• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Distance without a Run Up

What is your max repeatable Standstill Distance?

• Total voters

gcr_russell

* Ace Member *
Im a standstill thrower. Ive posted a thread like this in the past but wanted to include a poll this time to gauge where everyone stands.

How far does everyone throw with no run up? Not one step, just feet planted?

I feel like Im almost plateauing distance wise without a runup (not an option with a bad knee) but I would love to be able to push some more distance out of it.

I have a buddy who can still bomb stand still..... me not so much. I haven't done a lot of stand still other than when the situation mandates it. I would say I would be in the low 300's for max d on stand still. My buddy still puts them out to about 400'.

I'm in the 200-250 range. I'm working on it. I was throwing some nice one-step throws on Monday to 270 with my mids.

I regularly can reach 350-370'. I have thrown 420' a time or two, but definitely not on command at all, so Im voting 350-400.

Dude that is awesome!

Its been just a recent development that I get my Magics over 250' from a stand still, but I havent pushed my other discs much further like that yet so Im staying 250'-300'

I regularly can reach 350-370'. I have thrown 420' a time or two, but definitely not on command at all, so Im voting 350-400.
I know that at LEAST one of those shots broke 400' when we played together. That hole that played over the road for sure. You know, the one where my disc didn't make it to the road, and yours cleared it, and kept going .. lol. We were on the black tees, and I think that hole was about 570', and you were easily within 150', if not closer.

That's the only way I throw. Sure, I can get more distance when I run up, but accuracy drops drastically. I should actually edit my response (but I don't think I can). When I practice, I think I consistently throw around 350' on flat ground so I should probably be in the next tier down. On the course, it's closer to 320-340' depending on the hole, but I've maxed out close to 400'.

id say 250 - 300 gotta throw like that in winter conditions snow on the teepads = no runups unless you feel like falling.

I know I can put teebirds out past 300 from a standstill...and I'm sure TLs could go further. The fact is I've never seen how far I'm capable of throwing with no run up. If I'm outside of 300 I'll be taking at least one step unless my lie prevents it. Also, I could probably throw a FH farther from a standstill.

I know I can put teebirds out past 300 from a standstill...and I'm sure TLs could go further. The fact is I've never seen how far I'm capable of throwing with no run up. If I'm outside of 300 I'll be taking at least one step unless my lie prevents it. Also, I could probably throw a FH farther from a standstill.
I can also throw a Forehand farther. With the right disc, I can get a nice turn over forehand drive 300 ft.

I am a stand still thrower and 350+ is my range. I could get 400 but accuracy would not be as great as a 350 shot.
I have tried to incorporate a run up but I either hurt myself or throw the disc in to the ground. Not worth it.

That's probably why I'm stuck with my distance. Going full power right from the start and either holding the same speed or burning out. Hmmm....:\

I had a major break-through after watching this video:

Watch that first drive when it goes into slow motion, and how delayed the movement of his upper-body is compared to his lower-body. I understood the concept of late acceleration, but this was the first video that I watched where the actual movement made sense to me. Since watching that I've started driving further than ever, and with less effort. I haven't taken it out to a field to measure distance, but I blew past a 325' basket today for the first time.