• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] Discmania Prototype January 2016 (DDX)

I just got back from some initial testing with 2 S-Line DDx. (171 & 175g)

10-12 MPH cross winds (R -> L and then L -> R on the way back).

I don't believe I've ever been able to throw 425' in a R -> L 10mph wind. Discs either dig in too much and turn too hard, stability eats my distance or I get too much sail out and fade like crazy.

DDx seemed to slice through the wind extremely well, still turn as needed and then barely fade. My Tern absolutely ate it in the cross winds - as did an Echo Star Destroyer. DDx had a near perfect balance of stability, glide and speed.

L -> R exaggerated the DDx turn just a bit, where as my champ Tern was substantially turned off line.

I don't believe that the DDx would stand up to a 10+mph headwind and likewise, any substantial tail wind might make these guys stall and drop. Thrown 400+ in wind that would normally get me nervous, they behaved perhaps the best of any disc I've laid hands on.

Truly impressive disc.

I love throwing my DDX in tailwind, it flies super straight with a strong fade.

I'm throwing a 172 S-Line, and it really loves the wind. Was commenting the other day during a round how a little wind makes the disc come alive. Whereas something like a Lace or a Katana will become finicky in a cross wind and susceptible to turning off and never coming back, the DDX will flip up to flat (or past) to a nice, straight turn portion of the flight. My disc is still pretty new, so the fade is strong, but hoping to see the fade mellow out and maybe see a touch less HSS after some beat-in. The S line plastic is great. Excited to see how the disc seasons, it may turn into a go-to distance driver for me,

DDX has officially replaced the champ tern for me, They are my new go to distance driver, paired with a destroyer for wind and a star tern for max d anhyzers. I could probably live without the destroyer if I got a heavier DDX. The only shot I haven't figured out with the DDX yet is that long anhyzer. The tern can be thrown high with a lot of nose down, and it will stay nose down as it flips over, then it stays right as it slows down and just hits the ground flat. The DDX just won't hold the nose down as well and it fights back sooner. Maybe after a few months of abuse I will start to see that change. Either way, though, DDX is my favorite new mold in a while.

My buddies green s-line ddx is actually pretty overstable. Get a hair of turn, and has a nice hook at the end. I like to think I have a decent arm too.

Had to post an update. I've been throwing my first S-line DDX for a little over a month now, and am happy to report it's starting to season a little. The best part is, it isn't getting touchy either. I'm finally reaching the same distances with it that I was reaching with my broken in Destroyers. It had developed a tiny bit more high speed turn, but more importantly it's slowly losing it's fade. It still has a dependable finish, but it starts later in it's flight. I'm getting very close to taking out my beat in Star Destroyer's and just relying on the DDX.

Oh and I also got my first DDX ace on 4th of July. It wasn't actually a very long hole (305ft), but it's a big uphill hyzer shot over tall trees so I usually throw the DDX to help get me up and over them, then fade strongly towards the pin. Yet another reason I'm really loving this mold!

Just spoke with the shop today and they're shipping my tournament order. I'll have a full weight range of s lines in a few days and an extra tasty surprise.

Broke 500ft with a S-DDx. Had been trying for a while because the park next to work has this one great spot where to pass one road means 500ft. Substantial downhill assist tho, but I had to hit a good line to get that. Flat land I get to around 350ft or so pretty consistently. Great dependable max distance disc for a medium arm guy, stability is in exactly the right spot. Hyzer shots are way longer vs. my other drivers too. Waiting for the fade to mellow out and it should crush.

DDX has officially replaced the champ tern for me, They are my new go to distance driver, paired with a destroyer for wind and a star tern for max d anhyzers. I could probably live without the destroyer if I got a heavier DDX.
Exact same for me. I will probably get a heavier DDx eventually and have a shootout with my Destroyers.

even 175g MFs dont like the wind

I agree to an extent. My DDX's are okay into soft headwinds, I just dial in a little more hyzer and they fly great. But 10mph+ headwinds are not friendly to the DDX. If you can throw them 400ft+, you will always need a more stable distance driver to pair with the DDX for solid headwinds. The couple MF DDX's I have seem to fly identical to my production S-lines.

Currently I'm bagging a couple Star Destroyer's along with my DDX's, but I'm thinking about trying out some G-line PD2's.

I threw a 168 into a headwind last weekend that resulted in one of my longest drives ever for that hole. Probably under 10 mph though. I got great turn after a bit of straight flight, then the return was not dumpy. My champ Terns never return that well once they commit right.

is the DDX in full production? Can't seem to find them anywhere. Is this a more stable Tern? Or whats the skinny? What would you guys give the flight #'s?

is the DDX in full production? Can't seem to find them anywhere. Is this a more stable Tern? Or whats the skinny? What would you guys give the flight #'s?

Yes, but they sell out fast.

Yes, as far as plastic to plastic is concerned. My 168 is a good bit more stable than my Star at the same weight, and slightly more than my Champs.

I am guessing weight will affect assigned numbers. I would give mine 12 5.5 -1 2. I do not have a ton of throws with it though, and I only throw it into a wind, or in still conditions needing a left finish.

A very quick comparison to the Tern would be the DDX flies like a Champ tern with a bit more fade, which seems to make it a bit more predictable IMO.

Sooo I got a bunch of custom stamped C DDXs in today for my fundraiser on the 6th of August.

Looks like they molded up just like the s lines, plh might be a hair higher. Plastic is fairly stiff on them too.

Sooo I got a bunch of custom stamped C DDXs in today for my fundraiser on the 6th of August.

Looks like they molded up just like the s lines, plh might be a hair higher. Plastic is fairly stiff on them too.

Those sound tasty. Are you going to post them in the marketplace?

Latest posts