• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Distance without a Run Up

What is your max repeatable Standstill Distance?

• Total voters
Again I hit a new standstill record!! This is the third time in the last two weeks!! Today I accurately measure it with Google Earth with a bench as a solid reference point and hit 483 with a perfect Left to Right Tail/Crosswind at about 10-15 mph. I hit 450 a couple times in the wind as well and one other near the 480. I am still shocked at the distance jumps in the last month but more excited.

My "Run Up" is lifting my left leg up and landing on my right, Thats pretty much it. 275'-325' Ive had some knee troubles in the past and dont want to aggravate them. Damn my knees get pissed. I got a buddy who has this crazy 4 step, Xtep whatever run up and I think it does him no good at all, He's all over the place.

Again I hit a new standstill record!! This is the third time in the last two weeks!! Today I accurately measure it with Google Earth with a bench as a solid reference point and hit 483 with a perfect Left to Right Tail/Crosswind at about 10-15 mph. I hit 450 a couple times in the wind as well and one other near the 480. I am still shocked at the distance jumps in the last month but more excited.

lets see a vid of it man. not trying to call you out, but from your pics, your form is lacking, and i just can't believe you can hit these distances with no run up unless you are throwing rollers down a mountain.

Last edited:
lets see a vid of it man. not trying to call you out, but from your pics, your form is lacking, and i just can't believe you can hit these distances with no run up unless you are throwing rollers down a mountain.

No worries, Taking video actually next week, and will be able to post it then. Ill make sure at least a few 400+ shots get on tape. I'd think my form isn't lacking, but it is possible that it is different. Considering I have a weak right knee to not pivot enough on, and to definitely not run up with. I also rarely played with better players (or any other players) as I developed and maybe my form developed more naturally?

Regardless, I can definitely throw over 400' and hit 450' on the right day. The 480'ish yesterday was just perfect conditions... But so was 450 a week ago, and 400 a couple months ago.

i just got back from playing a round, as the weather is great here today, touch windy, but i like wind. so, i tried some stand still bombs, and some x step bombs, and noticed no difference in the torgue on my left knee (lefty obviously). actually seems like i apply more pressure to it when standing still and throwing hard. the only way i could find to not apply that pressure was with 0 follow through. without follow through i'm going to go ahead and say it's impossible to reach said distances. IF you can, you definitely need to post up some vids and school us on how it's done.

i just got back from playing a round, as the weather is great here today, touch windy, but i like wind. so, i tried some stand still bombs, and some x step bombs, and noticed no difference in the torgue on my left knee (lefty obviously). actually seems like i apply more pressure to it when standing still and throwing hard. the only way i could find to not apply that pressure was with 0 follow through. without follow through i'm going to go ahead and say it's impossible to reach said distances. IF you can, you definitely need to post up some vids and school us on how it's done.

You try to call a lot of people out. Where are your videos?

What I do is a five step process.
  1. Plant my feet and extend my arm out to where I want to release, adjusting the angle of the disc and shifting my body's angle as needed.
  2. Pull back slowly and shift all my weight to my back foot.
  3. Shift forward again and bring the disc out in a wide sweep that it level with my chest.
  4. At the same time, shove off hard with the back foot so that it leaves the ground at the moment of release, ensuring that I've transferred all the energy of the throw forward.
  5. Turn around and smile at the dude who did the ten step run up and got 3/4 the distance I just did.

What I do is a five step process.
  1. Plant my feet and extend my arm out to where I want to release, adjusting the angle of the disc and shifting my body's angle as needed.
  2. Pull back slowly and shift all my weight to my back foot.
  3. Shift forward again and bring the disc out in a wide sweep that it level with my chest.
  4. At the same time, shove off hard with the back foot so that it leaves the ground at the moment of release, ensuring that I've transferred all the energy of the throw forward.
  5. Turn around and smile at the dude who did the ten step run up and got 3/4 the distance I just did.

I didn't meet you at Limona a couple months ago did I? Because that sounds exactly like I guy I played with...

Naw, man. Never been to that course.

Now, if you see a guy like that putting with a Jeep cart and a Dallas Cowboys shirt, driving with a Buzzz and putting with a GumbPutt from the 80s, that'd be me.

You'd have to come up to Jacksonville area though... I don't travel much and if I do, it's to Reed Canal in Daytona.

Though my grandparents do live in Clearwater, so we might meet one day. Maybe over summer.

I voted for 350-400 before reading the "no step at all clause". I have stopped trying a run up, and only use a single step. I mostly play a short course, longest hole distance is 300', though some holes play longer as that's 300' downhill. I haven't measured any throws in a long time either, but I know that I can throw my Sidewinder and Valkyries way too far to be of much use, except on the 280' uphill hole when it's into a strong wind.

My "Run Up" is lifting my left leg up and landing on my right, Thats pretty much it. 275'-325' Ive had some knee troubles in the past and dont want to aggravate them. Damn my knees get pissed. I got a buddy who has this crazy 4 step, Xtep whatever run up and I think it does him no good at all, He's all over the place.

Amen to this! I have ankle and knee troubles in the past. When working on a run-up it was rough on my ankle. I get plenty of distance without a run, and less than great form I'm sure. I feel like if I ever wanted to work on things more, this is still plenty of distance for me to reach with my one step routine.

Another big plus in my mind is that my one step routine eliminates switching from a run-up type shot for max distance, and then having to go to a smaller/shorter routine for shorter shots.

My routine is almost virtually the same whether I throw a Valk or a Aviar when doing anything but putting.

I definitely hit 420-450 a few times at the memorial. Other DGCR members can vouch for +400 BH and FH now too. Took a little video at one point before warming up, probably still broke 400 but not sure when I'll get to see it.

Just realized that as well as vouching for the fact that I can throw decently far, unfortunately the other DGCR members were along for the round where they can vouch that I know how to throw discs directly into the water/over the street into cacti/over any possible OB lines/directly into trees before rolling into the water.

Dang.

I wasnt very good at any of those things before that round... I must've studied hard the night before because I was an expert Friday.

Even Doss took an 8 on hole 1 and Barry hit that senior citizen/car by flipping a Roc directly at OB during his final round. There was some crazy stuff happening at that tournament.

Even Doss took an 8 on hole 1 and Barry hit that senior citizen/car by flipping a Roc directly at OB during his final round. There was some crazy stuff happening at that tournament.

Absolutely. I had zero OBs round one, and only 3 OBs round two which resulted in 3 of my 4 bogeys.

In round 3, I had roughly 8 OBs, and matched my previous high of 4 bogeys on one hole alone with a quadruple bogey. I really made an awful lot of poor decisions. A couple of my favorite holes where I consider myself to have no OB danger I still put my drives nowhere near safe.

Latest posts