• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Discraft Surge Question

97hokie

Just got a Surge and have not had a chance to throw it. Probably won't for about 2 weeks, it came in a package deal that was delivered to a buddy's house. Anybody that throws one tell me what you like about it or don't like. Curious as what to expect.

Ever throw a Wraith? It's like that. No Wraith? What about a Destroyer? Like a shorter version of that.
No Destroyer? What about an Orc? Like a longer version of that.

I like them because, even with my noodle arm, I can get them to flip slightly and still go LONG for me without turning them over. I can put more hyzer on them and have them hold a solid left-turning line.

EDIT: And what Triflusal said.

what plastic you get? i love the esp! like bcr said i can get max distance with these even with my noodle arm.. once they get lil worn are really good for bombing any's.. not throwing them atm since im discn down but when im done with that the surge will be right back in the bag. Also got a few Pro-D Surge from tim the other day and they felt great.. super flat..but havent had a chance to throw them yet :(

I'm a big surge fan, although I haven't thrown them in a while lately. I've thrown Z plastic, the SS, and ESP. I do like the surge ESP, great grip. I like new surges, but once they break in, they tend to start flipping for me. However, they make great anhyzer discs once broken in. I like the rim width, similiar to a wraith, might be a little smaller, almost like an orc. About as fast as a wraith. Like throwing them for low ceiling, straight shots, or even controlled hyzer shots, (still working on anhyzers). An easy disc to rip out of your hand and let it fly. The SS are good for nice high S turns.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Triflusal- Still new to the site. Guess the search feature would have been best. Thanks for the great info.

BCR- I have and love my DX Wraith. I have it in Champion and Star as well. Both of those are still very new and don't behave quite right for me yet. I do love throwing the Champion FH. Great Anny's!!

Ian- It's in Z. It's 166 which is a bit lighter than I would like but that is the risk of the discraft misprint order. I'm interested to see how it fits my bag being a very light Wraith. It may or may not stay. We will see. I plan on discing down here soon myself so it wont get too much work when I get it. I did get a great Buzz and Hornet though.

Love em
I throw 2x ND ESP Surges in the 170-174g range. I use them every round. Mine have been a consistant, controllable driver for max d.

BH up to 350'
FH up to 320'

Great for distance. Great disc. Throw it and don't look back.

Ian- It's in Z. It's 166 which is a bit lighter than I would like but that is the risk of the discraft misprint order. I'm interested to see how it fits my bag being a very light Wraith. It may or may not stay. We will see. I plan on discing down here soon myself so it wont get too much work when I get it. I did get a great Buzz and Hornet though.

i havent thrown the elite-z but assume it will be a tad more stable than the esp's but yeah i think you will like it. I usually carry a freshie and a worn one and can cover pretty much any shot i would need.. they just seem to glide forever :thmbup:

Awesome disc, I carry two, one Esp and one Z. I've had the Esp forever, this one is my go-to distance driver. Perfect for controllable distance, Thrown with a slight hyzer and it will flip up flat and just go! My Z is still really new and I keep it more for backup purposes. As with most Z/Champion molds, when compared to Esp/Star molds, its a tad more stable. I've been using this one more when I have a mild headwind. Fantastic driver though, very controllable, very predictable.

I used to throw the hell out of the ESP Nate Doss Sig. Series until I lost all of them. However, I throw Z Surges now and I got my first +300' ace with one earlier this summer. By far my favorite and longest driver!

Are the nate surges no longer available?

am i missing something or are you the crazy one? lol i have a stockpile of the NDs anyway so it doesnt really effect me but still..

to the OP, surges have been in my bag for a good 4 or more years. like bcr said they are ALOT like wraiths and/or destroyers - orcs too i suppose (but way less than the other 2 IMHO). i used to throw destroyers but apparently my first two that werent pro (only had 1 pro) just so happened to be more on the understable side [at that time i was oblivious to PLH affecting stability, as well as domey/flat etc]. i had quickly found out it was too much disc for me, disced down for a while, and eventually got myself back up to fasters drivers. i no longer own a single wraith OR destroyer (and never actually owned an orc) and i dont regret that for a second:thmbup: but i digress...

so after my somewhat pointless story, surges are wonderful discs in both Z and ESP. ive never thrown a pro-d, but im sure you can assume how it would be different from premium plastic. the Zs are DEFINITELY more stable than the ESPs, so its also awesome having one of each in the bag. im a little tired so my rant could quite possibly suck, but i hope that helps somewhat lol;)

I've got a Z SS surge that was part of a player pack in a tourney about a month ago, love it. Kinda reminds me of a longer less flippy valkyrie.

Used to throw Surges till I lost my money Nate Doss Surge. Man I loved that thing. Anyways Wraith and Surge comparsion gets thrown out there a lot, and I agree but the Surge is like a Wraith SS. A hair slower and a hair less stable.

I have a surge FLX that is working out great for me. It doesn't forehand so well, due in part to the floppiness of it and too much snap, but it does a mean forehand roller. I used to have a Z Surge SS, and it was one of my favorites. I used to throw a Z Crush, but I lost it and haven't seen many around anymore. It was similar to the Surge, but I couldn't throw anything but hyzers and straight shots then.

Gripememy, sorry, I just started throwing surges. I haven't bought any discs in a while- I'm just throwing stock I already had from 08 or so. Ill take it as they're oop.

^^^ as far as i know they arent OOP brotha, the pre-nate doss esp's are getting harded to find but the Nate Doss ones are everywhere.. and i have heard zero about them stopping.. if anything maybe that would stop that stamp but i dont think the esp surge is going anywhere.. i hope not

Latest posts