• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DiscDot Putting Aid?

GripEnemy

*Super Moderator*
Staff member
Premium Member
I keep seeing these on every disc site, but there's zero discussion about them on DGCR. Anybody own or use these before?

Half of me thinks it's a waste of money but I do believe it would work better than just, "pick a chain link and focus on that" - your thoughts?

https://discdotusa.com/

I got two in a player's pack recently. While they are nice to have and easy to install, I am of the mindset practice how you play. Disc dots are a neat idea but can't help unless you can't have them on every basket you play imo.

I got two in a player's pack recently. While they are nice to have and easy to install, I am of the mindset practice how you play. Disc dots are a neat idea but can't help unless you can't have them on every basket you play imo.

Exactly my thought....yes it gives you a target to focus on when practicing, but what do you focus on when actually playing? You get so used to focusing on the Disc Dot and not a specific link. Also, how much does the Disc Dot affect the disc when it hits the thing? Does a player have to make adjustments for the reaction of the disc hitting the Disc Dot...and then re-adjust when the Disc Dot doesn't exist?

If I want something to focus on while practicing, I can put a small piece of painter's tape on a chain link and serve the same purpose...with less chance of my disc being redirected by hitting the tape. But I prefer to focus on an actual link since that is what I need to do when playing.

I have them on my practice baskets. When I have them indoors in the winter it's nice since the space I have them in isn't illuminated super well.

Exactly my thought....yes it gives you a target to focus on when practicing, but what do you focus on when actually playing? You get so used to focusing on the Disc Dot and not a specific link. Also, how much does the Disc Dot affect the disc when it hits the thing? Does a player have to make adjustments for the reaction of the disc hitting the Disc Dot...and then re-adjust when the Disc Dot doesn't exist?

If I want something to focus on while practicing, I can put a small piece of painter's tape on a chain link and serve the same purpose...with less chance of my disc being redirected by hitting the tape. But I prefer to focus on an actual link since that is what I need to do when playing.

I also use the "focus on a link" method. But to answer the questions you raised, I compare this to meditation sessions that emphasize breathing. It's a similar training aid. It teaches you how to focus - so you become better at focus, when it counts.

It's absolutely the same with choosing a link or using painters's tape. It's learning the skill of quieting down and focusing, so you can perform. "Learning and repeating the routine" seems to be a universally-recommended approach to putting.

Do you ever putt something down on the field, like a length of pipe/driveway-marker, to serve as a guide so that you can work on your footwork? It's the same principle.

Me personally, I struggle with my eyes literally becoming unfocused, I mean staring off into the middle distance, halfway through my putting stroke. Having something very obvious to focus on helps me work on literally maintaining the focus of my eyes. YMMV.

I agree with the people who say it gives them something to practice focusing on. My only thought/issue is that hitting the spot you are focusing on can cause your disc to react differently than when it hits a chain without the Disc Dot. So if you are altering your throw due to how the disc reacts when it hits the Disc Dot...it may be helping with your focus, but not with your actual putting.

I agree with the people who say it gives them something to practice focusing on. My only thought/issue is that hitting the spot you are focusing on can cause your disc to react differently than when it hits a chain without the Disc Dot. So if you are altering your throw due to how the disc reacts when it hits the Disc Dot...it may be helping with your focus, but not with your actual putting.
I might be wrong since I haven't held one in my hand but I have a hard time seeing those lil guys doing anything significant to the catching ability of the basket

I kind of like them, but they do seem a LITTLE gimmicky in a pet rock sorta way. The nice thing about them is if I'm trying to hit THAT link, I have immediate feedback if I hit that exact link dead-on, if I went 1 link low, 1 link high, etc. My eyes aren't otherwise good enough to pick out the impact point of a specific link from 30 feet away.

I've also seen some success with newer players using it as a reminder to focus on the chain, as it seems like the eyes is more naturally attracted to the basket. It's a good "chin up" reminder.

I think there's certainly some repetitiveness benefits...if you're used to staring at the dot, and you always have the dot X number of links from the top, eventually your mind focuses on that spot, whether the dot is there or not. If you can make that habit, instead of an intentional thought, sounds better to me.

It seems like the disc dot can be a useful tool to train your eyes and mind when practicing putting. I have never used one, but have used similar tools in other sports and it helped.

I can see what you are saying, but if you always practice like you play, when do you have a chance to try out new things. I would become stale very quick if I did the same thing over and over again.

Hate to be so cynical. But this us just a cheap trinket cash grab. Every industry has these little plastic pieces of garbage floating around.
For me, I just see it as more garbage for a problem that didn't need a solution.

It seems like the disc dot can be a useful tool to train your eyes and mind when practicing putting. I have never used one, but have used similar tools in other sports and it helped.

I can see what you are saying, but if you always practice like you play, when do you have a chance to try out new things. I would become stale very quick if I did the same thing over and over again.

If these could help someone by all means try it. They are cheap and easy to install like I said. I always look for ways to improve. When I'm trying something new especially with putting I go through my whole routine and give it a fair shot. That's means multiple lies and angles especially when trying new putters or strokes. I need to replicate what's going be on the course so disc dots don't help me in my mind.

The nice thing about them is if I'm trying to hit THAT link, I have immediate feedback if I hit that exact link dead-on, if I went 1 link low, 1 link high, etc.
Dang we play different sports. My feedback is did I hit metal or did my miss land in circle 1, circle 2, or neither?

So am I the only one who uses the reflective tape that we have on baskets around here as my focus point? In the absence of it, I usually pick a link in the center or just to the right side and about mid level of the chains.

Dang we play different sports. My feedback is did I hit metal or did my miss land in circle 1, circle 2, or neither?

Dang, it seems if you are concerned about landing your misses in circle 2, there are other things to worry about, such as speed control, height, etc.

If these could help someone by all means try it. They are cheap and easy to install like I said. I always look for ways to improve. When I'm trying something new especially with putting I go through my whole routine and give it a fair shot. That's means multiple lies and angles especially when trying new putters or strokes. I need to replicate what's going be on the course so disc dots don't help me in my mind.

Yes, that makes sense, especially if you are moving positions on the putting basket.