• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] Discmania Prototype January 2016 (DDX)

Do people like the Domey, Flat, or medium top more on these? Are the Domey ones more OS and Flat ones less stable?

I throw Wraiths about 400 and was looking to get this mold for a little more distance and/or turn over.

All the ones I have have been very consistently the same shape. Not too much variation, which is great since now I have multiple backups right away without looking for one particular mutation.

All the ones I have have been very consistently the same shape. Not too much variation, which is great since now I have multiple backups right away without looking for one particular mutation.

That's what I thought they were coming out like, I haven't seen any talk about dome vs flat either. But when I got to see the last 4 ddx remaining at the shop yesterday, 2 of the them were particularly domey, 1 pretty flat, and other the other medium to flat. So I was a bit surprised and I didn't know what I should get.

How do you spot a 2nd run? I didnt even know that a 2nd run existed. Luckily I got 6 of these, should last me a good while. And no need to splurge on the 1st runs since the "first production run" is identical.

I just received a Swirly S-Line 175g DDX. Looks great, I wanted a compliment to my HL Terns....this is exactly like it but the PLH is a tinge lower and the top is a LOT beefier. Interested on how this will fly. I hope it has a long flight and doesn't get cut short with a hard hyzer at the end....also hope its not flippy as the Tern....we shall see.

I've been getting great lower power predictable flex lines out of the DDX (metal flake and s line) to that 350+ft range.

you have to trust the disc, and put a little height on it (maybe 15ft). but it works like a charm.

I couldn't really do that even with my beefy OS champ terns. the terns needed to be hyzer flipped (required a lot of arm speed) or s-curved (very unpredictable).

that being said I do miss the tern's super easy distance (where you get max distance lines even at 75% power).

the ddx has the same distance but needs a little more oomph or nose angle awareness because that PD2 top makes it very LSS dumpy.

The LSS is very weird indeed. Mine starts out fading like a Teebird, then about 30% into the fade the disc banks HARD left and just comes crashing down almost vertically. Its strange

it took over a month to realize that the ddx flight is like a 12 speed champ eagle (has turn but also big LSS fade).

hence the great flex lines you can get out of the ddx.

I also noticed how when other players compare it to a broken in destroyer I realized that a lot of them had those super beef 2010-2012 SDS destroyers which makes sense where it develops turn but still has big fade.

I am loving mine a lot. Clearly the longest, yet predictable max distance disc I have thrown. We will see if, like with most DM molds, the fade will beat out of it well before the disc starts to develop more turn.

Pickes up a lime green/yellow 168g s line ddx today. Probably got about 10 throws in with it. To me it flies like a tern then dumps like a pd2. Really interesting flight. I wonder if lss or hss goes first..

Does the dump hyzer at the end shorten the flight? Or does it elongate a long S line for max distance? I just got a Swirly S 175g but havent been able to throw yet. hopefully today

Does the dump hyzer at the end shorten the flight? Or does it elongate a long S line for max distance? I just got a Swirly S 175g but havent been able to throw yet. hopefully today

Seems to shorten it. But the one I was throwing is brand new, im sure it wont fade as hard after some abuse. Plus the one I picked up has a decent dome to it.

Got my S-Line DDx in the mail today. 167g, bright (chartreuse) yellow, really bright and easy to find. I took it to the course today and threw it whenever I threw my 167g Star Tern. There was some wind (which really helped against the brutal humidity we've been having the last couple of weeks). I made these observations:

- The DDx feels very much like a Tern in the hand.
- The DDx held into the wind a little better than the Tern.
- When I throw the Tern on a mild anny flex, it often turns on over. When I threw the DDx on a flex, it flew really beautifully... nice curve, faded back and dumped. Those DDx throws outdistanced the (regular) Tern throws.
- The DDx is not an overstable disc, though. A couple of my throws (not anny flexes) that I intended to have fade at the end... well, didn't really. They sailed on me (and somewhat to the right of my target (RHBH throw)) and while I loved the distance, I wasn't so enamored of where they finished.

All in all, the DDx is as advertised: a somewhat more stable Tern, better wind fighter, but definitely not overstable. Kind of 2/3s Tern and 1/3 Krait, IMHO.

Last edited:

Latest posts