• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Jock Armory/Quiver sling bags

It's the same strap the bag comes with. I'm not trying to troll DJ just want people to be aware. I for one think we should support disc golf companies. My only concern was they acting like the built this new bag with a new strap that is the latest and greatest.

Thanks DiscOh - we'll take note to be much more careful with our wording in the future. We certainly didn't aim to mislead. Feel free to PM me with any more constructive feedback that you may have.

I'm sorry if anyone has felt mislead here. We tried hard to explain exactly what we were selling - a sling bag that we have found works well with disc golf. We never claimed to have created a custom bag - just that we had bags for sale and had experimented with customized variations. It in no way was a gimmick to drive profits - in fact, we lost money on each large sling bag just to see if the sling bags were something that people would be interested in before we spent time/money developing a prototype.

To be completely honest, we completely misjudged the disc golf community's support of disc golfer run companies (apparel/graphic tees in our case) and spent way too much money to learn that lesson (more than I'd care to admit), so we opted to be more cautious with a bag endeavor and instead opted to float a couple reasonably priced bags out to the community to see if there was any interest before we dove into spending thousands more building custom bags that we *think* people *might* like.

Again, when we looked to find inexpensive sling options and we were unable to find any - looks like others had more success. Yet isn't this the same concept as dying a disc, except for dying a disc costs $.50 cents and sells for $10-$25 over the disc cost (20 to 50 times markup). Ultimately, we felt that this was a good price point to have people try out the sling design (would have sold it cheaper if our supplier would have allowed it - we signed agreements that we would "embellish" the bag prior to sale .... apparently only they can sell the bag as-is).

At any rate, I have followed up with each disc golfer who purchased these bags and will work resolve any "buyers remorse".

No hurt no foul...I definitely didn't get the impression that anyone felt that way. I think the convo just evolved as they normally do. Very cool of you to post on here and share the skinny, though! :thmbup:

I have very little experience with the textile products, but I'd be willing to bet that you could find a supplier of the same/similar product that might meet your needs better, without restrictions. Might be more hassle than it's worth, though, especially for the niche. For sure, though, if you visit the trade shows and make some contacts, you can find one of the many importers that will have/do exactly what you want - sometimes there are tradeoffs in regard to shipping and guarantees, so it pays to shop around and examine the products/packaging closely (and hope that if you go bottom-dollar with a supplier that what you will receive is, in fact, what you saw in the samples!).

The guys found a product that might work well in the disc golf field, bought some, had their logo embroidered on it and sold them for a small profit. Nothing wrong with that at all. Dynamic Discs do that with plastic every day. People do that with dye jobs all the time. I have no problem with that. If you found them cheaper then that's fine too. I don't think anybody's integrity has been or should be called into question over someone trying to turn a profit with their business......... I think the bags look kinda cool but I can't ever see throwing while wearing one. I already have a crunch box as well that fits this purpose, if I didn't I would give it a try.......jerry

Thanks for all the feedback! In addition to the posts here, we have received PMs, emails, and phone calls in reference to these bags. We are currently evaluating the feedback and deciding what our next step will be. We have received a number of people who are interested in the sling bag idea. Yet, we are not ready to dive into custom bag manufacturing. Even still, there has been interest in the existing bags (especially the smaller sling) – many requesting the bag as-is, as well as a number of requests pending certain additions/changes. So far I can't say that there has been a "this is a common minimum solution" or "here is the ultimate solution" with consideration to cost.

So here is what we are thinking and we'd love to hear what you guys think.
- Offer the unaltered bag with no embellishments and no modifications at a slight discount
- Offer an altered bag with selectable pre-delivery enhancements (see options below)
- Offer each enhancements as a separate item for purchase so that people who already have this bag, or bought it somewhere else can use them (may require manual modifications).

Potential Enhancements:
- Disc divider/cage
- Drink holder
- Stabilizer strap

We hope that with these adjustments the bags will appeal to a wider number of people while still at a reasonable rate. Then, if we continue to gain traction with the sling bags we may apply what we learn toward custom sling bags. I'm thinking out loud here a bit, but might entertain an option for a trade-in system where if you purchased your bag from us we would allow you to trade it in toward a new custom bag. We would then use the traded in bags to promote disc golf in some way such as donate them to EDGE (http://www.edgediscgolf.org/), package them as start up kits, or something similar to help grow disc golf.

All this hinges on others finding these bags fill a need in their game - which is pending additional feedback.

Thoughts?

TDJ a drink holder would make these bags especially the smaller one more desirable imo. Also sending u a PM.

I must commend Disc Jock's acceptance of criticism/feedback and willingness to consider change. After receiving the bag and trying it on, my general feedback was that I do not believe the bag (quiver) is currently able to accomplish the main selling point that sets it apart from other bags - the ability to wear this bag while driving, without materially altering your drive. I don't think this could be accomplished without an additional strap to secure the bottom side of the bag that does not currently have a strap to the main strap that goes across your chest. May I suggest using a clip like this: clip to attach at each end (bottom of corner of bag and big strap). Without a stabilizer strap, a water bottle in a holder will make the bag even more floppy on your back, and seems like a rather trivial addition to me. Disc divider would be very nice, as well as a modification to the front pocket so that it can fit a putter.

I currently plan to sell or give away the quiver I purchased, but would purchase a new one if it can deliver on the idea of a bag to wear while driving.

After having a couple days to mull over the bags, here's what I've concluded:

The Quiver is the simplest bag to modify. The front pocket is a little too small to be a putter pocket, unfortunately. It would be best served as a miscellaneous pocket (keys, wallet, etc.) Something to consider would be an organizer much like The Armory has in its front pocket. Pencil holder, card slot, mini pocket, etc. The (very) small mp3/phone pocket inside is an easy fix to sew in a cheap, larger pocket. As for the inside of the main compartment, a divider is the simplest fix. I will be taking it one small step further and propping the divider on one side with either a wedge or a wide piece of PVC placed on the far side to angle the divider more towards the opening so I'm not reaching all the way in to find the right disc. Obviously there are other things that could be added; a drink holder, a cell phone pocket like The Armory has, etc. But these are things not even a NutSac has and that is much pricier.

The Armory is a bit of a different beast. I wanted to like it. I really did. But the work that it would take to make it a DG-specific bag is…daunting. First, the main compartment's zipper opening only goes about ¾ of the way up the bag. The bottom does have a flat surface when pushed out, so at the minimum a frame is needed. With a frame it wouldn't really need a divider, but it would still only hold 6-8 discs in there. The back is padded nicely so you wouldn't really feel the frame. The second compartment would benefit from a larger disc pocket to hold 3-4 discs. With the pocket holding the discs in the center of the compartment, it would minimize the bottom-heavy bulkiness the bag suffers from as it is now. The front compartment is hit and miss. I like all of the organizers and places I can put pens/cards/etc. The elastic pocket is wide enough to fit a putter, but not deep enough to let the compartment zip closed. I'm going to see if I can cut out the stitching on the bottom of the elastic pocket and give it the inch or so it needs to zip shut. The side pocket is fine for towels/keys/bug spray/sunscreen/birdie bag/etc. The top pocket can be used for the same stuff, but not much else. It's not wide enough for a putter. I like the strap though. It has the phone case, the extra carabiner loops, and can be switched at the base to either go over the right or left shoulder depending on your comfort. Whichever strap connection you're not using can be used to hook on a towel or birdie beads or something. The bag has a mesh bottle holder that will NOT fit a 32 oz. Nalgene, as far as I can tell. But if you're going away for a weekend or day trip and you just want to throw some stuff in a bag, it will work great. It also would make an interesting DIY project and still cost less than most DIY bags out there.

Great points guys. However, what putters are you trying to fit in the front pouch on the quiver? Every putter we tried fit right in there – although obviously that is not the intended behavior.

As it stands now, the idea of the sling bag is not quite captured in either of these bags for your usage. In the half dozen+ bags that we distributed prior to making them available on our site we had more favorable reactions. Perhaps it was miss-set expectations as they were sold "commercially" or perhaps these bags are simply better suited for casual players?

After reviewing the similarly priced bags (starter bags like DGA's - http://www.amazon.com/DGA-Disc-Golf...A94S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1337902069&sr=8-2, Lightning's - http://www.amazon.com/Lightning-Dis...NO/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1337902069&sr=8-13, Fade Lite - http://www.amazon.com/Fade-Lite-Dis...=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1337902197&sr=1-9, etc.) they all generally do have a drink holder these days, yet they don't often have any disc separation, and are equally priced in the $15-20 range. Trying to get a sense of apples to apples and where this bag might fit into the market (and what a new custom bag would need to fulfill the less casual players needs).

Yes the bigger bag does potentially have further to go. It comes with so many extra amenities (more space in the pockets, more pockets, etc.) that it may actually work against itself. Yet at the same time we have a guy who went from a competition 20+ disc bag to this bag and says he'll never go back. Again, perhaps it better suited for the 'casual' vs. 'competitive' audience?

Thanks again for the feedback – keep it coming!

Oh boy. Granted, I like "The Armory" better than "The Squib" name-wise. But both of you should dump that bag anyways. It looks really versatile but so much of it doesn't QUITE work. It's a frustrating experience trying to do anything but throw 9 or 10 discs into it and go.

Stick with the Quiver, make it a viable 6-8 disc sling, charge $20 and people will be happy.

got one from hyzerbomb and hope it works out well. I wanted something in between my nutsac and Innova Discarrier that had a water bottle holder. I might consider doing a custom frame or just sticking a basic innova accordian style divider in the main pocket.

got one from hyzerbomb and hope it works out well. I wanted something in between my nutsac and Innova Discarrier that had a water bottle holder. I might consider doing a custom frame or just sticking a basic innova accordian style divider in the main pocket.

That's not a bad Idea! I have a couple of extra accordion dividers floating around.

Yeah we noticed that hyzerbomb posted that recently as well. I thought that all of Wes's bags were custom, but it looks like his lower cost bags are not (same supplier).

Only ordered a few by request. No hard feelings we hope, and it was great timing since we released our travel bag at the same time. DJ has some cool apparel and is moving in the right direction. Keep up the great work and the support of disc golf. Oh, and go buy some shirts from DJ and like that Facebook page for them, I know they will appreciate it.

Only ordered a few by request. No hard feelings we hope, and it was great timing since we released our travel bag at the same time. DJ has some cool apparel and is moving in the right direction. Keep up the great work and the support of disc golf. Oh, and go buy some shirts from DJ and like that Facebook page for them, I know they will appreciate it.

Ha! None here, just ironic timing. Welcome to the sling storm. ;) Likewise, bop over to hyzerbomb's Facebook page - they are close to giving away some swag.

It is always nice to see the interaction between owner/customer in such a positive light. Although I don't own any of either DJ or HB products, I do admire the effort made from both of you to get feedback (both positive and negative) in order to make the customers happy.

That's not a bad Idea! I have a couple of extra accordion dividers floating around.

I'll have to get the bag in my hands to really see how it will work but I may try to stitch one of those accordian style dividers into the main compartment. I'm hoping to get one putter in the front, 2 mids in the smaller main part, and then about 5 distance/fairway drivers in the divider. I know I can fit more but I still want to keep it light.

I just hope the nylon holds up for a few years but even if it doesn't last it's not an expensive bag. Can anyone post some pics of the inside of the bag? maybe with it loaded full of discs?

Latest posts