• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golfing in the Dark

avm0807

...any suggestion for LEDs? links online...

I have seen some guys duct tape small pin-like LEDs to the top and bottem there disc. Where can I pick up something like this? What would they be called? I search for small LEDs online...not seeing what I had in mind.

i guess ill just be prepared to not find a few tonight :)

When I play night golf I go out and buy a couple of little fishing beacons, which I think are the pin like LEDs you are talking about. They are basically mini glow sticks and you can buy them at Wal-Mart and probably any fishing supply store. I use some packing tape and put 'em on the top and you're good to go.

The onlt time I have played at night was on a course with lights. I would think you would have to be careful with courses that have rough terrain. Even though you can see your disc I would be worried about busting an ankle. In the hot summer it is nice to play at night . I wish more courses had lights.

I've played a few 'glow' rounds. We set up an urban DG course through the city. We used the large glow sticks to light up the baskets. And used a small LED light taped to the underside of your Champion or other clear disc. I thought about using a glow-in-the-dark Eagle I had. But you have to re-caharge the glow often with a camera flash. And even then I couldn't see them as good as the discs with the LED's taped to them. They got the glow sticks & LED's from Walmart. The LED light I had for my disc had an on/off (pull/push) switch, which was cool. See pic here: http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk270/jdubent08/071708 Zinks Links GLO/led001.jpg

I played once in a tournament at the pro's house whose course was located on his property. IT is Dolliwood in Ollala, wa. It was a lot of fun. In the dark you don't worry about all those trees. = )

It has been my experience that the variable of playing at night is more of a factor on your flight path, than a small stick taped to your disc. It is very hard to evaluate your throws and make any adjustments during the game.

Oh, and it is really cool and sad (conflicting emotions) to see a disc glowing, and sinking into a pond at the same time.

You can buy the little LED's at Dicks sporting goods or Bass Pro shops and sometimes walmart. They are in the fishing section near the bobbers and come in different colors (red works best IMO). The cost around $5 each but are well worth it since you can have a lot of fun playing glo and they turn off so you can reuse them for multiple rounds. They look just like the pic in DiscChainBasket18's post.

thanks for all the input. i got to play the final holes of dubs last night with some of the fishing led beacons.... someone was selling them when i showed up (perfect!). they worked very well... not to mention...it was pretty damn cool watching the disc fly. i was finding discs easier than i usually do during the daytime!

they do make the disc slightly more stable... may have to buy some lighter plastic (gorilla glue these suckers to the bottem?).

Latest posts