• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Suggestions

nygfaninva

Birdie Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
My son throws RHFH with a TeeRex. He says he loves the Tee Rex and we upgraded him from DX to Star, but he continues to have trouble flattening it out and it also sails right as it tails off an awful lot. I do not throw FH so I was wondering if anyone could recomend a better disc for him that may help him flatten it out.

My son throws RHFH with a TeeRex. He says he loves the Tee Rex and we upgraded him from DX to Star, but he continues to have trouble flattening it out and it also sails right as it tails off an awful lot. I do not throw FH so I was wondering if anyone could recomend a better disc for him that may help him flatten it out.

The Tee Rex is a quite overstable disc, and inless you have the power behind it, its not going to flatten out.

listen to the people that throw FH as that is my weakest shot. BUT yesterday I tried it with a Groove somebody gave me and it flew fast and straight with a nice predictable fade off at the end, nothing too severe. So far its the only disc I've been able to forehand with control. I'm excited to see what everyone suggests so I can try them it too.

What kind of distance is he getting?

(I throw LHFH)

I am a gazelle fanatic and can throw upto 300' dead straight.

I somehow FH an archangel about 400' one day too...never have replicated it or tried.

Point is I think something a little more stable and a little slower would probably get better results.

The Teebird or Valkyrie might be better for him, although Im not sure how big he is or how far hes throwin. I'd advise against a Boss, Groove, Xcal, Max if hes having trouble with a Star TeeRex.

Hey even Innova says its good for side arm...haha.

I don't know, it was my first disc and I do really well with it...and its about as close to stable as you can get without going under/over...and slow enough to not bomb (I have an Orc and absolutely cannot throw it yet...I get maybe 10' on the Gaz)

If it is going off too much to the right, he needs to try something slower or less stable or both. A teerex is a very fast, very stable disc. When the websites recommend it for forehanders, that is because you generally throw a slightly faster, more stable disc forehand than backhand because it is easier to get snap/spin on it.

If you want to stick with a fast disc, that will flatten out more, go with a Beast or a Surge SS.

I humbly suggest the Teerex's slower cousin-Teebird!
great forehander- as is a Valk, no offense to either disc, just personal choice, also of late my Monarch has been quite straight as a forehander, its champ just wearing in.

About as fast and less stable without being flippy, the Wraith.

I started throwing just FH. Teerex is a prettty extreme disc to start with. Def think less overstable and/or slower would be the way to go. However, since he actually likes the Dx Teerex, neutral discs like teebird would probably just flip over on him in a heartbeat, so still need some speed/overstability to crank on with that sidearm snap.
Just as a point of reference, I drive FH with a 170g Pro Wraith. Not quite a teerex, but similar speed at least.

With all that in mind, here are some other good discs to try.

DX Viking- flys straight with a small, predictable fade at the end. Less S than a wraith. Champion version fades much harder at end of flight. This disc does not like to S curve.

Viper-still overstable, but slower. The more you beat it in, the straighter it will fly

Or perhaps an Orc or starfire

Keep in mind hes used to a dsic that has no High speed turnover, and significant amt of low speed fade, so the key should be replicating that in a lower speeds/lower fades, which should lead to a striaght flight. Many discs mentioned, like the Beast & Valkyrie all tend to S-curve due to turnover, which is not what he likes about the teerex, im guessing, so switching to a beast would be a totally different animal, methinks

Get him a bunch of different type of discs from locals (used) and let him decide.
(open field throws)

Saves a lot of time and money.

:^p

old t-bird

the straightest disc I have ever thrown was an old t-bird. Everything was faded away on it except for part of the word innova and at the top it said ultra long straight driver. I just purchased 10 brand new regular t-birds and am throwing nothing but them. If someone looked in my bag they would think "man this dude likes t-birds a little to much." second place is my number 4 driver by lightning. I gave my #4 to a pro to throw and he put so much on it that it curved to the right instead of finishing to the left.

Like many others here I would suggest the Teebird. I also started with a TeeRex and throw RHFH. I started with that disc because a buddy gave it to me when I was just starting out. I switched back to the Teebird and have found it to be more consistent and almost as long off the tee. He might also have OAT issues and throwing a slower disc (Teebird) would help identify this problem.