• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Help] Discs that FLOAT in water! ;)

ThomasOrion

* Ace Member *
I head to a lake every year that is pretty private. We float around and canoe n such.
I was looking for discs that TRULY float in water. I wanted to bomb a few out there in the lake then go find em

I know there are lightweight discs, but not sure if they float.

I think Innova's Wahoo / Hydra float are there any others? Which are the best?

Millennium Aquarius
Innova Dragon
Innova Wahoo
Innova Hydra
Aquaflight Dragon Fly
Aquaflight Peace Frog
Aquaflight Swift
DGA Bowfly
Lightning Putter 2
Most Lightning drivers in 150 class are decent
Quest DD

correct me if I'm wrong...

innova has the blizzard plastic (champion with bubbles in it) that will float at the lowest weights... The blizzard boss around 135g floats I think...

also, pretty simple to test a disc... in the tub or sink

the wahoo and dragon do float... I think they are in r-pro plastic

I reserve the right to be wrong about any of this :)

Anything blizzard under 140g. I have a Mcbeth star destroyer 136g that is way overstable considering its weight. I suggest those for the best bombers. All my champion floaters became super flippy after about a month of use. The star destroyer is still pretty os after 3 months.

DGU sells a Blizzard DX Condor that I know from experience floats. Great disc to mess around with while on a kayak.

Aside from that, the most common floaters are Blowflies and Innova Hydras. The blizzard plastics can be hit or miss depending on weight. I've seen some marked 130ish weight discs drop to the bottom just as fast as 175s

I have a 139g Blizzard Katana that used to float pretty good. Now it kinda floats...I guess that tree hits and landings have taken a toll on the air bubbles that keep it afloat. Also, water temperature and/or purity and/or some other factor seems to make a difference--both the blizzard disc and the Blowfly II sink some places and float in others. The original Blowfly, the Dragon, and the Rubber Putters have floated everywhere so far.

yeah, testing in a tub is not enough, if you place almost ANY disc in a tub it can float. I need to know that i can bomb it and have it spike the water in the lake out there and still STAY afloat and not just settled on top of calm bathwater, so....

But yeah, sounds like the Innova Wahoo is the way to go if it FOR SURE floats

I've tried them all and most suck. Blizzard plastic at 139 and below molds up so inconsistently it's impossible to find any mold tht works reliably. In addition throwing discs as low as 139 can mess with your release point. I have finally found a winner for me. And the winner is...

The Aquarius!

Is it the best disc I've ever thrown? Nope
Is it the best water disc I've ever thrown? Yup - no doubt about it

yeah, testing in a tub is not enough, if you place almost ANY disc in a tub it can float. I need to know that i can bomb it and have it spike the water in the lake out there and still STAY afloat and not just settled on top of calm bathwater, so....

But yeah, sounds like the Innova Wahoo is the way to go if it FOR SURE floats

I bombed a wahoo in a lake and it sunk, luckily in front of a dude in waders fishing out disc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ish, well....idk now. The Aquarius and the Aquaflight discs seem promising, but i cannot find them anywhere to order.
Maybe I'll try the Aquarious. Does it matter on the weight? because i really want a reliable disc to throw and not just a overly-fflippy piece....

I know Vibram was working on making floating discs. I haven't heard much about it lately, so maybe they gave up?

I had a champion blizzard Tee Devil hit the water and floated and then when I was "fishing" for it, it turned on edge with only about a 1/4 inch sliver sticking above the water. I lost sight of it as it floated away. It didn't help that it was blue. So I suggested getting easy to see colors as well - maybe yellow.

I've tried them all and most suck. Blizzard plastic at 139 and below molds up so inconsistently it's impossible to find any mold tht works reliably. In addition throwing discs as low as 139 can mess with your release point. I have finally found a winner for me. And the winner is...

The Aquarius!

Is it the best disc I've ever thrown? Nope
Is it the best water disc I've ever thrown? Yup - no doubt about it

I second this. By far the most "normal" feeling floating disc I have thrown.