• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Distance without a Run Up

What is your max repeatable Standstill Distance?

• Total voters
I'd have to guess 300-350' bh and forehand. I know forehand standstill is about 350 but I don't do much standstill backhand.

Shaking my head at these distances. Are we talking no twist of the upper body and just snapping a bh or are we talking a full twist and normal throwing motion. When I try to throw too much from a standstill disaster ensues.
I've thought of a hole where the tee is backed up to a tree or wall and the shot would force a standstill. I have bad knees and ankles and like the idea of punishing the run up guys.

Twist and everything is fine. This is just considering planted feet during the throw without any sort of walk/run up whatsoever. I have a TErRIBLE right knee and the BH run up is completely out of question. I do love outthrowing guys with a full runup though. It's very satisfying to turn a couple heads when I throw longer holes and for distance. I love when those 400+ shots have witnesses.

Hey gcr Russ my knees and ankles are garbage how about me and u design a course with 4 ft tees with trees or cacti or boulders directly behind and we even the playing field for once against the 20 feet run and 10 foot follow thru guys

Hey gcr Russ my knees and ankles are garbage how about me and u design a course with 4 ft tees with trees or cacti or boulders directly behind and we even the playing field for once against the 20 feet run and 10 foot follow thru guys

I got pretty good at standstill forehands due to mud and winter months.

My home course nockamixon is mud then boulder and stone laden. It's called rockamixon by some. I love listening to the whining about the footing

Yea, forehand has a big advantage to backhand due to less pivot and need for a good base (hence good out shot)

I likethe idea. We already have one course (mountainview in bullhead city AZ) with a lot of elevated dirt tees on soft dirt with drop off behind and drop off immediately in front. I most definitely have an advantage there. I dont feel like it hinders me at all, and certainly gain advantages at times. I like that despite a limiting factor I can keep moving my DG game forward.

You didn't specify forehand or backhand, but I'm assuming u meant backhand. From a standstill backhand, I max out at probably 200. But that's strictly a control shot/upshot; I've never practiced it for distance. Forehand's a different matter, probably approaching 300 that way.

I can prob throw 300 with no run up, but I only throw about 120-160 on a course with no run up. Im not good with timing my throw, I NEED a run up to have better accuracy. If I'm in trouble I have n problem standing still and delivering, but really don't prefer it.

I'm probably right around the 300' mark RHBH with a mid-range, but would throw with a walk/run up if I were shooting farther than that. I rarely throw a driver from a standstill. All of you FH throwers have a large advantage here.

I got pretty good at standstill forehands due to mud and winter months.

I tend to use a lot of it in the Pacific NW as well. In Wa, there can be some harsh dging conditions, and with so many wooded courses, I tend to do a lot of standstill FH and some BH. Very successful unless you are playing on a big distance course that is wide open. If that is the case, learn the roller. Best wishes.

After I gained a lot of D in my drives when I started working w/ Mart Peters ( discraft vid more d now) he had me throwing from just one step. I have a lot of power, and he is all about eliminating the varibales in a throw. My accuracy is good, esp big D controlled accuracy. I use one step up to about 460ft then after that I use two steps or just hit it harder.

you do not need all that extra movements, a lot of people disagree w/ me even after they see my throw and say its because of my strength/power and not everyone can throw like that. my form/technique look no different whether its 250ft or 450 ft.