• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disk cuts hard left

Thank you everyone. I did get some more discs that are "slower" but they work good and I have a lot of control over the discs except for the few that I release late or too early. I have read all the responses and took everyone's advice and it has improved my game yesterday when I went out. I try and get out 2 or 3 times a week with weather/work permitting.

Ive only been throwing for a few months but i was able to learn more complex discs by adjusting the weights. Im not a big guy so that paired with a respectable lack of knowledge about the intended flight paths of complex discs led me to throw much lower weights, as suggested.

I had a really hard time finding low weight discs, but now thats all i look for. I had been throwing 169-175g drivers because thats what i was finding. Until one day i stumbled on a 134g Blizzard Champion Katana. At first i thought no way right? Its way too light itll just flip! Nope. I went from maxing out at 200ft to parking drop-ins from 300ft in about a month of consistent practice. Also, as mentioned before the slower speeds are less "sharp" with less cutting power through the air. Ive found, for myself at least, those discs are less prone to flipping up in headwinds and slightly more forgiving if you are releasing nose up. Ive got a 138g Star-Lite Valkyrie that flies very very consistently.

Now, im not suggesting you go find super light discs and thats gonna work. But please remember the weights are veeeeerrry important to match YOUR throw NOW.

I can flex a 155g x-nuke a good 200ft, but if i throw a 177+ z-nuke... it dumps... immediately. The heavier weight in addition to the characteristics of the z plastic make a disc that is far to overstable for my level and waaay too much load for my arm.

Anyway, hope that helps a little! Good luck!

I find more of these silly distance drivers then anything else, I think if I went my entire life just playing with speed 9 and under I'd be good. The distance drivers are awesome for FH throws tho.

You are throwing discs that are to fast and stable for you. I used to do the same exact thing. Slow everything down and practice with mid ranges and putters. I learned to drive BH with a Valkyrie after I threw my putters and mids. Slower=far, smooth=far. Throw from a standstill then work in a one step throw and keep progressing that's the only way you can learn how to throw. Trust me throwing those high speed discs will make you hate the game. Good luck.

I find more of these silly distance drivers then anything else, I think if I went my entire life just playing with speed 9 and under I'd be good. The distance drivers are awesome for FH throws tho.

I actually only drive RHFH... in fact, the only thing i do back hand is putt and approach.

I disced down to a Valk and Roadrunner and then disced down futher to a River and it's amazing. Slower than the others to match my arm speed/spind but with a ton of glide. It turns over just a touch to the right and then glides out with some fade at the end. Easily my favorite disk. I would recommend it, if you are looking to go slower but still want something that will get out there on a good throw.

There's an entire generation with no frame of reference with which to comprehend this statement.

Seriously though, is it really necessary to format Champ and Z discs before you use them?
I thought premium discs came pre-formatted from the manufacturer. :confused:

I just hope we don't start seeing disc formatters drawn on every bench like those stoopid disc chargers. Probably won't happen since none of these kids knows what it even means to format a disc.

There's an entire generation with no frame of reference with which to comprehend this statement.

Seriously though, is it really necessary to format Champ and Z discs before you use them?
I thought premium discs came pre-formatted from the manufacturer. :confused:

Nah, they're not pre-formatted, but I've heard they do come plug and play for ARM 3.0 and above. Unfortunately, I'm stuck with ARM 1.0 and so haven't been able to test that for myself.

I'm so confused and it's been a long day. But here goes: all my disks come pre-formatted (just got a cheap 64GB USB drive) but for a PC. My discs haven't needed formatting but I haven't tried throwing them at a Mac yet.

Latest posts