• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discing down adventures.

Been working on discing down recently, but placed a new disc order today to really solidify the bag for awhile. Here is what my bag will look like after the order comes in:

Putters:
2 173 Classic Judges

Mid Range:
175 Z Buzzz
168 X Buzzz
166 DX Wolf
3 168 X Comet

Fairways:
~150 DX Leopard
168 Pro Leopard
170 Pro Leopard
167 DX Teebird

Distance Driver:
171 DX Sidewinder

The Sidewinder is mostly in the bag at the moment to serve as an understable FH disc, but I may keep it in the bag, just so I can throw it occasionally and see if I am improving from working w/my other stuff. I'm letting the Judges replace my 172 Neutron Ion and 171 Eraser Wizard that were fighting for the putter spot in my bag. If the Judges keep the putter spot I will likely bring the Ion back for approach shots.

The Comets are largely intended for field work, but if I start throwing them well reasonably quickly, I will probably pack all 3 in my bag to help make sure they stay in similar wear. I want my form discs to all stay the same level of beat in to keep my work consistent.

Been working on discing down recently, but placed a new disc order today to really solidify the bag for awhile. Here is what my bag will look like after the order comes in:

Putters:
2 173 Classic Judges

Mid Range:
175 Z Buzzz
168 X Buzzz
166 DX Wolf
3 168 X Comet

Fairways:
~150 DX Leopard
168 Pro Leopard
170 Pro Leopard
167 DX Teebird

Distance Driver:
171 DX Sidewinder

The Sidewinder is mostly in the bag at the moment to serve as an understable FH disc, but I may keep it in the bag, just so I can throw it occasionally and see if I am improving from working w/my other stuff. I'm letting the Judges replace my 172 Neutron Ion and 171 Eraser Wizard that were fighting for the putter spot in my bag. If the Judges keep the putter spot I will likely bring the Ion back for approach shots.

The Comets are largely intended for field work, but if I start throwing them well reasonably quickly, I will probably pack all 3 in my bag to help make sure they stay in similar wear. I want my form discs to all stay the same level of beat in to keep my work consistent.

I recomend getting max weight putters b/c they're less affected by the wind. Also id recomend replacing your wolf for something else like a kite or stingray. Good call on the Teebird though :thmbup:.

I've been considering the Tursas and Flying Squirrel for that US mid slot, but they weren't part of my current order. I'm not worried about a 2 gram difference in putters. I started w/a 172 last year and my putters have always floated right around that mark. I like my Teebird well enough, may pick a different plastic one up eventually too.

The Sidewinder is mostly in the bag at the moment to serve as an understable FH disc, but I may keep it in the bag, just so I can throw it occasionally and see if I am improving from working w/my other stuff.
I don't think it's very useful to tell if you're improving or not. A good, higher power throw will look just like a bad, lower power throw. The only way to get a good flight out of it is to throw a good, low power throw (which sounds like a good candidate for a forehand turnover, so I agree with that), but that's generally not a goal people have when trying to improve. The Teebird will be way better at that.

Need to do this. Starting with taking everything out that is speed 10+.

Drivers
2x Star Valk (150g and 175g)
Champ Viking

Fairway
Champ Teebird
Star TL

Mids
KC Pro Roc
Z Buzzz

Putters
2x KC Pro Aviar

I'm honestly thinking about dropping everything but my 2 putters. Would this be beneficial at all?

Need to do this. Starting with taking everything out that is speed 10+.

Drivers
2x Star Valk (150g and 175g)
Champ Viking

Fairway
Champ Teebird
Star TL

Mids
KC Pro Roc
Z Buzzz

Putters
2x KC Pro Aviar

I'm honestly thinking about dropping everything but my 2 putters. Would this be beneficial at all?

While I think there are many who would say some putter only rounds are good for everyone to do sometimes, that looks like a pretty well balanced bag. Try that one for a few rounds. I'm actually contemplating once I get my new discs tomorrow doing a round w/just my Z and X Buzzz (X is new) and my 2 new Judges.

I'm not sure throwing speed 9 discs is truly discing down. But I guess it depends on how far you are throwing, and at what skill level you are currently at. If it was me I'd drop the Valk and Vike. And unless your TL is fairly beat or you are throwing pretty far, maybe try swapping a Leopard in for the TL, and try to work lines with a less stable driver.

I'm not sure throwing speed 9 discs is truly discing down. But I guess it depends on how far you are throwing, and at what skill level you are currently at. If it was me I'd drop the Valk and Vike. And unless your TL is fairly beat or you are throwing pretty far, maybe try swapping a Leopard in for the TL, and try to work lines with a less stable driver.

I wouldn't be using the Valk or Viking except for the longer holes. However, my TL is fairly beat in. I use it alot on one specific hole where there's a 10ft gap straight up to the pin and i love using my TL for it straight up the gap.. but you know, those times when trees move ...

My Bag isn't exactly disced down so to say,but My main Drivers I use are Speed 7 or less. It really helps with accuracy,form and good clean releases in the long run.
When I do have to use my Wraith or Archon on those 400+ foot holes I can really put the mustard on it and know it is always going to be accurate.

Anything less than 400ft I'm using my Speed 7 and Speed 6 drivers or the rest of the slower bunch.

I've got a buddy of mine doing this and he is starting to develop some good accuracy and power he's never had before. every time he see's me on the course he is thanking me for all the help. lol

New bag:

Putters:
2 173 Classic Judges Red

Mid:
168 X Buzzz Lt Blue
175 Z Buzzz Orange
168 X Comet Lt Orange
166 DX Wolf Blue

Fairway:
150 Star Leopard Yellow
168 Pro Leopard Yellow
170 Pro Leopard Yellow
167 DX Teebird Blue

I have considered the Stingray recommended by DiscinFiend on the last page in place of the Wolf. Also thought of a Flying Squirrel and a Tursas. I may pickup a Stingray soon for my daughter tho, so I'm sure I'd give it a few throws too heh. She also has 2 150 class DX Leopards I can snag. Someone gave her that Star Leopard (along w/6 other discs) yesterday, so I'm using it at the moment. I may pick up a DX Leopard of my own eventually too. The Star is more OS at the moment and the course I usually play only really has a few times I really NEED to throw that Teebird. I may experiment w/the Star covering those shots.

Also, no it isn't completed yet, but I have started a color coding of my bag. Mostly cuz I can heh.

I wouldn't be using the Valk or Viking except for the longer holes. However, my TL is fairly beat in. I use it alot on one specific hole where there's a 10ft gap straight up to the pin and i love using my TL for it straight up the gap.. but you know, those times when trees move ...

To me, one of the points of discing down is trying to stretch out you mids or fairways to hit those longer lines. To see what you can really accomplis with slower discs. Using a putter or mid on a 250' drive is easy. Even I can do that. Try leaving the Valk amd Vike in the bag and play putter only rounds or putter/mid rounds on long courses a few weeks. Your score may suffer a little, bur you'll be pleasantly surprised want you can do with slower discs once you are forced to stick with them. By keeping the speed 9's in the bag you have a crutch. And you won't really know how good you can be until you temporarily lose that crutch.

New bag:

Putters:
2 173 Classic Judges Red

Mid:
168 X Buzzz Lt Blue
175 Z Buzzz Orange
168 X Comet Lt Orange
166 DX Wolf Blue

Fairway:
150 Star Leopard Yellow
168 Pro Leopard Yellow
170 Pro Leopard Yellow
167 DX Teebird Blue

I have considered the Stingray recommended by DiscinFiend on the last page in place of the Wolf. Also thought of a Flying Squirrel and a Tursas. I may pickup a Stingray soon for my daughter tho, so I'm sure I'd give it a few throws too heh. She also has 2 150 class DX Leopards I can snag. Someone gave her that Star Leopard (along w/6 other discs) yesterday, so I'm using it at the moment. I may pick up a DX Leopard of my own eventually too. The Star is more OS at the moment and the course I usually play only really has a few times I really NEED to throw that Teebird. I may experiment w/the Star covering those shots.

Also, no it isn't completed yet, but I have started a color coding of my bag. Mostly cuz I can heh.

I would probably go with the Flying Squirrel over the Stingray and Tursas. I've heard really good things about the FS and it's supposedly easy to power down on and it not lose it's flight pattern.

I thought about getting one,but I can throw my Fuse for those shots. That would be a cool named disc to have though. Flying Squirrel :D

I thought about getting one,but I can throw my Fuse for those shots. That would be a cool named disc to have though. Flying Squirrel :D

Well, I also spent 17 years on an internet BBS under the name Slappy Squirrel (the Animaniancs character) so it's pretty much a given I will buy the Flying Squirrel at some point heh

Thanks for the kick in the pants I needed

Thank you so much for the motivation! I brought my Champion leopard, opto River, roc3 and collection of assorted midranges to my home course tonight and had a great round. I threw my roc3 280+, my leopard over 300 and generally feel great about it. It was so great to throw so much softer than I'm used to and still get good results. I have thrown 405 once or twice and it was really nice to out drive people who were throwing 11 and 12 speed discs with my leopard. I'm psyched to try this for awhile to see how it will transfer back to my drivers when I put them back in the bag. I was also psyched to see how much smoother the disc felt coming out of my hand. Wow. Thanks!

Boy this thread gets my blood boiling. But I'll avoid my usual rant about the misunderstanding of discing down and say there is a lot of good advice in this thread for new players and players who have hit a sticking point. I will rwserve my usual "holier-than-thou" judgement and wait a year....Im willing to bet that everyone here will be a much better player for taking this route.

I also like to see, especially from the last few posters, that y'all are grasping the importance of mastering stable to understable discs. I had a buddy who wanted to "disc down" for 6 months....but he was throwing Teebirds and Whippets and Rocs and BB Aviars and even had a Viper and a Gator...and he was wondering why he wasnt getting any better.

So, to prove Im not just a heartless black hole of negativity I say: good luck to all of you...dont forget to throw some distance driver field work in a few months and let us know how much farther and more accurate you are throwing!

Thank you so much for the motivation! I brought my Champion leopard, opto River, roc3 and collection of assorted midranges to my home course tonight and had a great round. I threw my roc3 280+, my leopard over 300 and generally feel great about it. It was so great to throw so much softer than I'm used to and still get good results. I have thrown 405 once or twice and it was really nice to out drive people who were throwing 11 and 12 speed discs with my leopard. I'm psyched to try this for awhile to see how it will transfer back to my drivers when I put them back in the bag. I was also psyched to see how much smoother the disc felt coming out of my hand. Wow. Thanks!

Was I the one that gave you the motivation?

I'm a bit tired,been up since 8 last night so if I wasn't the one just ignore this post lol.

I'm a bit delirious too. :p

To: AndyJB

What's your definition of discing down? Not poking the bear, just curious.

My definition: 1. Throwing discs appropriate to your arm speed.(I personally believe that people should keep throwing drivers, but a 6/7 speed as opposed to a high speed driver) 2. Not throwing anything overly stable, especially anything that is overstable for you because of it's speed. 3. Minimizing molds/discs you carry to focus on core throws. 4. More so than anything: Using the slowest speed disc you can to achieve the shot you need.

I do know there are a lot of definitions, so I am just always curious how different people define it (especially a very experienced forum user).

To: AndyJB

What's your definition of discing down? Not poking the bear, just curious.

My definition: 1. Throwing discs appropriate to your arm speed.(I personally believe that people should keep throwing drivers, but a 6/7 speed as opposed to a high speed driver) 2. Not throwing anything overly stable, especially anything that is overstable for you because of it's speed. 3. Minimizing molds/discs you carry to focus on core throws. 4. More so than anything: Using the slowest speed disc you can to achieve the shot you need.

I do know there are a lot of definitions, so I am just always curious how different people define it (especially a very experienced forum user).

Number 4 is exactly the definition. Its the same as "clubbing down" in ball golf. If you have a 265 foot hole, why throw a mid or fairway driver which could skip away or potentially by more inacuurate when you could throw a putter that will sit and stick and yet still have a darn good shot at running the chains? Thats the textbook (if there were such a thing for disc golf) definition, if you will.

Discing down as its used in this thread refers to a training technique used to bettwr your game. I (and this all personal preference) look at it the same as putter only rounds. Something that should be used after youve played a little while and have some idea of form and all that. Most folks start with the big bad warp speed stuff, which ia obviously a mistake. I reccomend all begginers start with a Valk, a Leopard, a Shark and an Aviar...or another maufacturers equovelent. So basically the Innova starter kit plus a Valk. Once the ayer is hooked (usually doesnt take long) is an optimal time to give the Valk a rest except for some occasional field work. After a month or two, when the player is really grasping thw fundamentals (and hopefully with some help from local players of a higher skill level) they can incorporate the Valk. Lots of players will find that they will be rwaching for that distance driver a lot less than they did when they first started.

My biggest gripe with discing down on these forums is when players are hittinf monster distances and then take a radical step like throwing putters only for six months, or putters and mids only. I dont think it is as beneficial as they think. Any player who has been throwing for over a year,again my opinion here so take that for what its worth, should use disxing down sparingly as a training tool. Especially if they are a tournament player. Maybe for a week or even a month in the off-season, but prederabbly just a day or two. Similar to putter only rounds. It is really useful to work out the kinks.

What Ive found, especially for me, is trying to stay competitive as a player who doesnt have some others' natural aptitude for the game, hurts my play. Its mostly mental, but it will syary to effect my form as well. Ill be throwing with OAT, whoch causes me to reach for something more OS, which gets squirrely...you get the idea. So to get my muscle memory back, Ill hit up a park course or two with some understable stuff. As of late its been a Patriot, a Tangent and my beat to heck EZE Pure. After the first two holes of playing terribly, I get back into the groove of things and after 2 or 3 rounds Im good to go for another few months.

Thats how discing down should be used for players with a modicum of experience. For newer players, as stated before, Im all for keeping it simple and understable for awhile. But I think its a bit of a misconception that radically discing down for a long period od time will give you a huge boost. It certaibly wont hurt, and it most assuredly will help, but its not the ultimate answer.

But I give praise to the last 5 or 6 people who have posted here about going with disxing down. They seem to grasp the concept fully and I guarentee they will bexome beytwr playera in the long run.