• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] Discmania Prototype January 2016 (DDX)

my DDx's are less touchy on speed. With my champ terns if i throw them perfect they will flip from hyzer, track right, and finish fairly straight...if i miss the hit, then they just kinda go straight(which is cool)...but much like the PD vs OLF and Thunderbird, the DDx i feel like has a wider range on "acceptable" speed

my DDx's are less touchy on speed. With my champ terns if i throw them perfect they will flip from hyzer, track right, and finish fairly straight...if i miss the hit, then they just kinda go straight(which is cool)...but much like the PD vs OLF and Thunderbird, the DDx i feel like has a wider range on "acceptable" speed

That is an interesting evaluation. I understand what you're talking about for sure. My good hits with the Tern can get out to 430', but if I don't get a near perfect throw I'm in the 380-390' range.

The Tern is a lot less forgiving to form errors and release angles. If I so much as hint at OAT, it will turn and burn almost every time. The DDx is nice because I can release at a variety of angles and it is still useful. The Tern is a one trick pony that, for my game, got pushed out by the DDx due to its versatility and forgiveness.

If this is what you're wanting, is a Tern not the answer? Is the DDX that much more high speed stable? I've been interested in the DDX but if the fade is that much more significant with marginally better HSS, I will probably pass on them and just stick with Terns.

Actually I'm quite happy with my seasoned Destroyers that I've been throwing for the past 4yrs or so. I just wanted to give the DDX a try since I'm a big Discmania fan.

Well I found a couple of S-lines on ebay and ordered them. A 175 and a 171. Hoping that it's less finnicky than the tern, but I can still get the same distances (if not more)

Holy frijoles.

The DDx is amazing (for me)

Got some throws in today with the two s lines I ordered. Hitting 400' on golf lines easier and more consistently than ever. Even throwing some hyzer lines in the 375 range with no inkling of trying to turn out of the angle. Much less speed and angle sensitive than the tern which was exactly as advertised and what I hoped for, but I'll probably keep a pro tern in the bag until I get some DDx beat in.

This disc is easily my favorite distance driver I've ever thrown.

Holy frijoles.

The DDx is amazing (for me)

Got some throws in today with the two s lines I ordered. Hitting 400' on golf lines easier and more consistently than ever. Even throwing some hyzer lines in the 375 range with no inkling of trying to turn out of the angle. Much less speed and angle sensitive than the tern which was exactly as advertised and what I hoped for, but I'll probably keep a pro tern in the bag until I get some DDx beat in.

This disc is easily my favorite distance driver I've ever thrown.

Since I throw Trespasses, I asked for a comparison between the Trespass and DDX earlier in the thread and Reniger said this about the DDX:

A little more glide and stronger fade. However, the fade is very late in flight. It definitely holds true to the Fade: 3 rating, but will fly dead straight if hyzerflipped or show a mild turn if thrown flat and hard - then in the last 15% of it's flight, will fight hard to turn back to the left. (RHBH)

Do you agree with his assessment between the two? Which one do you think gives you better distance and more control?

They are both definitely turn and fade drivers. The DDx gives me better control since the rim is easier for me to grip (shallow tern rim) I feel like it's easier to control a hyzer flip drive with the DDx, but it's been a while since I've thrown trespasses so ymmv

After working with the DDX for the last week, surprisingly it has earned it's spot in my bag.

At first it's strong fade was bothering me as it was limiting my max distance, but now I've grown to really love the disc. I just don't use it as a "max" distance driver. Instead I use it for long holes that I need to go left at the end of its flight, and for big high hyzers as its high speed understability gets me more distance than my Destroyers on the high hyzer shots. But it's strong fade makes sure it still finishes left.

And now I'm on the hunt for another pink S-line DDX so I've got a back up for the one in my bag. But so far not having any luck finding one.

And now I'm on the hunt for another pink S-line DDX so I've got a back up for the one in my bag. But so far not having any luck finding one.

gottagogottathrow has them in stock, might call to see if they have any pink ones.

I have one I am not throwing, field tested only. 175g. Shoot me a pm if you are interested.

they must have sold out since I looked yesterday morning, I don't see them on there now either.

So I have now thrown the DDx side by side with my champ & star Terns. My first thought when getting the DDx was how much it feels like a Tern at the rim.

Throwing it confirms the same. The s-line DDx was way more stable than a star tern. However, only a little more stable than my most stable Champ Tern.

So my opinion, if you are looking to pair a DDx with a less stable Tern, by all means go ahead. However, if you already have a stable Champ Tern, you can skip the DDx.

As far as distance the DDx & champ Tern were dead even for me.

My buddy has a green s-line ddx and boy it is STABLE. It will get some turn, but not a huge flex. I have a decent arm also, 425~ of power and the green ones fly great.

I will admit I didn't read the last 8 pages....do we know if these will go in full production? Or are they just a limited release

heavy headwind testing yesterday night and boy these dont like it one bit. mild winds are okay and actually nice since my noodle arm gets more turn i.e. distance that way but heavy gusty wind i was putting them on a steep hyzer and still they were turning over and sailing to the right. and like I said, not much of a power thrower here. I dont think this time it was unclean release either, just way too much wind

heavy headwind testing yesterday night and boy these dont like it one bit. mild winds are okay and actually nice since my noodle arm gets more turn i.e. distance that way but heavy gusty wind i was putting them on a steep hyzer and still they were turning over and sailing to the right. and like I said, not much of a power thrower here. I dont think this time it was unclean release either, just way too much wind

Agreed. I can get my S-line DDX out to around 400' on average, and noticed that it doesn't play well with stronger winds. Light breeze is okay though.