• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discing down adventures.

This may not be "discing down" in the purest sense, but I've been using a PD (speed 9) as my fastest driver and have been throwing my newish P-line and my beat-in S-line as far was my Destroyers/Forces/Hurricanes were going a few months ago....with greater consistency and control, too.

Awesome toothy. and that is generally how it goes, whatever disc you "downgrade" to will go as far as the discs you use to throw. I actually throw my comet farther than I ever TL or other disc now... time to move up! (for me)

175 soft warlock - my main putter, can throw it 240
173 SSS warlock - Straight or anhyzer shots
173 D challenger - slightly overstable putter for driving
175 X Buzz - Straight to turn over shots
175 glo Z Buzz - More overstable than my X buzz
175 ESP Meteor - Turnover or Hyzer-flip drives
175 FLX Drone - Overstable

I also have a 166 Champ Teebird, 173 ESP Tracker, 170 Star Eagle-X, 174 Z Stalker I could throw in but I'd like to stick with only mids and putters. I also have a Pro Rhyno but it's white and it's snowy here so that doesn't work for me. Any suggestions are welcome.

You could check out "The Process" thread for something similar to what you are looking at but I will suggest picking between the warlock and the challenger. Keep yo Buzzz and meteor, drop the drone (maybe get a hornet, maybe not...). Only keep the overstable mid after you've learned to make the Buzzz do hyzers well and perform "okay" in the wind.

As far as your driver I suggest using that tracker and eagle IFyou are going to use drivers at all. You're choice but I have really liked not using drivers for a while. But that's me... and garu usually pops in to disagree with me.

So I'm thinking of re discing down for a while to eek out some more distance for spring, so my bag is gonna be like this,

Voodoos (all different kinds, hpp, organic, s, sss,)
ESP Meteor
Z Buzzz
ESP Buzzz
ESP Wasp
Z Stalker
DX Gazele

If you use drivers drop the stalker and just use the gazelle. Try the stalker later after you're familiar with the gaz. Good choice on the Buzzz Wasp combo. Do you need the Meteor if you have the ESP Buzzz? Maybe get an x buzzz?

Im getting my mids narrowed down, but cant wait until I do because I plan on trying to do a lot more with them than before. Right now I would say I get my Valk up to about 350'. my River and Pred 275'-325' mostly toward the top end of that but not always TBH, and my mids seem to just have a small spot between where my putters cut off at 250' and the fairways I tend to lean toward after 275' unless I dont have the height, but even then I typically start leaning on my fairway drivers too much. But its not bad seeing as beginning of last summer, I had some Google Earth humbling that my fairways werent much over 250' and the drivers would just touch 300'. I havent gained a lot more than that but Im doing it with slower fairways now.

Once I get the mids nailed down Im going to play without keeping score until I hit some goals and the first one is going to be getting those mids to 300'. Ideally, Im going to just start throwing putters on anything up to 250' and the mids should take over up to 300', then those fairways should be hitting closer to 350' and we wil see what the Valks are, but I will still throw them on holes over 350' to keep working on improving my nose angles.

Really, all Im actually doing is pushing each step of discs a little further out of my comfort zone and I think that has a lot to do with it. Im not allowing myself to say "I can get my driver there" and accepting it but rather am saying "Im going to try to push to get this slower disc there"

Ok, so I'm not currently discing down all the way, but I am leaving off the high speed drivers for the most part (except for using them in high winds). What I really wanted to contribute is that I've rediscovered the usefullness of putters for driving, among other things. There's a couple of shorter holes at the course where the drive puts a premium on placement and a putter really is the best choice. If I used a fairway or mid for the same shot, I might be able to get a tad more distance with a good shot, but the putter is just easier to hit the line with and more forgiving. The only caveats being that u do need a little more height than with faster discs and it can't be into a headwind. And another big plus is that u can usually throw a full powered shot, rather than trying to finesse too much. So I might be coming at discing down from a little different perspective, but I thought I'd throw this out there.

Not that it really matters, but I've recently become a Wizard convert (partly thanks to good deals on x-outs from MS). They're actually not quite as overstable as I was thinking but rather just pretty neutral. I think my fave is the E proline. It's stiff enough to drive with but also has a good grip to it. I also picked up a Warlock, which I planned to use for anny shots. It seems about as stable as the Wizard. Does that seem right? The plate is a little concave, so it could be due to this?

Not that it really matters, but I've recently become a Wizard convert (partly thanks to good deals on x-outs from MS). They're actually not quite as overstable as I was thinking but rather just pretty neutral. I think my fave is the E proline. It's stiff enough to drive with but also has a good grip to it. I also picked up a Warlock, which I planned to use for anny shots. It seems about as stable as the Wizard. Does that seem right? The plate is a little concave, so it could be due to this?

I say - boy, a concave flight plate typically does make a disc more stable. Wizards are considered stable and perform ok into moderate headwind on hyzer, whereas a pig or zone is overstable.

I have disced down recently and today I feel like it was all worth it. I snap cracked my teebird over 350ft on at least 2 occasions today, which was a first for me. It was a very satisfying feeling watching the disc fly that far. The first throw was hole 7 at Cedar Hill. The hole is about 558ft. Drive 200ft (tight fairway). Parked the next shot. Hole 15 same thing. Biffed drive 100ft. Approach parked it. Hole is 468ft. I'm done now.

My first effort at discing down was with a star mako and because it was too understable and would flip easily I quickly gave up and resorted back to longer drivers. Then I lost my whole bag including my mako.
After this I did more research before purchasing discs and was lucky enough to get a Z Buzzz off the marketplace for cheap. This disc has really changed my mindset on the course. Any hole 250 and under is in the easy and accurate range for my buzzz.
Once the spring/summer comes along I want to start pushing my distance with the buzzz and maybe a new midrange disc.

I tried it this weekend. My bag was...

FLX Buzzz
Z Hornet
r-pro aviar
x-link firm
1080p radius

Wow... I usually drive with a flick or destroyer and I had no idea I could throw a buzzz that far. Never tried... I out threw a buddy with the buzz and he threw a force. I have decided that I will put the flick in the bag but only for holes > 350. Going to keep the bag as-is for a tourney next weekend. Played 54 holes and ended up 9+ through all 3 rounds combined.

Great exercise for those that haven't tried. I learned a lot about how I throw and my discs.

I've been working the program about 2 months now. I've only played practice rounds, one tournament, one Ice Bowl, and one monthly in 2011.

At some point in the PDGA I played Jan 2 (first of 2011), I said forget forehands...I can throw them in practice then I shank all of them during a tourney, I can't keep doing this. So I pulled out my Roc and used it for BH drives, upshots, I almost wanted to putt with the thing. The Roc has rarely left my hand since.

At the Ice Bowl, I shaved 8 strokes off my score from last year on the same course. My round was second highest in Advanced...a 61.

At the last club monthly, on my home course, if I wouldn't have gotten a double bogey on the last hole (totally nerves cause I was about to win), I would have finished at a 67. This course is tough, to give you an idea, a 65 during a PDGA will get you around an 850 (not bad for a Gnoob aka Girl Noob, but I think it's still pronounced noob kinda like gnome) round rating. I have been averaging a good 3-5 strokes more per round here over last year.

I think the reason for the big discrepancy in strokes with the two events I'm counting is that the course I played the Ice Bowl at is a lot shorter and required almost every thing be done with a mid or putter. My home course is pretty long. There are only a handful of holes under 300 ft.

Regardless, I'm anxious to see how this translates to the spring when it's warmer. I wonder if I can get another 4-5 strokes without a big coat on. I came here Kicking and Screaming and didn't want to lose my meathook drivers for upshots...but I'm becoming a believer now.

Anyway, just thought I'd share and "KEEP COMING BACK"!

I played in an Ice Bowl as well last Saturday, first round was a 58 and the second I shot a 56 for 2nd place AMs. At the end of the tournie I relized I only used 2 different molds.

My first effort at discing down was with a star mako and because it was too understable and would flip easily I quickly gave up and resorted back to longer drivers. Then I lost my whole bag including my mako.
After this I did more research before purchasing discs and was lucky enough to get a Z Buzzz off the marketplace for cheap. This disc has really changed my mindset on the course. Any hole 250 and under is in the easy and accurate range for my buzzz.
Once the spring/summer comes along I want to start pushing my distance with the buzzz and maybe a new midrange disc.

Wait till you hear about the people who regularly throw their buzzz's 400' from a standstill... Mike C (rest his soul) will never be the same...

So yea, try thinking of everything <250' as a putter shot (not a putt but use a putter), and everything <300'-350' as mids.

I put my comet next to my friends teerex's, wraiths, and destroyers.

I came here Kicking and Screaming and didn't want to lose my meathook drivers for upshots...but I'm becoming a believer now.

I came not wanting to give up really overstable discs that I could throw flex shots easier with... now I drop my putters farther than I ever threw a driver. And now my mids farther still... now for that nosedown...

I'm gonna have to disc down all over again when my foot heals, good thing I never really disced that far up. :rolleyes: I am thinking about kicking out the Eagles and using a Cyclone and maybe snagging a Leo as my sole drivers to help knock the rust off.

I've been working the program about 2 months now. I've only played practice rounds, one tournament, one Ice Bowl, and one monthly in 2011.

At some point in the PDGA I played Jan 2 (first of 2011), I said forget forehands...I can throw them in practice then I shank all of them during a tourney, I can't keep doing this. So I pulled out my Roc and used it for BH drives, upshots, I almost wanted to putt with the thing. The Roc has rarely left my hand since.

At the Ice Bowl, I shaved 8 strokes off my score from last year on the same course. My round was second highest in Advanced...a 61.

At the last club monthly, on my home course, if I wouldn't have gotten a double bogey on the last hole (totally nerves cause I was about to win), I would have finished at a 67. This course is tough, to give you an idea, a 65 during a PDGA will get you around an 850 (not bad for a Gnoob aka Girl Noob, but I think it's still pronounced noob kinda like gnome) round rating. I have been averaging a good 3-5 strokes more per round here over last year.

I think the reason for the big discrepancy in strokes with the two events I'm counting is that the course I played the Ice Bowl at is a lot shorter and required almost every thing be done with a mid or putter. My home course is pretty long. There are only a handful of holes under 300 ft.

Regardless, I'm anxious to see how this translates to the spring when it's warmer. I wonder if I can get another 4-5 strokes without a big coat on. I came here Kicking and Screaming and didn't want to lose my meathook drivers for upshots...but I'm becoming a believer now.

what courses are those?

just wondering

Wait till you hear about the people who regularly throw their buzzz's 400' from a standstill... Mike C (rest his soul) will never be the same...

So yea, try thinking of everything <250' as a putter shot (not a putt but use a putter), and everything <300'-350' as mids.

I put my comet next to my friends teerex's, wraiths, and destroyers.

Mike C, never be the same?? Did he pull something trying to throw that Buzz 400 from the standstill? Hope not..

Regarding Roc/Comet combo...I've noticed just recently that my pretty beat in KC Roc almost perfectly overlaps my newish x Comet now. Have u come across this? I think I'll keeping beating up Roc and just have that as my turnover disc and try to keep the Comet for my straight flyer for as long as I can.

Do you have any idea whether or not he has done that yet? That would be a sight to see. I wish he would suck it up and come back, he had some good advice