• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Do you Approach with the same putter that you putt with?

Yup. I both approach and putt with VPs, usually the Medium.

I use the same putter, the Pure, except in specific situations when I need something more stable, then I use my breaker. I've gone back and forth on this, but I like the Pure for everything right now.

I use a Soft Focus for almost all of my putts and approach shots. I've tried Ions, Aviars, Rhynos...I keep going back to the trusty Focus though.

Mold, yes. Actual disc. No.

I have two putters i only putt with. And one i throw and approach with. When it gets beat in, ill toss a new one in and save the other for a putting putter

Right now I use a SS wizard and Organic wizard for putting, for approach I use Rhynos, one beefy dx and a straighter r-pro, but I have a Zero Hard Sinus that is in tryouts right now that looks like it's going to be kicking my rhynos out of the bag soon.

YES! I just tried out a Zero Hard Mercy and it is working for me. Used it for my approach and putter for warm ups and two rounds last time I got to the course. Really like the plastic firmness on approaches.

This is also the first putter I have tried in a heavier weight (174, most of my others are 167) and love it. Maybe the weight helps the awesomeness? It settles well and you can put a little on it without blasting past the pin. Looking like this is replacing my Anode as my go to putter and my Avair as an approach disc.

Same mold different discs.

172 opaque soft proton Ion for putts.
175 soft neutron Ion for drives and approaches.

I'm hooked on their white opaque soft plastic. Would also love seeing them do a run of soft neutron Ions in the new light blue they've been making lately.

I tee off with the 172 every once in a while, and it's awesome how little its flight has changed for a 2.5 year old putter.

Yes, I putt and approach with the same disc(s). My only putter since I got it has been an FLX Challenger (which I love) but this season I decided to get another putter and I went with a Neutron Ion. I will approach with either one depending on what I feel like throwing, I don't really think much of it. I have taken to putting strictly with my Ion just to give it a real test since I've been using my Challenger forever. My Challenger feels like a beach frisbee after using the Ion, though, so I'm seeing which disc I'd rather putt with regularly.

The same mold yes, but I dont like using my money broken in putters to drive/approach because Im attached to them and dont want huge gouges/breaks haha.

Great thread. I love these types of threads because as a Noob (playing >3 months) I can learn so much from more experienced players.

Currently I do all my putting <75' with a Pro-D Challenger. This disc has been deadly accurate for me out to 40' earning me kudos from more experienced players on a few occasions. For approaches/upshots/drives from 75' on out to 200+ I use one of my Mids, either a Panther or King Cobra.

For upshots/approaches inside of 100' I've noticed I have been really having to power down so as not to way overshoot the target lately with my mids. After reading this thread I think I really need to ad a second putter to my bag for approaches and dedicate one strictly for putts inside the 10m circle.

After reading this thread I think I really need to ad a second putter to my bag for approaches and dedicate one strictly for putts inside the 10m circle.
Pick up another Challenger for approaches since it seems you have been having success with it. Also, if you're finding you have approach shots that fade too much with the Challenger, try out a Magnet to pair with it. They make a great pair.

I use zero soft pures as my main putters and an opto pure for approaches or drives. I also carry 2 credo for short hyzers or crazy wind situations. i basically never drive with my putting putters tbh.

Pick up another Challenger for approaches since it seems you have been having success with it. Also, if you're finding you have approach shots that fade too much with the Challenger, try out a Magnet to pair with it. They make a great pair.

Thanks... I will definitely check out the Magnet.

I carry several putters.

I use a Clutch for anything 50-60ft and in. Over that distance out to 220ft, I use a Soft Magnet. I like to approach with the Soft Magnet, because the Clutch tends to hit the ground and slide 10-15ft when coming in from over 60ft, and the Soft Magnet will land and stick. I am also very good and hitting chain with the Soft Magnet from long distances,I just have trouble putting with soft discs inside of 50ft.

I also carry a very beat in Soft Magnet that I use for understable shots out to 200ft, and I carry a Challenger for overstable putting and approaches.

I use zero soft pures as my main putters and an opto pure for approaches or drives. I also carry 2 credo for short hyzers or crazy wind situations. i basically never drive with my putting putters tbh.

I'm the same way. Credo for curved approaches, Pure for straight approaches & putting.

NO

Beat Star Aviar for most upshots

2012_11_%2525209_21_%2525208.jpg

R-Pro Aviar for the chains

2012_11_%2525209_21_%2525209.jpg