• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Distance without a Run Up

What is your max repeatable Standstill Distance?

• Total voters
I've never seriously tried runups. They throw off my accuracy.

As for straight distance? 300 for mids, 350 for drivers. 150 for putters. That is a form issue, though. Just gotta work on getting big D with a lid.

I see people with runups get over five hundred sometimes. The thing is... there's no reason to do that on any course near me, except on maybe one or two holes

For those of you that put +350...what are you throwing to do it:confused:

For those of you that put it 400...Do you know how to use a tape measure?

I can do 350+ with consistency using an Orc, but have gotten that far with a Stalker.

400+ I have hit also with an Orc, but I typically throw a Katana, or Boss for that kind of distance.

I've recently gotten rid of my run up because of a nose up problem that was creeping in and I felt I needed to work on form and technique. So I've dumped high speed drivers and gone back to basics. It has done amazing things for me, I now throw consistently farther than I did with a run up or higher speed discs. I constantly out drive my friends with a buzzz or roc. I've been measuring shots with a gps shot tracker on my phone. I can put them consistently to about 300-320'. Putters (Rhyno and Omega) I get out to just shy of 200' when I go for max, and easily out to 150-170' for controlled shots.

I still need to get some good fairway drivers, just picked up a TL, as I've been throwing a beast and sidewinder for drivers. I've seen an improvement in my drivers, but nothing quite as dramatic as my mids and putters, although I've seen more out of the sidewinder than the beast. I think both are still too high speed for what I've been trying to do. From the few throws I have with it, I think the TL will do good things for me, but need a stable/overstable compliment to it.

A couple weeks ago I hit my max Standstill BH distance of a 445' shot and a nearly 460' shot both in Kingman AZ at 3333' of elevation on flat ground shots. Today I hit between 440-465 at my home course in 7-800' of elevation. I keep getting shocked that in the last month I continually am breaking my previous distance milestones.

If Im lucky and the memorial coverage covers the Amateurs I may get one of those drives on film. If not I may be able to find someone at the tourney willing to film me trying to make some long drives there, and hopefully I hit a couple more peak distance shots.

Fountain Hills has an elevation of nearly 2000 and so hopefully Ill be getting a couple 450ish shots out there. I don't expect to ever hit 500' but it's seeming more and more likely that 450 can become less and less of a fluke as time moves on.

I've recently gotten rid of my run up because of a nose up problem that was creeping in and I felt I needed to work on form and technique. So I've dumped high speed drivers and gone back to basics. It has done amazing things for me, I now throw consistently farther than I did with a run up or higher speed discs. I constantly out drive my friends with a buzzz or roc. I've been measuring shots with a gps shot tracker on my phone. I can put them consistently to about 300-320'. Putters (Rhyno and Omega) I get out to just shy of 200' when I go for max, and easily out to 150-170' for controlled shots.

I still need to get some good fairway drivers, just picked up a TL, as I've been throwing a beast and sidewinder for drivers. I've seen an improvement in my drivers, but nothing quite as dramatic as my mids and putters, although I've seen more out of the sidewinder than the beast. I think both are still too high speed for what I've been trying to do. From the few throws I have with it, I think the TL will do good things for me, but need a stable/overstable compliment to it.

I am now using an Eagle X (one champ, one star) as my main driver. I also use a TL (and a Leopard downwind) for my understable drivers.

how are you guys measuring these distances...the lasers can be a touch squirrelly, sort of like your aim while using them. i use a decent $70 measuring wheel that is easily calibrated, and works great. seems like most are using the eye it method which when cross referenced with other said method tends to open those eyes.

i can sling it decently far, and i'd say i can only consistently hit 330' or so without any run up at all. if you can throw over 400' with no run up, why wouldn't you try it and see what you could reach?

whoever says the run up is only the last 10-15% has bumped their head and should most likely seek medical services.

i can sling it decently far, and i'd say i can only consistently hit 330' or so without any run up at all. if you can throw over 400' with no run up, why wouldn't you try it and see what you could reach?

If you'll see some of my posts earlier you'll see that my right knee is really bad. I have actually disloacted it twice on soft run-ups just because of the extra torque it places on my knee. The only way I can safely try to throw far is to completely eliminate that part of the throw.

To figure the distance I typically measure my throws against holes with existing distances, but also use google earth when Im measuring safari holes. A friend is bringing a measuring wheel to the course this week to verify the distances on the throw I had today. My other two previous 450ish throws were on holes with established distances (430ish, and 445')

If you'll see some of my posts earlier you'll see that my right knee is really bad. I have actually disloacted it twice on soft run-ups just because of the extra torque it places on my knee. The only way I can safely try to throw far is to completely eliminate that part of the throw.

Are you just using a typical golf stance/motion? Or more like a pitcher motion with a runner on base, lifting the plant/pivot leg?

Not quite sure...

This is as I pull back
4600107315_d5cd53e0d8.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

This is my follow-through
4600106341_b9d8e455c0.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

This isnt on a distance throw - Just a 280-300 foot Big Hyzer line, and pics were taken 6-9 months ago and my form has cleaned since then.

So is your right leg is planted during the entire throw, or does it leave the ground before the pull?

It stays planted the entire time with only a little bit of rotation. Unlike the typical pivot on your front foot on the follow through, I try to keep a lot of my weight on my back foot so that my right knee never has much pressure on it in the pivoting motion.

I think I gotcha son. Your foot/feet pivot looks normal for a golf swing, but a little wider stance.

I pull back much less and follow through less, I get better d and control that way. I do stand sideways but do not pull back the full 180. 400 ft is my average long throw with 20 feet give or take. I could only throw 350 ten years ago without wind help.

Latest posts