• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Distance without a Run Up

What is your max repeatable Standstill Distance?

• Total voters
why do you care if people lie on the internet? especially about something as trivial as standstill driving distance.

Thank you to 6 month guy and 2 month guy for the wisdom. I have learned so much.

lolcats-funny-pictures-submissions.jpg

Thank you to 6 month guy and 2 month guy for the wisdom. I have learned so much.

lolcats-funny-pictures-submissions.jpg

oh hey your welcome.

next time you want to be extremely condescending and arrogant, you can hit me up.

i guess answering your question correctly is negated by the fact that I have been playing for 7 months.

but i don't think you were looking for answers

I'd be impressed to see your 350'+ stand still throws. I can't even comprehend such a feat right now.

For the record, I really enjoyed the preceding rant.

I also pity your perfectly manicured courses, among other things.

Due to physical limitations, I began throwing from a standstill, hitting around 220-230 consistently. I am now beginning to utilize a one-step-up and an x-step, reaching 300-320 now. I believe that being able to throw from different approaches could improve your game. IMO

5428784201_74ef1b7e7e.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

5006695290_5e49ecba55.jpg
[/url]/IMG]

Here are a couple pictures of me on my follow through from the stand still. Surely doesn't help much, but its better than nothing.

Slowroll- I don't know why these distances are so hard to believe... I throw 900' from a standstill with my throwing hand tied behind my back clinching the disc in my teeth. I started throwing this way because I thought that is how everybody did it but what do I know, I've only been playing for 3 weeks.

I don't really ever "want" to throw with out an x-step but many times the lye requires it. Plus, it feels pretty naturally to me because of the way I learned to play dg in the first place. My "years playing" is a little misleading since I actually started playing object golf in the 70s. Yep, I'm that old. Anyway, the guy who taught me how to play didn't know the rules and you couldn't cross your lie on any throw after the tee shot. So, we got pretty good at standing distance throws. I still often throw approach shots that way even when I do have room. I have better accuracy that way and as long as you can get the weight transfer timed with your hit, you can really huck it out there. And like somebody else said, the feet you might shave off in distance can be well worth it for the gain in accuracy.

I'm pretty solid on approach shots with my feet planted, but my distance isn't something I've spent enough time on. I would say my usable distance on the course drops from close to 400' with an x-step to maybe 350' from a standstill, and that's on a day where I'm throwing well.

Slowroll- I don't know why these distances are so hard to believe... I throw 900' from a standstill with my throwing hand tied behind my back clinching the disc in my teeth. I started throwing this way because I thought that is how everybody did it but what do I know, I've only been playing for 3 weeks.

Thank you so much for this. I thought I was the only one. :p

Also, my dog, "Daisy May", has taken to pooping golden turds. I am planning on using the proceeds from selling them to finance my 2011 discgolfing misadventures. :D

For the record… I think some of you are completely full of it. If you need clarification of what it is, please see here.

Why in the world would I ever want to throw for distance with no X step, walk into, or run up? The only occasion I could ever see this being useful would be if it was a sketchy stance, or surrounded by bushes where a walk up would be impossible.

Who practices standing flat footed and trying to throw for distance? Is this because of previous injury like the OP?

I'm growing weary of the internet lies today. Several users here exaggerate their true driving distance by 50' or greater on a regular basis but this just pushed me over the edge. This skill you are discussing would have to be practiced repetitively to ever break the 300' mark. I'm obviously extremely skeptical of the validity of this poll.

I say nancy boy, what got your panties in a bunch? Do you need a hug? I once had a young and tender wing. So you are just now becoming skeptical of internet distance, maybe this will translate to being skeptical of other things in the world.

Throwing in my 2 cents about the standstill v. the run-up. I don't doubt that people can throw pretty dang far using just a standstill. This certainly goes for gcr_russel, esp since he's had witnesses, which always help :) But it's worth noting, he didn't have much choice and has dedicated himself to this technique. I still kinda feel that throwing with a run-up offers most people the potential of throwing farther than just from a standstill. A simple analogy is to throwing a baseball. Sure you could huck it from a standstill, but how many outfielders do you see throwing that way for a throw into home plate?? Not many that I've seen! Getting back to DG, I can understand the draw for just using the standstill. For one, I think it's just easier overall than using a run-up and then it's also maybe more consistent in hitting the your line. One thing I noticed from reading through the thread, is that a few standstill throwers noted that they don't get out to the course very much. Maybe it's sort of a short cut for throwing consistently. There's no doubt, that learning a full run-up/x-step takes time, but for most players it will payoff in the long run. Having said all that, just throw however gets u into the bucket in the least amount of shots :thmbup:

I say nancy boy, what got your panties in a bunch? Do you need a hug? I once had a young and tender wing. So you are just now becoming skeptical of internet distance, maybe this will translate to being skeptical of other things in the world.

hehe, I hope the newer posters don't take Slowroll too seriously. No doubt he believes what he says, but he can come across as pretty grumpy for a 30-something, lol. Slowroll, what r u gonna be like when ur a 'grumpy old man'? ;)

One thing to note about the poll results, the distribution is probably about as close to standard normal as you're going to get given the ranges provided.

hehe, I hope the newer posters don't take Slowroll too seriously. No doubt he believes what he says, but he can come across as pretty grumpy for a 30-something, lol. Slowroll, what r u gonna be like when ur a 'grumpy old man'? ;)

Now I just fuss at randoms for lying about their flat-footed distance on the interwebs, later on in life, I'll take to whacking orderlies with a cane. Where's my #$%& cane???