• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Vs Police Stories

Midnightbiker

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I was just wondering if anyone has an stories about running into , or dealing with the police while practicing or playing disc golf. I had another one happen to me tonight.

I didn't play as well as I thought I could have today. My putting was really in the toilet, so I went to my night time practice field after my wife left for work at about 10:30pm tonight.
Now to paint this picture, I was parked at the local Library. The lights from the parking lot light up the grassy lot next door, which is part of the property of the Civic Center which is next door. There was some sort of event at the Civic Center, but that didn't affect me at all , since they use two different parking lots.

I was working on my putting for about an hour. I figured a few things out and my putting improved, so I decided to start shutting it down and getting ready to go home, since I was satisfied with my putting. Now, by this time I had made about, 200 or so putts. The ground was very wet from the dew on the ground, so I was facing the street, wiping off my discs, and not looking at the Civic Center at my back.
I got that feeling that I was being watched, and kind of glanced over my shoulder, and I saw two figures wearing black coming in my direction. It took my by surprise, and I spun around , and realized it was two Humble Police officers (man and a woman) coming towards me. I just stood there is surprise and said "Uh, hello."

They said they had been hearing a "Chinging" sound for about 20 minutes and wanted to see what all the noise was all about. I pointed to one of my bumper stickers and said proudly "Disc Golf is what its all about":D

Neither one of them had heard of the game, so I gave them a quick history and explained the game. They asked questions about how you play, and how far different discs will go, and I showed them putters and drivers and what they do.
They asked were I lived , and I told them that I lived in the apartments up the street, and they seemed happy with that. I told them that I was about to leave, but the male officer, said "You fine, stay as long as you like". They walked back , I guess they were doing security at the Civic Center event. I took off after that. I didn't want any more company.

I had an encounter earlier this week. I live right near the lake in Chicago, so the closest park for me to take my basket is the park at the beach (which has made me a lot better at putting in the wind). I get a lot of people walking by asking about the game, and I always take the time to explain, and let them try a few putts. One lady came up to me on Tuesday, yelling at me about frisbees (that's really the only word I could understand), and tried to take my putters out of my hand. She was clearly quite drunk, and not wearing very much. A cop car happened to be going by, and the two cops jumped out and ran over, and instantly put the lady in handcuffs. I tried to say that she wasn't bothering me enough to be arrested, I just wanted her to go away, but they told me she had multiple warrants out for her arrest for prostitution and armed robbery. After they put her in the car, they stopped to chat with me about what I was doing, and seemed very interested in the sport. One of them even tried a couple putts before they left.

At the local course in Milwaukee, Valley View, bike officers will regularly bike the trails and just kind of watch. All have been super friendly and understand that it's only a small portion of our sport that has that douche bag element. My thought..if you are stupid enough to smoke your weed in plain sight, vandalize, be a "douche", then you deserve to get your dumb ass arrested. Makes my playing a hell of a lot easier.

One of my buddies was a cop in Wilmington, DE and we never got hassled playing with him.

I'm just waiting forthe YouTube video of cops doing a house raid and getting busted playing wii disc golf for hours...now that would really tie this thread together...

I had an encounter earlier this week. I live right near the lake in Chicago, so the closest park for me to take my basket is the park at the beach (which has made me a lot better at putting in the wind). I get a lot of people walking by asking about the game, and I always take the time to explain, and let them try a few putts. One lady came up to me on Tuesday, yelling at me about frisbees (that's really the only word I could understand), and tried to take my putters out of my hand. She was clearly quite drunk, and not wearing very much. A cop car happened to be going by, and the two cops jumped out and ran over, and instantly put the lady in handcuffs. I tried to say that she wasn't bothering me enough to be arrested, I just wanted her to go away, but they told me she had multiple warrants out for her arrest for prostitution and armed robbery. After they put her in the car, they stopped to chat with me about what I was doing, and seemed very interested in the sport. One of them even tried a couple putts before they left.
a drunken prositute attempting armed robbery... YEAH:rolleyes:

a drunken prostitute attempting armed robbery... YEAH:rolleyes:

That's what I thought too, though looking at her you'd understand why she'd have to resort to robbery to make ends meet, her business could not possibly have been good...:p

At a local 9 hole course: When we arrived there was a wedding reception. On hole nine , the basket sits near a playground area. One by one we all tossed short shots, yelling fore every time to be careful not to over throw and hit anyone. Well the last throw just would not sit and ended up going over, we are all yelling.
We walk up and there is a lady holding the disc. Immediate I run up and apologize and ask if anyone was hurt. She was very angry and said "no" but "it could have been a lot worse". I agreed and apologized again then asked for the disc.

Apparently, if a disc lands near you on a disc golf course, you automatically acquire it as your own. She refused to return it and even had her husband approach me and ask to take my entire bag! After a few minutes they collected a couple more discs other people were throwing and got into thier car to leave.

Its only plastic but that is ridiculous. I called the cops and they showed up only a few minutes later. Amazingly she argued with the cop about how we didn't own our discs anymore, "that's the consequences of their actions."

Some people:confused:...we got our discs back though.

At a local 9 hole course: When we arrived there was a wedding reception. On hole nine , the basket sits near a playground area. One by one we all tossed short shots, yelling fore every time to be careful not to over throw and hit anyone. Well the last throw just would not sit and ended up going over, we are all yelling.
We walk up and there is a lady holding the disc. Immediate I run up and apologize and ask if anyone was hurt. She was very angry and said "no" but "it could have been a lot worse". I agreed and apologized again then asked for the disc.

Apparently, if a disc lands near you on a disc golf course, you automatically acquire it as your own. She refused to return it and even had her husband approach me and ask to take my entire bag! After a few minutes they collected a couple more discs other people were throwing and got into thier car to leave.

Its only plastic but that is ridiculous. I called the cops and they showed up only a few minutes later. Amazingly she argued with the cop about how we didn't own our discs anymore, "that's the consequences of their actions."

Some people:confused:...we got our discs back though.

Thats crazy. What made that lady think she could keep your discs? I want to hear the rest of the story.:eek:

Got pulled over for speeding on the way home from work one day. Got off with a warning after the trooper noticed the DG stickers I had on the back window and the bag I had sitting on the floor. "I'm going to have to try that sometime", is what he said.