• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf World Tour

Congratulations to Simon. Great play down the stretch, he put himself in the hunt and pulled off the win.

Avery did a great job with the spontaneous live coverage. I enjoyed his commentary much more on the live coverage than on the pre-recorded/edited footage. Avery has potential as a live on-the-course commentator.

Good stuff all around!

Yeah, AJ's live commentary was really good, much better than his prerecorded scripted style

Congratulations to Simon. Great play down the stretch, he put himself in the hunt and pulled off the win.

Avery did a great job with the spontaneous live coverage. I enjoyed his commentary much more on the live coverage than on the pre-recorded/edited footage. Avery has potential as a live on-the-course commentator.

Good stuff all around!
I always really appreciate Avery's passion for the sport. He's articulate and has put in time in this sport. I would prefer him as the face of innova/discmania tournament footage going forward. He knows what's up, knows the players, and knows all the ins and outs of the game.

Good for Simon too. It's nice seeing him play to his potential.

Here's Seppo Paju's massive eagle from today. That shot was apparently more than 500 feet!

Last edited:
Still think building an audience by broadcasting live is the way to go.

In all seriousness, if you believe that, I encourage you to be the entrepreneur that proves it true.

It costs thousands of dollars per day to execute, is logistically much more difficult, requires more skilled crew and talent, and I think the biggest live audience ever is 6000 concurrent viewers at Worlds last year? Oh, and nobody will watch it after the fact, they just whine at you for months about how they don't have time and you should cut it for them.

...consider that vs. probably $2000-$2500 for a whole weekend of edited rounds from some of the video channels out there, and with big names at the event you could pull 100k views in a month (combined).

Strictly on a $-per-view basis live coverage is a fools bet.

Two wins in two weeks for Simon, the kid is stepping up bigtime

Agreed. Simon appears to be putting in the work, and it's paying off. I've watched several videos of him, and I think his putting has improved exponentially; he is really putting the diccs into the chains, at near-McBeth levels. If he keeps this up, he'll be a serious challenger for No. 1 in the rankings...

Good stuff all around!

Agree about AJ, and as he calls more tournaments and gains experience, he'll keep getting even better. Keep it up, AJ!

Just watched the Round 1 recap from Konopiste. Feh.

I'm eager to see which corporate investors Jussi plans on selling to based on these ordinary 10 minute vids. And shouldn't the first thing a sponsor sees on yesterday's vid be McBeth's ace?

Still think building an audience by broadcasting live is the way to go.
I'm pretty amazed at the amount and quality of coverage disc golf gets as it is. Stuff has come a long, long way since the days when we used to wait for months to get Disc Golf World News in the mail to find out who won World's.

Actually that's a blatant lie. Back then we waited for months to find out who came in second at World's. Climo always won. Literally. :|

In all seriousness, if you believe that, I encourage you to be the entrepreneur that proves it true.

It costs thousands of dollars per day to execute, is logistically much more difficult, requires more skilled crew and talent, and I think the biggest live audience ever is 6000 concurrent viewers at Worlds last year? Oh, and nobody will watch it after the fact, they just whine at you for months about how they don't have time and you should cut it for them.

...consider that vs. probably $2000-$2500 for a whole weekend of edited rounds from some of the video channels out there, and with big names at the event you could pull 100k views in a month (combined).

Since you put it that way.. ;)

He just broke it down in disc golf coverage metrics™. And it makes sense.

Agreed. Simon appears to be putting in the work, and it's paying off. I've watched several videos of him, and I think his putting has improved exponentially; he is really putting the diccs into the chains, at near-McBeth levels. If he keeps this up, he'll be a serious challenger for No. 1 in the rankings...

I remember reading or watching somewhere that when he was back home for 'Winter Break' or whatever, he said the weather was so bad he hardly played at all...maybe the break helped him? Hasn't he been playing since he was a kid? We all know breaks help us mere mortals, so I'm guessing it can help supermen as well.

Either way, it's awesome to see him firing in all phases of the game, and to see someone finally beating McBeth, especially because that was expected of him.

I remember reading or watching somewhere that when he was back home for 'Winter Break' or whatever, he said the weather was so bad he hardly played at all...maybe the break helped him? Hasn't he been playing since he was a kid? We all know breaks help us mere mortals, so I'm guessing it can help supermen as well.

Either way, it's awesome to see him firing in all phases of the game, and to see someone finally beating McBeth, especially because that was expected of him.

I remember an earlier interview where Simon said something about getting caught up and not working on his game as much as he needed to. IMHO, he's worked on that, and it's showed these last few weeks. His approach shots have been very accurate and consistent, and as I said before, he is putting lights-out these days.

McBeth better take notice, fer sure. IMHO it looked like he (McBeth) was pressing a bit in the late parts of the GBO and Nick Hyde Memorial. It's not going to be as easy for him as it was last year (relatively speaking, of course).

Lol. Pass.

Nobody will watch live videos after the fact? Isn't Smashboxx's 3 hour Final Round Coverage from this year's Memorial up to 74k views?

100k views in one month? For a recap? Really? Wow, ok. SpinTV's hour-long Final Round Recap from LaMi has 80k views so far and it's been seven weeks. That's a nice total. Not quite 100k but still nice, to be sure. But it's also not many more views than that Smashboxx video of the Final Round from the 2016 Memorial, which was live.

I don't really care which approach makes better business sense. My only point was that no advertisers will pay serious money to sponsor a disc golf that doesn't have an audience, no matter how slick any promotional videos showing it might be.

Great final round coverage, and wrap-up by Avery. Jamie, the pics at the end were awesome. Was that one photographer's work, or multiple? Either way, those are some superb shots.

Nobody will watch live videos after the fact? Isn't Smashboxx's 3 hour Final Round Coverage from this year's Memorial up to 74k views?

100k views in one month? For a recap? Really? Wow, ok. SpinTV's hour-long Final Round Recap from LaMi has 80k views so far and it's been seven weeks. That's a nice total. Not quite 100k but still nice, to be sure. But it's also not many more views than that Smashboxx video of the Final Round from the 2016 Memorial, which was live.

I don't really care which approach makes better business sense. My only point was that no advertisers will pay serious money to sponsor a disc golf that doesn't have an audience, no matter how slick any promotional videos showing it might be.

Just FYI you're displaying your lack of reading comprehension with this response. Try reading my post again. ;)

Great final round coverage, and wrap-up by Avery. Jamie, the pics at the end were awesome. Was that one photographer's work, or multiple? Either way, those are some superb shots.

Usually the photographer for the European events is a guy named Eino Ansio, he's got a good eye for sure.

I'm actually not a part of this crew so I'm not sure the exact specs on this project. I'm stateside for the summer. :)

Holy crap, the wrap up show is incredible!!! Avery did his best Terry Bradshaw on the highlights, and yes the video and stills are amazing! Seriously, this is must watch video:

I won't give it away for those who may not know, but the "big throw" was absolutely incredible. What a finish!

Also, am I the only one who finds Avery's femal co-host very attractive? I doubt it.

I won't give it away for those who may not know, but the "big throw" was absolutely incredible. What a finish!

Also, am I the only one who finds Avery's femal co-host very attractive? I doubt it.

I'm holding off commenting for now too, but yes that throw was incredible, as was the video coverage of it.

Should we be expecting a play by play coverage video for the final round? I'm holding off watching the wrap up for the final round so as not to spoil the play by play