• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Discspeed's Bag

I've been thinking about fairway drivers a lot lately and between pushing my mids out and having a lot of broken in OLF's I feel like I could drop them too. When I carry one, I just carry a worn SJLS, which I'd imagine is fairly comparable to your FD based on what I've read about them.

My OCD hands wouldn't be able to deal with transitioning b/w the rims of the Squirrel and the Axis/Vector.

Everything looks pretty tidy though. I understand the TD powers down nicely too right? How much do you envision it overlapping with the FD as the latter wears in?

My OCD hands wouldn't be able to deal with transitioning b/w the rims of the Squirrel and the Axis/Vector.

Everything looks pretty tidy though. I understand the TD powers down nicely too right? How much do you envision it overlapping with the FD as the latter wears in?

The Squirrel felt a little strange at first, but it was easy to get used to. Mine perfectly rounds out my mids in terms of stability.

The TD is one of the most awkward discs in my bag currently, but it fills a gap. I could see myself dropping it if I get a PD or FD nicely flippy. The TD is more speed sensitive than the PD, so powering down is a little more hit or miss than with the PD. I really want to see Discmania make a PD top/FL bottom disc...I think I would like that better than the TD for my PD-L.

I've been playing a lot this week and I was feeling like my bag was getting a little complicated...The Flying Squirrel is a fun disc, but over the course of the past few rounds I've realized that it really does overlap with my beat Axis, so I've taken it out of the competition bag. I also felt like my FD/TD were kind of overlapping, so I dropped the TD and added a couple of PPDs back to my bag.

2x 171/172 Anodes--Putting
1x174 Anode--Straight drives
1x175 Ion--Overstable drives
1x171 Soft Ion--flex drives
1x167 FR Ion--finesse long putts/approaches

1x179 FR Axis--slightly understable/straight mid
1x180 FR Axis--much more hss than my other Axis for wind or longer throws
1x178 FR Vector--seasoned step up in stability from Axis
1x179 Eclipse Vector--new and overstable

1x175 S-FD--stable fairway driver
1x174 11x Champ FB--overstable utility

2x173 PPD--thrashed and new for understable and straight
1x175 S-PD--seasoned, likes to flip and fade like an EX
1x175 yellow champstar PDs--seasoned, flies more like faster TB
1x175 CPD+--moderately overstable with good glide, main hyzer disc
1x175 CFR CPDs--overstable for strong hyzers and wind, very little glide

1x175 Tourney Sword--understable max D
2x175 VIP Sword--new and seasoned workhorse drivers
1x174 FR Quasar--overstable for wind and hyzers

So, no TDs anymore. :(

I threw my main one more the last round I played, and realized how much I like the way it flies. I really like using it as a main driver with an OS complement, but I can see how with all the PDs they would be pretty redundant.

Yeah, the TD might not be in my bag, but I've yet to play a round without it. It's on the bottom shelf of my cart. There are certain shots I like it better for and it also kind of fills a gap between my PDs and Swords in terms of distance potential.

Since my last bag post I've really been trying to sort out what I need and what works best on my home courses between my PPDs, TDs, and FDs and which combo overlaps the least. I've had some good windy days to help me out in my decision since wind performance is a factor. I've come to the conclusion that I'm keeping my STD and SFD and ditching my PPDs (except my totally thrashed one as a utility disc).

The TD and FD have similar lines, but the TD is best when I get some power and distance on it as it is a bit longer than my PDs on similar lines. The FD is then best when powered down at distances at the lower end and under the range of my PDs.

2x 171/172 Anodes--Putting
1x174 Anode--Straight drives
1x175 Ion--Overstable drives
1x167 FR Ion--finesse long putts/approaches

1x179 FR Axis--slightly understable/straight mid
1x180 FR Axis--much more hss than my other Axis for wind or longer throws
1x178 FR Vector--seasoned step up in stability from Axis
1x179 Eclipse Vector--new and overstable

1x175 S-FD--stable fairway driver
1x174 11x Champ FB--overstable utility

1x175 S-PD--seasoned, likes to flip and fade like an EX
1x175 yellow champstar PDs--seasoned, flies more like faster TB
1x175 CPD+--moderately overstable with good glide, main hyzer disc
1x175 CFR CPDs--overstable for strong hyzers and wind, very little glide

1x175 S-TD--seasoned turning/hyzer-flip driver between PDs and Sword

2x175 VIP Sword--new and seasoned workhorse drivers
1x174 FR Quasar--overstable for wind and hyzers

This is what I carry in normal conditions on my 3 regular courses. I also have some other discs in my car for when I play elsewhere:

thrashed PPD
Tourney Sword
Fresh Quasars
Z Nuke
Z NukeOS
soft Ions
ESP Zone

I also just want to say that I'm not OCD into max weight or anything, I don't really care. It just so happens that out of the discs I have acquired and tested lately the ones I liked just happened to mostly be max weight. Most of the 175s are actually between 174-175.

Your post on your own bag feedback are some of the most useful post I have read on proper bag development. It's very helpful to see how an experienced player builds a bag.
Just wanted to say thanks and I enjoy reading it!

Do you know when the FDs are going to be released again?
From what I understand, they look like a perfect complement to an overstable Fairway (i.e. Banshee or in your case a Firebird) with similar speed and distance to not overlap really with PDs, which is exactly what I'm looking for. Right now, I'm using Stalkers in that spot and am not really satisfied with it.

Dismania said the production SFD release will be in March on their Facebook page.

I've been playing and practicing a lot lately. I've been throwing the Anode a ton and I think I'm really ready to make it my only putter mold. I will never get rid of the Ions I have, but the fact is the Anode is plenty stable/overstable for my game. At the point where I feel I need the extra stability of the Ion, the Vector is usually the better choice anyway. I feel a little guilty playing without Ions, but the Anode is just perfect for me.

Have you done a review of the sword anywhere? I'm highly considering picking one up and I was wondering what I am in for.

Here's a link to my review on CDGS's FB page:

Here it is in case you aren't on FB:

Discspeed's Review: Westside Discs Sword Distance Driver
by Clearwater Disc Golf Store on Friday, August 5, 2011 at 4:07pm ·

The Sword is a new distance driver from Westside Discs, a Finnish company that contracts Latitude64 to mold their discs. It is available in both VIP (which is Lat64's Opto) and Tournament (Lat64's Goldline) line of plastics. Westside gives it the ratings 14, 5, 0, 2 for speed, glide, HSS, and LSS respectively.

FEEL

In the hand the Sword has solid and familiar feel. Shapewise it is reminiscent of a Wraith, Force, Destroyer, or Flow. The nose is somewhat sharp, and the shoulder curves gradually upward creating a noticeable dome on all of the discs. The bottom wing has a slight concave curvature. Overall it is a great feel, much sleeker than the speed 13-14 discs, which is great for those of us with less than giant hands. The VIP is really grippy for a champion style plastic, and the Tournament plastic is even grippier.

FLIGHT

Speed: Westside rates this disc speed 12, which in Innova terms would compare to discs like the Destroyer and Xcaliber. I can verify that this disc is indeed in the same class as those two discs.

Glide: Glide is difficult to judge in fast discs...I basically do so by looking at how far a disc flies for it's speed and how height and nose angle sensitive it is. In my opinion after using the Sword for a few weeks it has as much glide as anything in it's speed class or faster.

HSS: The Sword's HSS is a little murky because out of the 4 different ones I tried they varied from -.5 to -2 on a 430' shot. The most stable one I tried was a VIP, and the least stable was a Tourney, but this pattern did not necessarily hold for all of the discs. Also of note...The disc has a lot of resistance to turning when thrown slight hyzer or even flat, but if turned even slightly out of the hand with any power it does not fight or come back.

LSS: When thrown over 400' the Sword has a very modest fade for a disc it's speed, especially on flat shots. It is also a very late fade, so the Sword is not the most forgiving disc when it comes to offline throws, but it's also capable of 400'+ frozen ropes.

POSSIBLE USES

The Sword is very versatile and long, so I can see it becoming a go-to distance disc for throwers in the 400'+ range. For those who carry a lot of molds, the Sword is a great straight shot distance driver...It can fly on a low and straight line with the least fade of any speed 11+ driver I've tested. For throwers under 360' it could be a nice overstable distance driver because it does not take a lot of speed to fly flat and will fade reliably and strong when underpowered.

SIMILAR DISCS

Having thrown Lat64's Flow as my main distance driver for the past year it is the most obvious and best comparison to the Sword...In fact, I'd bet that the two discs share some mold pieces...For those not too familiar with Lat64's discs I would compare the Sword to a Destroyer or faster Wraith on the Innova side of things, and a slower Nuke or faster Flash on the Discraft side.

EDIT: I've had the Sword in my bag for a couple of months now. I just wanted to say that this disc actually breaks in fairly quickly into a high speed turning distance driver. It starts out stable, but that doesn't seem like the character of the disc as both my VIP and Tourney plastic Swords now get considerable high speed turn on throws of over 400'.

Interesting...thakns a lot. That is actually exactly what I am looking form.

For whatever reason releasing disc on with some hyzer feels so much better to me, so overstable disc tend to be a problem. I have been cranking out rivers tl's and pd's and was looking to disc up a little bit so this should be perfect. I have a 171, and 173 colorshift on the way. If it lives up to your review i'll be ecstatic.

I'm probably not going to do a full bag post until I'm set for my upcoming tournament, but I've been messing with a couple of things that are probably going to make the bag at least for a trial basis.

175 Champ Mamba...I can't imagine getting a Sword beat to fly like this, and I have a feeling it's going to come in handy at times.

156 Blizzard Boss...Seems really nice for a wide open max D disc, or a more effortless hyzer distance disc.

I'm also having some tryouts for my mid lineup...I went to the field today with about 8 Axis and 6 Vectors. The Vectors were really shining...I think my mid lineup is about to become Vector-heavy. My beat FR, Eclipse, and newish FR Vector all fly differently enough to carry each. I'm then carrying my beat FR Axis. To round out the lineup I want to add one of my more stable Axis, but I'm having trouble deciding on which of my other Axis to use.

What are you throwing lately? Always liked this thread as a way to build a complete bag.

Right now I've got...

3x 174 Eclipse Soft Anodes--Putting/approaching/driving
1x 172 Eclipse Anode--Drives (less LSS than softs)

1x178 Eclipse Axis--Straight mid that turns easily for finesse shots
1x178 FR Vector--Beat, one step up in stability from my Axis and more consistent
2x176 Eclipse Vectors--One broken in, one new

3x174 SPD--various stages of wear for most shots
1x175 CPD--overstable driver

1x175 Champ Mamba--hyzer flip/turnover d driver
2x175 VIP Swords--seasoned and new for most d drives
1x156 Blizzard Champ Boss--open distance toy

I've got a couple of gaps currently that I'm hoping to shore up soon, and I'm strongly anticipating the release of the Volt...

Latest posts