• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discovered A New Technique!

sidewinding

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
I've alway had trouble making anything in the 40-100 foot range so I usually just try to put enough loft to give the disc a chance while at the same time lay up as not to blow by too far.

The other day I was waiting for someone to throw and I was throwing my disc up in the air off my index finger. You know how you just let the disc hang on your finger and with a flick of the wrist you can easily sling your disc straight up in the air twenty or thirty feet? Then I thought "what if you used that same flick on a long putt?". So I tried it and it worked magnificantly. In the last week or two I have made half a dozen putts outside 50 feet using this technique.

I showed my daughter and about six holes into the round she hit about a 75 footer and started jumping up and down screaming "It worked, it worked. I did what you showed me and it worked."

The key is you have to use about a 45 degree hyzer or even more angle so that the disc gets good sling leverage off your first finger.

So next time you have a putt that you feel is outside your comfort zone, just throw a disc up in the air a few times like I know everyone has done while they're standing around bored. Once you get the feel for how it's coming off your finger just use that same feel to sling the disc toward the basket. The beauty of this technique is that if you miss, the disc is already falling at a steep hyzer angle that it will dig into the ground close to the basket.

Cons: May be hard to pull off on a windy day due to hyzer requirement.

Not recommended for hillside pin placements due to roll away potential.

So, hyzer putting?

I'd like to see a video too. I can always use some different ideas, my putting style tends to change every week.

So, hyzer putting?

I don't think so. This is really about how easy it is to put massive amounts of spin on a disc with only one finger. You could probably learn to putt using this technique but when a windy day comes you'd be screwed.

It's like a throwing stick for a spear, yo.

315139001_4918ebb5ca_b.jpg

Sounds interesting, I'll definitely give it a try next time I'm out. But like others said, a video would be very helpful to make sure I'm getting it right.

Thanks for sharing!

It's like a throwing stick for a spear, yo.

That's called an atlatl. moreyouknow.gif

So, I take it that you're not using a fan grip or what? Which finger is acting as the fulcrum here, index?

BroDave<:-------> not sure if he gets it. :confused:

I have one of those. It's been around since I was a kid and I have no idea where it came from.

What is it on the sleepy scale? Overstable, understable? :confused:

I'd love to have one actually for this sole, stupid reason. Look awesome when you kill a deer with it. "Nice buck, what did you bag it with? 30.06 huh? Nice. Me? Oh I used a prehistoric atlatl." :cool:

Are you talking about something like a pizza flip? I've used an approach like that before, it is good for avoiding 3 putts and I've made a few too. It does give you another dimension to control in getting it to come down to basket height at the right time. Also, if it is truly a hyzer landing, the putter is more likely to roll on a hilly green.

I think we should call it the sidewindingturbopizza putt.

I am picturing a mix of the turbo and someone tossing pizza dough.

So if I'm understanding correctly, it likes a one finger, forehand flick shot? Think I've heard people who do forehand putting pretty successfully. I say use whatever works for you. But I'd add there's probably no 'super secret' technique that will make you start making all your putts. You still gotta practice whatever the technique and yes, u're still gonna suck some days at putting like everybody :)

I think I'm imagining a 1-finger grip and a serious BH wrist flick. Not sure how that would end up coming in on a hyzer though.

Glad to hear you've made a discovery. What you've found is just one example of many possibilities. I just posted on this topic in craig's corner a day or two ago. You've got the right idea - find a way to have the disc be chain high and on the way down as it gets to the basket. BH/FH/UD L-R R-L doesn't matter. Chain high and on the way down - if you figure out the height - eventually it'll go in.

It's definitely backhand. It's not a pizza throw because that would be using the bottom of the flight plate to keep the disc level. This is using the inside of the rim with the first digit of your index finger to propel the disc.

Just take a disc and hold it down to your side with the top of the disc facing your leg. Now throw the disc straight up in the air and have it come straight back down so you can catch it. Do that a few times and focus on what it feels like coming out of your hand. You have to flick your wrist a little as gravity is pulling down on the disc it will rotate around your finger and shoot up in the air with spin.

Oh so it's the exact same thing as throwing it up in the air, but at the basket? So the disc is actually vertical in the air en route to the chains? Interesting.