• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discraft Nuke

Cgkdisc

.:Hall of Fame Member:.
New wide winged driver by Discraft approved 10-31. Could be a Halloween treat!

http://www.pdga.com/tech-standards

I will be highly disappointed if we don't see pictures of a Duke Nukem dye in the Disc Artwork forum within 4 months of its release.

Code:
Maker           Mx wt  Diam   ht   rim    rim    rim   rm dpth     rm config    flexibility 
Discraft Nuke   176.0   21.2   1.5  1.2   16.2   2.5   5.7          28.25        9.87
Innova Boss     176.0   21.2   1.5  1.2   16.2   2.5   5.7          26.00        7.60
Innova Katana   176.0   21.2   1.8  1.2   16.3   2.5   5.7          26.25        10.32

So...it's a Boss.

Chuck...if you're out there...

Could you explain what the rim configuration is exactly?

I'm betting that its going to be a touch more HSS than a Boss.

Chuck Kennedy said:
New wide winged driver by Discraft approved 10-31. Could be a Halloween treat!

http://www.pdga.com/tech-standards
if i get one ill throw that on the damn thing just cause i love duke nukem :mrgreen:

Rim Configuration is essentially the sharpness of the rim. The sharper the rim, the smaller the number. Here's how it's measured:

"The rim of the disc is held perpendicular to a contour gauge having 13 probes per cm (such as the Valued ST142). The rim of the disc is then pressed gradually into the gauge to a depth of 5 mm. The resulting movement of each affected probe is measured to the nearest 0.25 mm, and then totaled to produce the rim configuration rating. The ratings of three samples are determined, and the median score is used as the final rating."

So, the low height drivers don't engage as many probes in the gauge as say a Roc or Zephyr.

There's a minimum rim config but no maximum, so I assume that requirement is there to prevent discs from having rims so sharp that they could be highly dangerous both to the hand that throws them and anyone that might get hit by one?

JimW said:
Code:
Maker           Mx wt  Diam   ht   rim    rim    rim   rm dpth     rm config    flexibility 
Discraft Nuke   176.0   21.2   1.5  1.2   16.2   2.5   5.7          28.25        9.87
Innova Boss     176.0   21.2   1.5  1.2   16.2   2.5   5.7          26.00        7.60
Innova Katana   176.0   21.2   1.8  1.2   16.3   2.5   5.7          26.25        10.32

So...it's a Boss.

If I am reading this right it has a slightly blunter nose than a Boss and is more flexible. I would assume this would make it slightly slower and have more stability. A faster Xcal?

Jester_da1 said:
A faster Xcal?

A faster Force...though from Discraft Mike's description its not supposed to be particularly overstable as he compared it to a Flash and Surge I think.

faster surge or flash would make it flippier than a boss?

No one knows exactly how sharp is too sharp. It's not like it was measured in some sort of safety test whatever that would be. I believe the Eclipse approved in 1989 may have been the benchmark for setting the minimum because its value is 26 which is still the allowable minimum.

probably about the same. I always thought the boss was pretty much the flippiest of the highspeed drivers, but is also the fastest, so it is speed stable for most. The boss reminds me of a fast Orc while the force reminds me of a fast starfire.

lol @ rim configuration as a concept.

JKP said:
faster surge or flash would make it flippier than a boss?

Its hard to say because Flashes are all over the place stability-wise. Surges don't really have a high speed turn when new unless you really push them past their cruising speed. Boss seems to flip inside of its cruising speed. In other words, the Boss is only flying its fastest while flipping, where the Surge only flips when thrown faster than it is meant to fly.

Chuck Kennedy said:
No one knows exactly how sharp is too sharp. It's not like it was measured in some sort of safety test whatever that would be. I believe the Eclipse approved in 1989 may have been the benchmark for setting the minimum because its value is 26 which is still the allowable minimum.

I figured the safety-ness according to edge sharpness was kinda like that. But still, if the disc begins to actually look dangerous to the casual observer, then it could be a problem (imagine trying to get your discs through airline security if they were really sharp), and so its good to have some sort of standard in place, if only just to say that there are standards.

Of course, the sharper the edge, the harder the plastic needs to be in order to not get overly deformed at the edges.

JimW said:
Code:

Could the height of the disc be due to what Zam mentioned in the original Nuke thread (that it's got a overmolded top)? I was looking though the list of approved discs, and there hasn't been a lot of 1.8 cm height drivers since the XS days.

discraft_nuke.jpg

Furthur said:
JimW said:
Code:

Could the height of the disc be due to what Zam mentioned in the original Nuke thread (that it's got a overmolded top)? I was looking though the list of approved discs, and there hasn't been a lot of 1.8 cm height drivers since the XS days.

Are you referring to the Nuke or the Katana?

Latest posts