• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Distance without a Run Up

What is your max repeatable Standstill Distance?

• Total voters
I can push it well over 300 with a decent lie. Funny lies are hard to get good D from. I've accidentally whacked my hand on trees before and that really sucks.

I regularly can reach 350-370'. I have thrown 420' a time or two, but definitely not on command at all, so Im voting 350-400.

Are you throwing backhand or forehand for this distance?

I get better stand still distance with my forehand, but my backhand is definitely more accurate. I could stretch my beat in Force a little over 300' with my forehand and no run up. I most definitely couldn't get that with my backhand, but maybe with a buzzz or beat drone I could hit 250'+ backhand.

I wouldn't say I get a LOT of extra distance out of a walk/run up. Maybe an extra 50-100 feet. But, I can get about 350 without, so it doesn't matter a whole lot. I've never played a hole that needed more than about 420' + layup. The longest hole at my home course is 592' so I take a skip/X-step for that hole and unleash my Boss to about 420-425. I am playing a course in IL this summer though that I've HEARD has a 1200'+ hole, so I would like to push a little further there. Anyway, you can get more out of a run up, but (especially with your bad knee) I wouldn't give too much weight to the necessity of it.

50-100 feet extra is most definitely a lot of added D.

Think of it in percentages. Unless you're throwing world record D, then I guess I'm wrong

Are you throwing backhand or forehand for this distance?

Those distances are backhand. Forehand though is gonna be pretty similar at the time being. I dont throw it enough for distance right now to know where its at but I know its shorter than it was a year and a half ago, when I could come close to 450' FH without a run up. probably closer to 400' now.

50-100 feet extra is most definitely a lot of added D.

Think of it in percentages. Unless you're throwing world record D, then I guess I'm wrong

Yes speaking of percentages, it is a fair amount, but also in relation to the length of the hole, unless you're playing a killer long one, that much won't make a whole lot of difference.

Just recently hit 450+, and 400+ with regularity. This is a distance goal I didn't expect to hit yet. I'm extremely excited.

WOW! That's sick, man! It would be really nice to see a video about your throws. I'm pretty sure that there is something what we all can learn from you. :thmbup:

Last saturday I hit constantly 275-300 with soft and medium Ions.

Just recently hit 450+, and 400+ with regularity. This is a distance goal I didn't expect to hit yet. I'm extremely excited.

I am excited to see the video or show up at the So Cal meet up at Casitas. That is awesome :thmbup:

The SoCal Meetup is getting less and less likely, and more and more desirable. As far as video goes, I may just have to take something basic with my phone soon, to tide over until I get my hands on an actual video camera.

Im just glad that at the very least Ive had a whole bunch of people now see me in person hit these distances. While that doesnt do much good on the forums, it is better than having it all happen solo.

Well, since you helped me with my form GCR, I've been averaging about 310' stand still with my Tbird. Everyday I seem to get alittle farther. I've hit 360' a few times with a speed ten but I try to stay away from discs that fast 'till I eliminate OAT.

For the record… I think some of you are completely full of it. If you need clarification of what it is, please see here.

Why in the world would I ever want to throw for distance with no X step, walk into, or run up? The only occasion I could ever see this being useful would be if it was a sketchy stance, or surrounded by bushes where a walk up would be impossible.

Who practices standing flat footed and trying to throw for distance? Is this because of previous injury like the OP?

I'm growing weary of the internet lies today. Several users here exaggerate their true driving distance by 50' or greater on a regular basis but this just pushed me over the edge. This skill you are discussing would have to be practiced repetitively to ever break the 300' mark. I'm obviously extremely skeptical of the validity of this poll.

Kinda funny because I'm getting the opposite vibe. I'm actually feeling better about my own throwing after seeing this poll as my game and my practice are all either stand-still or one-step throws. I wish the poll had been in reference to a specific type of disc though.

Slowroll, don't know if you're refering to me or not but I guess I should clarify...

First, I cant x-step, I trip myself. I used to walk up but saw no added benifit and I think it throws my form off. I learned to throw from a stand still and was told to get that down before moving on.

Second, the fifteen years it says that ive been playing isnt accurate. I started in '95 but thats it. Only been playing about seven consistantly. I dont understand why you think someone playing that long can't throw that far standing still.

Third, the poll did ask about accuracy, just how far.

Fourth, I play five days a week on a preaty empty and open course so I actually feel like I'm behind the curve.

Again, don't know if you were referencing my post, so if you wernt, my bad. If you were I hope that helps explain things abit.

Last edited:
Slowroll, don't know if you're refering to me or not but I guess I should clarify...

Thank you sir, I do try to make a point of it to not single anybody out. My points are vaild(why do this?, and who even practices this?) even if they don't apply to you. Not picking on anybody, just callin BS on all the 250-300, 300+ votes since most of these guys aren't even 900+ rated golfers.

Thank you sir, I do try to make a point of it to not single anybody out. My points are vaild(why do this?, and who even practices this?) even if they don't apply to you. Not picking on anybody, just callin BS on all the 250-300, 300+ votes since most of these guys aren't even 900+ rated golfers.

First, I agree that some of these numbers sound like Internet distances.

Second, I have almost stopped doing run-ups - X-steps or otherwise. It plays havoc with my accuracy. I could probably get a good, consistent run-up with practice, but I just don't get to play very much.

Third, I'd rather get 200'+ with accuracy than 300' without accuracy.

Fourth, as I have begun to incorporate the standstill throw, I am gaining distance. I am beginning to see how people can get 300' with a standstill. Really, It's all about form...

A 250+ right pect. throw from a stand still with a fairway driver is not difficult for anybody with good form. Hell, I can do it most of the time and I don't think my form is all that hot.

I play with a one step drive or from a stand still since I'm new to the game to keep from introducing too many variables. If I did a run up or x-step,
i might get 20-30 more ft, but more likely i'm going to be in the privet and pine trees trying to find a trick shot to get to the pin.

I'd argue that averaging 300' stand still throws with a fairway driver should be within reach for any adult male without some type of preventative injury.

For the record… I think some of you are completely full of it. If you need clarification of what it is, please see here.

Why in the world would I ever want to throw for distance with no X step, walk into, or run up? The only occasion I could ever see this being useful would be if it was a sketchy stance, or surrounded by bushes where a walk up would be impossible.

Who practices standing flat footed and trying to throw for distance? Is this because of previous injury like the OP?

I'm growing weary of the internet lies today. Several users here exaggerate their true driving distance by 50' or greater on a regular basis but this just pushed me over the edge. This skill you are discussing would have to be practiced repetitively to ever break the 300' mark. I'm obviously extremely skeptical of the validity of this poll.

run up does less then you think to the throw. the last 12" is the most important part of the throw, and most people should be able to throw 85%-90% of their run up distance with a standstill.

why do you care if people lie on the internet? especially about something as trivial as standstill driving distance.

Latest posts