• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discovered A New Technique!

You have to flick your wrist a little ...the disc ... will rotate around your finger and shoot (out) with spin.

Well that's like what should happen in every throw, so if you've discovered a way that makes you feel it, :thmbup: now try to build that into your throw :) I may try it out :)

I'm thinking like this;

The most iconic method of throwing a chakram is tajani, wherein the weapon is twirled on the index finger of an upraised hand and thrown with a timed flick of the wrist. The spin is meant to add power and range to the throw, while also avoiding the risk of cutting oneself on the sharp outer edge. An adept user can twirl the chakram while using another weapon with the other hand. The use of tajani in battle was perfected by the Nihang who employed a particular formation to protect the chakram-wielder from harm. Although variants of the chakram would make their way to neighbouring parts of the region, the tajani technique remained unique to Indian martial arts.

Oh so it's the exact same thing as throwing it up in the air, but at the basket? So the disc is actually vertical in the air en route to the chains? Interesting.

Somewhere between verticle and a 45 degree angle. The closer to verticle it is the easier it is to propel the disc but the closer it is to a 45 degree angle the more glide you get so you have to find your sweet spot.

Well that's like what should happen in every throw

Except in this throw gravity plays a much larger role. The closer you have the disc to verticle the more gravity will be effecting how much spin will be applied to the disc. The closer you get to level the less gravity will be helping out.

so if you've discovered a way that makes you feel it, :thmbup: now try to build that into your throw :) I may try it out :)

It's much more than that. You'll have to try it to see what I mean. Gravity is pulling one side of the disc down as your arm is travelling up and toward the basket. These two opposing forces put massive amounts of spin on the disc. In a level throw you would have to put much more force on the disc to get the same amount of spin and anytime you start adding force you lose accuracy.

This may very well be the reason hyzer flips are so good for distance. It has nothing to do with the angles but more to do with the fact you're using gravity to help add spin.

A question about this technique. If you miss since it is much more vertical than a normal putt are you getting significantly larger roll aways? It seems like the disc would be landing more on edge.

Thanks.

A question about this technique. If you miss since it is much more vertical than a normal putt are you getting significantly larger roll aways? It seems like the disc would be landing more on edge.

Thanks.

Not at all unless the pin placement is on the side of a hill in which case you will roll almost 100% of the time. The disc will be dropping in like a spike hyzer so it digs in. I'm using challengers which have the stability to give a good spike. a less stable putter might glide more instead of spike which would give you longer comebacks.

Sidewinding, I think I get it and have seen it...maybe I can help.

Its horseshoe form but instead of horizontal, hyzer to vertical.kinda like if you were to try and throw it into a basket on the floor, but with adjusted height.

The difference between this and most putts, fingers wise, is havind come off the wall instead of the bead.I use the tossing you described to help explain rip vs throw for normal driving.

My mom putts like that and I've found sucess with it on super guarded baskets.

Not at all unless the pin placement is on the side of a hill in which case you will roll almost 100% of the time. The disc will be dropping in like a spike hyzer so it digs in. I'm using challengers which have the stability to give a good spike. a less stable putter might glide more instead of spike which would give you longer comebacks.

using this style with an X-link soft Ridge could almost eliminate the roll away problem. Those things are so floppy... or a Blowfly.

Post a video please! Even after reading, I am lost. I feel like the saying "a picture is worth a thousand words" more than fits this situation. Thanks in advance!

So it's an underhanded spike hyzer? I THINK I see what you're saying here; I'll have to try it out on Tuesday when I play.