• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do all different types of plastic for the same disc have the same characteristics?

brettmartin

Like, I have a DX Roc now. If I was to get a Champion or a Pro Roc, would it still have the same flight patterns. Such as the speed, fade, glide, turn?

Thanks.

According to Innova a lot of the disc are supposed to fly the same, but 9 times out of 10 it isn't true. I have several disc that are the same mold,plastic, and weight and they don't even fly the same. As for Rocs so I believe starting from overstable to understable it is

Champion
Super
KC
DX

But that is just how they tend to act for me others might show it different.

If you have never read Joe's disc chart you need to ( http://gottagogottathrow.com/discgo...1.pdf?osCsid=348e186d90f491327a9b8cdd6a8fa481 ). He has done more to check and compare plastic types and discs from different manufacturers than anyone I can find and on his chart he makes the following statement...

Discs in higher grades of plastic will generally fly more overstable than lower
grades of plastic.

If my own experience is any indication I would agree with Joe.

I have a DX, Champ , and Star Wraith, and they all fly a little different. I also have a Champ Valk, and a DX and the DX is much more understable than the Champ.

I have found Champ plastic to always be more overstable .

If my own experience is any indication I would agree with Joe.

Discraft acknowledges this as well. I've seen that the stability ratings that are stamped on their discs vary by plastic. For example, a Pro-D Cyclone is marked with a "0" stability, while an Elite X Cyclone is marked with a "1" stability. The ESP Cyclone also has a "1" stability rating. They show the differences on their flight chart, which is nice: http://www.discraft.com/downloads/flightchart_0905.jpg

Discraft acknowledges this as well. I've seen that the stability ratings that are stamped on their discs vary by plastic. For example, a Pro-D Cyclone is marked with a "0" stability, while an Elite X Cyclone is marked with a "1" stability. The ESP Cyclone also has a "1" stability rating. They show the differences on their flight chart, which is nice: http://www.discraft.com/downloads/flightchart_0905.jpg

I will have to check this out. I have been using a Challenger for my putter because after trying different putters from Innova I found they did work for me ( except the aero which I use for an approach and long hyzer putter). This has got me thinking I would like to try some others and this info will help.

Thanks.

Brett, Brett, Brett, you gotta learn how to use search function, man.;)

If the search function were mandatory, most newbies would have to wade through threads 50+ pages long, including dead threads that regulars hoped would stay dead! People's opinions/advice may change as well, so demanding someone use search is like telling someone who wants a good in-depth look at our current economy to go buy CE Ferguson's "Principles of Economics" from 1965...;) Bad example, I know, but forums are meant to evolve, not just recycle old material and beat a dead horse.

Like, I have a DX Roc now. If I was to get a Champion or a Pro Roc, would it still have the same flight patterns. Such as the speed, fade, glide, turn?

Thanks.
I wouldn't expect two discs from the same mold from different runs to fly the same, much less two discs from the same mold in different plastics.

Sometimes two discs from the same mold and same run are different. Discraft just brought out the Cyclone in ESP plastic. Great news! The blue and green ones have a nice dome and fly like the great old Tournament Pro Cyclones with the great glide. The orange and white ones are flatter, flippier and have less glide. So if you get a blue or green one, you will think "Wow, what a great disc." If you get an orange or white one, you will think "What a flippy POS."

Same mold. Same run. Some are gold. Some are poop.

I know it seems crazy and insane to a new player that you have all of those discs and all of those plastics, and even if you figure out what the manufacturer says all of these discs should fly like you have to learn if the flat ones or domey ones or X mold or L mold are the good ones...ARGH! Isn't there a simpler way?

Nope. It is what it is. Keep throwing. The game is great. You will figure out what you need to know.

I throw many champion roc(5 in my bag), and they are just like DX. They all have a purpose and they all fly just a touch different. The funny thing about rocs is they all beat in a touch different and they all have thier little quirks, but if you find the right ones for your throw then your good.

I definitely agree with what has already been posted. I have found the Champion and Star plastics to be a little more stable than their DX counterparts.