• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discing down adventures.

I hate the way the Comet feels in my hand. Much like the Roc, that weird rim is a huge turnoff. I'm using Wizards and ESP Buzzz and a recently found Scout... really starting to love that Scout.

The Scout was one of the giveaway discs at our Ice Bowl this year. I used to throw my Buzzz's all the time. Now, I probably throw a Buzzz one time to every five times I throw my Scout. Love that disc!

I got the Fuse to help fix Oat problems, but am still a little unsure of how it should be flying if thrown correctly.

At the moment the Fuse is slowly annexing space in my bag from a well established lot of Stingrays.

I finally convinced my spouse (who also throws about 250) to try driving something besides speed 10+ drivers. He was AMAZED when the leopard went further than any drive he's ever thrown. And he noticed that he had a lot more control with it too. SUCCESS!

nice jen!... I appreciate that you're the one on this site. Tell him to jump in too. Now if I could just get my fiance in here...

I have been discing down for the most part awhile now. The course I play the most is very short anyways. Longest hole there is 300ft downhill, though the next hole plays longer, 280ft uphill, often into the wind. I can play the longest holes 270-300ft pretty well with a Buzzz usually, but I really need to work on throwing my putters for distance I struggle to get them out 200' accurately.

After the past two rounds, buzzzes and putters only, I've learned what you can really accomplish with a buzzz or a putter off the box. I love the amount of control I get with them and without sacrificing too much distance.

Wow.

Tonight was really humiliating. Any of you guys out at Veterans in Arlington, TX tonight, I was the crazy lady throwing discs in unthinkable directions.

My roc, leopard, and teebird are only going 20, 40, 60 feet further than my puttter. On the bright side, my putter is going 200 feet now, and with somehting I'd almost describe as accuracy as long as I don't try to throw it too hard. In fact, the accuracy is so much better with the putter than with the roc or drivers, that I am considering playing the tournament at Crowley this weekend putter only.

Nah.

gping to start throwing nothing faster than a river. Hopefully this turns out well.

I was forced to disc down...

At the end of last year my DG bag was stolen from my garage... going through tough financial times forced me to only buy what was absolutely necessary, so I purchased 2 discs, a wizard, (though it will never compare to my first run wizard I'd had since I started playing) and a driver... I choose a sidewinder because it was always my most accurately straight driver... at first it was so damned frustrating when i was used to having so many options before, but after a month of 2 disc set up, I started to improve me scores, then when I added a new KCPro ROC (that again will never compare to the one ive had as long as I've played) I was set... now my bag may look empty, but my game is getting better

^^It will force you to clean up your form, which will translate into more distance for mids and drivers.

So, yes.

So will throwing putters further automatically translate into more distance from mids on up?
Maybe. If you aren't getting the nose down enough you may not see a distance increase with your other discs. The rule of thumb is that the faster a disc is, the more nose down it requires to fly well. Putters are very forgiving when it comes to nose angle. They'll fly far with the nose up. Most drivers, however, require nose down to fly well or they might not give you much more distance than your putters.

I'd almost say you need a bit of nose up to get "big" distance from putters. They need a lot more height than drivers.

I do think I throw drivers and mids to high sometimes. Nose up, IDK? I can tickle 300 with a buzz sometimes, and average 270-280ft with good accuracy.

so i'm understanding this correctly for more distance out of putters you need the nose to be angled up and this is also true of mids but not quite as angled up as a putter otherwise they will just hyzer out correct?

I'm finally gettting control of this new bag. I hope to see some improvement in my scores soon, because the increased control is significant, and I haven't lost distance as a result of discing down. I may have already gained a little distance.

just reduced to 9 molds. the last mold to get cut was the buzzz. in certain circles, that statement could get my throat cut.

Challenger, Drone, Wasp, Glide, Stalker, Predator, Surge, Nuke, Force

so i'm understanding this correctly for more distance out of putters you need the nose to be angled up and this is also true of mids but not quite as angled up as a putter otherwise they will just hyzer out correct?

Now looka here son, nose up with any disc(putter, mid, driver) reduces distance potential. The slower the disc, the more forgiving of nose angle. Slower discs need more height to go far, but the nose angle is not as important. Putters will still fly high and nose down farther than if they were nose up, but it may only translate to 5-10% distance or so. Its just tricky to learn how to throw high and nose down.

The faster the disc with nose up, the more air it pushes under it and makes it stall out much faster and will make a much higher percentage difference. When people only learn to throw putters, they often don't learn nose angle. So once they go to throw drivers and they have the nose up and don't go much farther.