• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discing down adventures.

I wonder if I'll be like that one day. I mean, I probaly will be throwing putters and mids and fairway drivers for the distances I do now, but as the discs and players get more and more advanced, I will be sitting there throwing a Teebird or something and then there will be a kid throwing some sort of putter with technology we havent heard of yet for holes up to 400'.

I mean, eventually; I'll be too old to care anymore, right? Like a rusty old salt still playing vinyl because "It sounds better and more authentic", my discs would still be made out of plastic.

^^^ :|:|:| vinyl does sound better... waaaaaay better and I'm not old.

If anything you'll be one of those dude throwing a boss 180' in the senior master's devision.

I wonder if I'll be like that one day. I mean, I probaly will be throwing putters and mids and fairway drivers for the distances I do now, but as the discs and players get more and more advanced, I will be sitting there throwing a Teebird or something and then there will be a kid throwing some sort of putter with technology we havent heard of yet for holes up to 400'.

I mean, eventually; I'll be too old to care anymore, right? Like a rusty old salt still playing vinyl because "It sounds better and more authentic", my discs would still be made out of plastic.

I'm probably a good 30-50 feet further than my cuz on distance (my mid is his fairway, my fairway is his distance driver), but I watched him hit metal twice and near-miss about 3-4 times from 100-200 ft out on these beautiful hyzer approach lines with a Star Mako...

He's a dynamite touch/finesse player...so it's not all about power and distance.

I'm probably a good 30-50 feet further than my cuz on distance (my mid is his fairway, my fairway is his distance driver), but I watched him hit metal twice and near-miss about 3-4 times from 100-200 ft out on these beautiful hyzer approach lines with a Star Mako...

He's a dynamite touch/finesse player...so it's not all about power and distance.

No doubt. I woulndt have been able to score as well as normal while playing a full round with the pec drill otherwise last weekend. Made me really place my shots.

Yea, I'm learning there's a time to not have a run up with my mid's and putters. Gets me a little off axis.

BUT, I am having a terrible time learning to throw lines.

And don't let the getting older thing worry you. My buddy is 57, and he has enough accuracy and distance to beat me pretty often. You just need to adjust your game, and work on new skills as you age and change.

So I decided to disc down for a few days.

Personal Course Record: -7 for 9 holes

Day One - Z Xpress First Round -2 Second Round -6
Day Two - KC-Pro Roc First Round -3 Second Round -5
Day Three - ESP FLX Challenger First Round -2 Second Round -4
Day Four - ESP FLX Surge First Round -5 Second Round -4
Day Five - Z Nuke First Round -1 Second Round -1

I need to go out with 3 at a time. 1 driver 1 mid-range 1 putter

General concensous I like options...

I have just started out my DG "career" about 3 months ago. Naturally I thought that I can't make any decent distance without those too wide rimmed discs and now I have a pile of plastic waste in my bag…

Luckily I realized that: 1) I have to learn basics 2) and the discing down is the right way to achieve my goal.

I think that I'm going to use either 3 discs: MVP M-Ion, Discraft Z BuzZz and Discmania S-PD or more extreme version with 2 discs: Innova DX Classic Roc and Innova DX Teebird.

What is your honest opinion about this 2 disc combo?

Luckily I realized that: 1) I have to learn basics 2) and the discing down is the right way to achieve my goal.

What is your goal? Are you trying to clean up your throw, learn to throw new lines, improve your distance with mids and putters, or perhaps all of the above?

Once you have chosen a goal, you can pick discs that will help you achieve it. Ion / Wizard / Aviar etc. would be great for working on putter drives and cleaning up your throw. Similarly, Buzzz / Roc and Comet / Fuse are great for working on your midrange game.

Stable drivers like the Teebird and S PD will mask OAT, but are useful for working on keeping the nose down.

If you are going to use only two or three discs, you are going to learn the heck out of them so pick discs that you may want in your bag permanently.

Again, I recommend picking a goal(s) and choosing discs that will help you achieve the goal.

Good luck!

I have just started out my DG "career" about 3 months ago. Naturally I thought that I can't make any decent distance without those too wide rimmed discs and now I have a pile of plastic waste in my bag…

I think that I'm going to use either 3 discs: MVP M-Ion, Discraft Z BuzZz and Discmania S-PD or more extreme version with 2 discs: Innova DX Classic Roc and Innova DX Teebird.

What is your honest opinion about this 2 disc combo?

I'm not crazy about it. It's a little limiting, you'd have to FH both to cover a lot of left to right shots. I also think you should stick with a putter, so if the Classic Roc is your go-to putter than you're okay there.

Ideally, if you want to work on what Monocacy is talking about, the best discs for that are neutral stability discs, something that you can turn over and get to fade pretty equally, so Comets, Fuses, QMS, Leopards, beat Buzzz, Ion, Aviar, beat P-PD, beat DX Teebird, etc.

Well, I've found that I've ended up discing down without even noticing. I only throw half a bag it seems, most rounds.

Drivers(in order of use):

Two TeeBirds (DGCR stamped), 150g each
DX Cheetah, 164g
Vintage Discraft Cyclone, weight unknown... feels in the high 160g area.

Midranges:

DX Cobra, 146g
Champion Panther, 167g
DX San Marino Cobra, 167g

Putters:

GumbPutt*, 175g
Medium Ion, 175g

*Not the crappy Blunt GumbPutt DGA makes now. I mean the original 1980's GP.

The dual Teebirds, the light Cobra and the Gumbputt are by far the main discs I throw. The Teebirds get me distance over 300' most throws, the Cobra has gotten me more 100' birdies than anything else I have ever thrown and the GumbPutt will go in even if it brushes two chains.

The Cyclone and Cheetah only get brought out on gusty days, the vintage Cobra on holes where I need a roller, the Panther for light anhyzer or heavily wooded holes(it's bright neon green and real easy to spot) and the Medium Ion... well, almost never.

Last edited:
Lose the Cheetah and Cyclone and get a heavier Teebird for wind if the lite Teebirds work well for you. a 150 and a heavier one would cover your backside and keep you with the same look, touch and feel. Should lead to more consistency. As you disc down, cover as many shots/lines with as few molds as possible. You are headed in a good direction a lot faster than I did.

I would advise choosing the cyclone or cheetah over the teebird. You'll gain more control and consistency. But I would also advise selling your vintage cyclone and cashing in on it or putting it on the a wall or something. Buy a new cyclone (ESPs are most like the vintage ones since they were retooled).

Yeah, the TeeBirds are a bit light. I'm going to get a midweight, but I'm not sure if I should stick with the Star plastic for it or go with another choice.

I had a 150g DX TeeBird (which is at the bottom of a pond) that I really liked and a 171g 12x Champ Teebird (which is, coincidentally, at the bottom of the same pond) that was pretty good, but was more overstable than the others.

And I'm actually getting better consistency with the TeeBirds than with the Cheetah. The Cyclone is a close second, though.

After reading this thread I'm going to disc down for a while and try to fix my form. Right now I throw my drivers about 330', mids 260-275 and can throw a putter around 240 or so. I have some different mids and putters and am looking for some feedback for putting a bag together.

175 soft warlock - my main putter, can throw it 240
173 SSS warlock - Straight or anhyzer shots
173 D challenger - slightly overstable putter for driving
175 X Buzz - Straight to turn over shots
175 glo Z Buzz - More overstable than my X buzz
175 ESP Meteor - Turnover or Hyzer-flip drives
175 FLX Drone - Overstable

I also have a 166 Champ Teebird, 173 ESP Tracker, 170 Star Eagle-X, 174 Z Stalker I could throw in but I'd like to stick with only mids and putters. I also have a Pro Rhyno but it's white and it's snowy here so that doesn't work for me. Any suggestions are welcome.

After reading this thread I'm going to disc down for a while and try to fix my form. Right now I throw my drivers about 330', mids 260-275 and can throw a putter around 240 or so. I have some different mids and putters and am looking for some feedback for putting a bag together.

175 soft warlock - my main putter, can throw it 240
173 SSS warlock - Straight or anhyzer shots
173 D challenger - slightly overstable putter for driving
175 X Buzz - Straight to turn over shots
175 glo Z Buzz - More overstable than my X buzz
175 ESP Meteor - Turnover or Hyzer-flip drives
175 FLX Drone - Overstable

I also have a 166 Champ Teebird, 173 ESP Tracker, 170 Star Eagle-X, 174 Z Stalker I could throw in but I'd like to stick with only mids and putters. I also have a Pro Rhyno but it's white and it's snowy here so that doesn't work for me. Any suggestions are welcome.

Keep a driver or two in the bag to help with nose issues. All of the one you mentioned will work well. I'm personally a fan of Eagles, but that's me. I've also never thrown a Stalker, so I don't know for sure about that one, but I know it's a fairway type driver, with a shorter wing.

Keep a driver or two in the bag to help with nose issues. All of the one you mentioned will work well. I'm personally a fan of Eagles, but that's me.

I like the eagle too, I'm not too big of a fan of the Teebird, and I really don't throw much Innova all around but I think I'll keep the Eagle in my bag, for the most part I throw it just as far as a surge.

So I'm thinking of re discing down for a while to eek out some more distance for spring, so my bag is gonna be like this,

Voodoos (all different kinds, hpp, organic, s, sss,)
ESP Meteor
Z Buzzz
ESP Buzzz
ESP Wasp
Z Stalker
DX Gazele

Idk if I'll get rid of my drivers entirely, but I'm thinking about trying to avoid them at all costs.

Does this bag look solid to you guys? Criticism welcomed.

This may not be "discing down" in the purest sense, but I've been using a PD (speed 9) as my fastest driver and have been throwing my newish P-line and my beat-in S-line as far was my Destroyers/Forces/Hurricanes were going a few months ago....with greater consistency and control, too.