• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] Discmania Prototype January 2016 (DDX)

Somebody post this comparison video thats decent on the FB group. Ddx at 1:12

Here is my quick head to head against a Tern (Similar weights 169-171 both star-ish material, both 9/10 or 10/10). I typically throw max 350-375 golf distance (RHBH).

Raw Golf Distance Winner: Tern
Top drives for the Tern capped at around 410 feet for me. The best I could do with the DDX was 377 feet. The Tern was easier to turn over at greater heights, which led to an increased distance.

Golf/Distance Consistency Winner: DDX
Raw distance isn't everything. The Tern needs a lot more room to work. Additionally, the Tern is more vulnerable to the wind. The Tern struggles with consistency with anything that isn't a tailwind or dead still. The DDX, on the other hand, didn't really seem to care about the wind. A consistent 360-375 foot shot was easily accomplished in various wind conditions/directions.

Forgiveness Winner: DDX
If I get the nose down on the Tern, it will typically cut edge and roll. The DDX, for my style of throwing, tended to skip forward and stop. On the one hand you are 40 feet off the fairway and short, on the other you are still short but in the fairway.

When I got the nose up, they are both pretty forgiving for me without any drastic dump fades to the left.

Best Feel in the Hand: Draw
They both feel very similar in my hand. The wing is almost identical.

Closing Thoughts:
Maybe I got lucky, but my DDX flies exactly how the numbers describe. Not quite as much glide as the Tern, but a more neutral, reliable flight pattern in a variety of conditions. I wanted a longer Valkyrie, and I think I found it. Will be looking to pick up some more when they become a standard run for sure. In the mean time, the Tern needs to be worried because it's spot is in danger!

I like these. Champ tern in star plastic with (maybe just because are brand fresh compared to used) more high speed stability. In the bag for now.

Damn... I'm loving my S-Line, but would love to get a more OS version in max weight.
Per their facebook:

"Discmania Store USA That was fast! Disc Golf World Tour thanks for the support! We'll now do the aftermath and plan to release our small remaining buffer of discs if everything has worked out well in the engine room. In about 1-2 h." - 4/19 @ 15:01 EST

You might have a second shot.

Guys, they're making production runs of this disc. Unless you're shelving these as collectors or really just can't wait to throw them, I'm guessing the production runs will be out in a few weeks MAX!

Guys, they're making production runs of this disc. Unless you're shelving these as collectors or really just can't wait to throw them, I'm guessing the production runs will be out in a few weeks MAX!
I don't mind supporting tour events.

HA! Got a Red 175 Metalflake! As soon as I receive it, I'll compare it to the 166 S-Line and see how things pan out. I'm pumped!

here are PLH comparisons of the C-line metal flake DDX to a beefy/OS/high PLH champion tern and current OS/beefy bottom stamp star destroyer:

pink disc: high PLH/Beefy/OS champion tern. can be thrown as hard as a destroyer and will turn over and fight out on max D lines.
blue disc: current beffy/OS star bottom stamp destroyer (typical destroyer flight will have some turn if thrown hard and a strong finish).
red disc: C-Line metal flake DDX

msHlvvDl.jpg

UOzFeSYl.jpg

control discs:

destroyer has slightly higher PLH than tern

BZFsCMUl.jpg

destroyer has higher PLH than DDX

uDmn8rJl.jpg

champion tern and DDX have similar/same PLH

after initial inspection it looks like these C-Line Metal flake DDX's will fly like beefy/OS terns.

Last edited: