Valley

Does nobody have a W/G Ballista? I'm still figuring mine out but it's far better than the G/S and G/R I've had.

Of course the light/glide disc went up for sale today. I just bought the extra turn/extra glide Balista Pro a couple days ago and love it, but now I get to enjoy being stomped by everybody in multiplayer that can reach the bonus holes for the next month.

Does nobody have a W/G Ballista? I'm still figuring mine out but it's far better than the G/S and G/R I've had.

Wind/Glide Ballista? Or Ballista Pro? I've had a W/G Ballista in the bag since I got it and love it. The W/G Ballista Pro is number 2 on my wish list after the Glide/Skip BPro.

Current drivers in my bag are:
- Wind/Glide Recoil
- Glide/Skip Ballista (best distance on open holes)
- Wind/Glide Ballista
- Light/Glide Ballista Pro

Last edited:
Dropping in to say that I am a big fan of this game. Supported the creator with the Tournament pack.

Recently got hand on light/glide Ballista pro and light/skip BP. Also bag turn/glide BP which goes really straight with much less fade. Still have my first Ballista, wind break and glide.

My greatest achievement is an ace on the albatross hole, getting -4 and a condor! Amazing that it is possible. Did it with the turn/glide BP.

This is a little late now, but one thing I notice with the 1.035 update is the W/G Recoil is more overstable. It's helped me miss the Coyote forehand "gap" hole a few times.

Also, I finally got 3-stars on the winter course. FV Hole 2 is officially my least favorite hole in the game because that initial drive is such a pain, and a conservative play makes the second shot difficult too. Here's my approach off the tee for each hole. I'm curious what people usually use:
1) W/G Ballista backhand - very consistent, though sometimes I miss stupid little 20 foot downhill putts
2) W/G Ballista backhand gets to the island reasonably often with a pretty easy birdie look after G/S Ballista or L/G B Pro for shot two. For Pro Tour or multiplayer rounds in the future, I may very well settle for a Musket to settle on the close side of the ice, and play for par. Of note, some winds seem to make it impossible for me to get onto the island, e.g. 3 right to left.
3) L/G Ballista backhand with enough anny to to end up on the right shore, usually leaving 150' - 200' to the basket for a risky eagle run or a layup for birdie. I've gotten plenty of eagles, but haven't found a very consistent line.
4) W/G Fuse bh straight onto the ice, then usually a Fuse or Pure shot over the rock close to the basket. This is surprisingly consistent though some winds make the disc's ice-slide more inconsistent. The Fuse's lack of fade helps it slide fairly straight on that ice leaving a 200 to 250' final approach.
5) L/G Bpro or W/G Ballista forehand, then Explorer backhand or some other hyzer over or through trees to the basket for birdie
6) A/W Musket backhand is very consistent though it's certainly easy enough to aim wrong
7) W/G Recoil backhand pretty consistent
8) W/G Recoil backhand works well. I can get in trouble trying to park it, but ending up a little left or long leaves a pretty easy putt/throw-in.
9) W/G Ballista or L/G B Pro backhand, generally a little safe toward the right to make sure I don't miss the mando. This usually leaves a W/G Recoil forehand down to the basket for the bird.

Holes 2 and 3 definitely derailed more 3-star runs than any other holes. I'm curious if I have any strategies that are way different from you folks?

Also, I still haven't had any luck seeing a Glide/Skip Ballista Pro, or Wind/Glide Ballista Pro. Given that I still like the Acc/Wind Explorer AND Acc/Wind Musket, I'm curious how I would like the Acc/Wind Saint Pro. But I don't have that one either.

Just for fun, here's my Coyote Canyon strategy too.

1) Acc/Wind Musket backhand up and to the right, seems to fade through that arch and give a consistent two
2) L/G Ballista Pro backhand, I generally aim way farther right than OrangePie does because the wall is a little lower. When I don't make it over, there's usually a decent bailout shot to get into the wide open area that makes par pretty easy. I've toyed around with a placement Acc/Wind Musket shot off the tee that allows for a trickier Ballista forehand on the second shot, but I eventually settled on the more aggressive tee shot for now.
3) Usually W/G Recoil backhand to landing zone on the right, but I sometimes go OB especially with the Recoil seeming to have a bit more fade with the update. Usually I have a Fuse, Explorer, or Musket approach.
4) W/G Recoil forehand through the gap
5) G/S Ballista forehand through the two rock pillars. Lots of good eagle opportunities on this hole if you perfect your uphill throw-ins
6) Acc/Wind Musket or Acc/Wind Recoil forehand depending on wind.
7) L/G BPro or W/G Ballista depending on wind. I usually try to make it over or past the water on the tee shot, leaving a decent birdie look, though of course I sometimes find that water or end up in a weird spot with the rocks long of the basket
8) Acc/Wind Explorer backhand or sometimes Acc/Wind Musket forehand depending on wind. Just make sure to get over the canyon and avoid the new most punitive DZ in the game
9) G/S Ballista forehand, trying to get to the right of the first big middle pillar. The big thing is to avoid getting pinned right behind something. There's usually a decent Ballista approach through the last arch to give a birdie look.

This is a little late now, but one thing I notice with the 1.035 update is the W/G Recoil is more overstable. It's helped me miss the Coyote forehand "gap" hole a few times.

Also, I finally got 3-stars on the winter course. FV Hole 2 is officially my least favorite hole in the game because that initial drive is such a pain, and a conservative play makes the second shot difficult too. Here's my approach off the tee for each hole. I'm curious what people usually use:
1) W/G Ballista backhand - very consistent, though sometimes I miss stupid little 20 foot downhill putts
2) W/G Ballista backhand gets to the island reasonably often with a pretty easy birdie look after G/S Ballista or L/G B Pro for shot two. For Pro Tour or multiplayer rounds in the future, I may very well settle for a Musket to settle on the close side of the ice, and play for par. Of note, some winds seem to make it impossible for me to get onto the island, e.g. 3 right to left.
3) L/G Ballista backhand with enough anny to to end up on the right shore, usually leaving 150' - 200' to the basket for a risky eagle run or a layup for birdie. I've gotten plenty of eagles, but haven't found a very consistent line.
4) W/G Fuse bh straight onto the ice, then usually a Fuse or Pure shot over the rock close to the basket. This is surprisingly consistent though some winds make the disc's ice-slide more inconsistent. The Fuse's lack of fade helps it slide fairly straight on that ice leaving a 200 to 250' final approach.
5) L/G Bpro or W/G Ballista forehand, then Explorer backhand or some other hyzer over or through trees to the basket for birdie
6) A/W Musket backhand is very consistent though it's certainly easy enough to aim wrong
7) W/G Recoil backhand pretty consistent
8) W/G Recoil backhand works well. I can get in trouble trying to park it, but ending up a little left or long leaves a pretty easy putt/throw-in.
9) W/G Ballista or L/G B Pro backhand, generally a little safe toward the right to make sure I don't miss the mando. This usually leaves a W/G Recoil forehand down to the basket for the bird.

Holes 2 and 3 definitely derailed more 3-star runs than any other holes. I'm curious if I have any strategies that are way different from you folks?

Also, I still haven't had any luck seeing a Glide/Skip Ballista Pro, or Wind/Glide Ballista Pro. Given that I still like the Acc/Wind Explorer AND Acc/Wind Musket, I'm curious how I would like the Acc/Wind Saint Pro. But I don't have that one either.

Depending on wind on FV 2 I use either a Glide/BS Ballista Pro or a Turn Glide Ballista Pro. The turn glide is superb as it finishes very straight so when you hit the ice it keeps going forward towards the island instead of veering off towards the water. 3 or 2 wind left to right and I use the Glide/BS ballista as the wind should keep it moving forward. I'm normally getting at par or birdie on it now with a couple of throw in Eagles.

3 I play the same if there is anything on the round, if I am grinding for the tournaments or a daily and the wind is right I'll go more directly at it.

4 again similar a lot depends on the wind and the context, I sometimes play to the right hand bank and then throw the 85 meter or so shot across from there, I prefer this is the wind is 3 or 2 from left to right, I don't trust the ice slides. If I'm feeling risky I'll play the high anny through the trees with a L/G Ballista Pro which is surprisingly good and getting to the beach but if it turns over a bit too much sticks you with a 130 meter third shot after OB so it's not a great play!

5, I've been playing with a Ballista Glide/Skip backhand anhyzer line to get a look for a 2, if it goes wrong you can normally still up for a 3 (there are lots of lines under the trees on the left) and the best I've had so far has got me within 30 meters for the Eagle.

6. Was my nemesis (would hit trees/rocks and roll horribly into water again and again) but now just throw the wind/acc Musket to land about 20m out and throw in.

7. I can't think what water you're talking about on 7 but I use my Fade/Glide Ballista, the old faithful on a low BH turnover, really really accurate and reliable

8. Glide/Acc Musket aim about 2 arrow at height of basket and a bit of a BH flex and it's twos all day with I suspect a skip in ace coming (you hit the front bank and the skip up height is perfect to get in.)

9. Not worked out a way to get close yet so just BallistaPro Skip/Glide round the mando and then forehand in, not Eagled this yet.

Just for fun, here's my Coyote Canyon strategy too.

1) Acc/Wind Musket backhand up and to the right, seems to fade through that arch and give a consistent two
2) L/G Ballista Pro backhand, I generally aim way farther right than OrangePie does because the wall is a little lower. When I don't make it over, there's usually a decent bailout shot to get into the wide open area that makes par pretty easy. I've toyed around with a placement Acc/Wind Musket shot off the tee that allows for a trickier Ballista forehand on the second shot, but I eventually settled on the more aggressive tee shot for now.
3) Usually W/G Recoil backhand to landing zone on the right, but I sometimes go OB especially with the Recoil seeming to have a bit more fade with the update. Usually I have a Fuse, Explorer, or Musket approach.
4) W/G Recoil forehand through the gap
5) G/S Ballista forehand through the two rock pillars. Lots of good eagle opportunities on this hole if you perfect your uphill throw-ins
6) Acc/Wind Musket or Acc/Wind Recoil forehand depending on wind.
7) L/G BPro or W/G Ballista depending on wind. I usually try to make it over or past the water on the tee shot, leaving a decent birdie look, though of course I sometimes find that water or end up in a weird spot with the rocks long of the basket
8) Acc/Wind Explorer backhand or sometimes Acc/Wind Musket forehand depending on wind. Just make sure to get over the canyon and avoid the new most punitive DZ in the game
9) G/S Ballista forehand, trying to get to the right of the first big middle pillar. The big thing is to avoid getting pinned right behind something. There's usually a decent Ballista approach through the last arch to give a birdie look.

1. Wind Acc Musket Low BH (aim top arrow lower than the basket) Varying degrees of hyzer for wind. All Day 2.
2. L/Glide BPro up over the top, Compass/Explorer/Musket throw in. Eagled it twice, starting to find the range to pick up some more. VEry safe birdie now.
3. Acc/Glide Musket to the right shore leaving 80 - 100 meter throw in attempt with the Musket. Given up on trying to skip off the island it's a 1 in 10 shot for me.
4. Glide skip BPro or Ballista forehand slight hyzer through the gap. 1 ace this way, easy two otherwise. MAke sure to hit right wall and skip rather than left wall where it can stop and drop
5. L/Glide BPro on an anny to go between the two columns (you can't see one off the tee) very reliable Eagle
6. Forehand glide/acc Musket or Fade Glide Ballista if the wind needs it.
7. L/g BPro
8 wind acc Musket aces this a lot. with a 2 left to right stick the second arrow on the basket and pull straight back. you can then adjust that line for other winds recent scoring has been under 2 with aces and no bogeys.
9 L/G BPro to end left of the main pillar. Glide Skip BPro to have a run at the basket, not hit it yet. If stuck right behind the pillar on the first there are some quite cool recovery lines with a Glide/Skip BPro to get up through the arch to throw in territory.

I'm a noob to the game...how in the hell do you get a disc better than the Musket? Every time I unlock something I get the same disc. Super frustrating. About to quit it.

I'm a noob to the game...how in the hell do you get a disc better than the Musket? Every time I unlock something I get the same disc. Super frustrating. About to quit it.

I got my first Recoil when I got three stars on Grizzly, with nothing better than a Musket. That's hard to do, so I think the best way is to get coins - AI tournaments and daily tournaments are your fastest sources of income, I think. There are some distance drivers in the pro shop every day, and some of them are pretty cheap.

I got my first Recoil when I got three stars on Grizzly, with nothing better than a Musket. That's hard to do, so I think the best way is to get coins - AI tournaments and daily tournaments are your fastest sources of income, I think. There are some distance drivers in the pro shop every day, and some of them are pretty cheap.

All of that is solid advice. You can also just buy one from one of the sponsored player packs. The one you can buy is the best Recoil there is. That will serve you very well until you get a Ballista/B-Pro

I haven't posted on the forums much, but thank you for this thread! :thmbup:

#2 on FV has been driving me crazy! :wall:

All of that is solid advice. You can also just buy one from one of the sponsored player packs. The one you can buy is the best Recoil there is. That will serve you very well until you get a Ballista/B-Pro

The level ups seem to have become less useful after the pro shop went live. Even when it was good, it wasn't until at least level 20 that Recoils became an option. What level are you?

But yes if you are inclined to spend real money on discs, the Wind/Glide Recoil is an excellent disc that you may still be using after you get every other disc in the game. So that would be a decent place to spend $6.

But yes, grinding a little bit on daily tournies (200 coins and 250 xp is pretty easy, but 400 should be possible routinely too...) shouldn't take too long to get you a few thousand coins to buy a cheaper Havoc, Recoil, or Ballista

The level ups seem to have become less useful after the pro shop went live. Even when it was good, it wasn't until at least level 20 that Recoils became an option. What level are you?

But yes if you are inclined to spend real money on discs, the Wind/Glide Recoil is an excellent disc that you may still be using after you get every other disc in the game. So that would be a decent place to spend $6.

But yes, grinding a little bit on daily tournies (200 coins and 250 xp is pretty easy, but 400 should be possible routinely too...) shouldn't take too long to get you a few thousand coins to buy a cheaper Havoc, Recoil, or Ballista

I just hit level 700 the other day. Technically, you're eligible to get Recoils as a level-up reward beginning at 11, and Ballistas (and B-Pros) at 21. I honestly don't remember when I got mine. I'm having terrible luck getting B-Pros as level-up rewards and purchased the only one in my bag (as of now) in the pro shop on Christmas Day

200 a week ago!

What's the edge of the Top 100 list sitting at? I think I'm gonna hit a 1010 rating with the next update, barring a significant bed pooping the last 3 rounds of this pro tour. I'm at a 1008 average on my pro tour rounds and about to drop 3 averaging 985 - so if I can shoot over 985 avg the next 3 pro tour rounds (including tonight) that part should hold up well. Just need to grind a killer 10 multiplayer rounds to round it out.

I'm guessing I'd need 1025 to be top 100 though... Am I right?

I haven't done a top 100 in weeks
I'm going to revive the 1000 club sometime soon for 2021 tours and later
Well after tonight's pro tour round my pro tour 12 is at 1012.7 with a 1026 and 980 to replace with the next two. Fingers crossed.

My last round 2 tours ago hurting me. That set went 1037 1032 1038 922 lol

Well after tonight's pro tour round my pro tour 12 is at 1012.7 with a 1026 and 980 to replace with the next two. Fingers crossed.

My last round 2 tours ago hurting me. That set went 1037 1032 1038 922 lol

Tonight's pro tour is good for ratings
I shot 13-down for 1107

Tonight's pro tour is good for ratings
I shot 13-down for 1107
The Albatross Hole is always good for that. I was sitting at a likely 9 when that popped up and I started drooling like Pavlov's dog.

I swear that hole had 3 winds a LOT more when I first started playing the game, I feel like I haven't seen a 3 wind on it in months and months. And only rarely a 2 HW. But a 3 HW occasionally would definitely force some decision making. As it is even in a 2 HW its an easy clear with the L/G Ballista, much less a BPro.

I haven't posted on the forums much, but thank you for this thread! :thmbup:

#2 on FV has been driving me crazy! :wall:

Thank god it was only hole 1 of the Daily. Made the repeated birdie grind manageable. If that pops up late or in a PT, I'm playing it for par.