• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Do you Approach with the same putter that you putt with?

I've been doing tunnel shots and approaches with the KC Pro or Ion. Honestly, though, at 150ish, I trust the Ghost a lot more to go where I put it, since I don't have do put as much effort into it.

Classic Judge does all the actual putting.

hB17890CF

Putters are for PUTTING
I Putt with CT Challengers and throw Rhynos of the Tee.

I only use one mold, but a couple different discs. One Wizard strictly for the circle, the rest for all drives and approaches.

Edit:

I have one putter that's for nothing but putting. I have another 3 that cover the full range of stabilities for drives and approaches. All wizards.

^What he said.

Last edited:
I carry three Ions, one strictly for putting, one beat in to a hyzer flip disc that has a little turn thrown flat, and one fresh one that is stable/overstable. I also have a Zone for skips, forehand approaches, crazy winds, etc.

The putting putter is only for putting. The Ions are used for 95% of my approaches, and I use them all the time. I'm using the new, frehser one more and more. The Zone is more a utility disc.

I carry 3 molds but have a couple for each
Breaker- Forehand putter (approaches and drives)
Judge- Classic (main putter), getting a moonshine lucid air for drives, really can't wait for that
Warden- Approaches, putts 40ft and out.

My primary putting putter is an Avair P&A. I don't use it for approaches.

I generally carry with a full bag 3-4 putters. I use either a SSS Wizard or Classic Soft Judge for approaches. I also carry a XG Champion Rhyno for approaches or putts with a significant risk of rollaway. The Wizard and Judge are also good sometimes for rollaways but not generally. I also use the Wizard or Judge in the wind for putting.

I used to just use the Wizard but I cannot find a good backup to my really well broken in SSS Wizard. My other SSS Wizards are much more stiff. (I tried a RFF but it did not even feel like the same disc.) I have been braking in two Classic Soft Judges because the plastics appear to be more consistent and they may eventually be pushing out the Wizard. I still use the stiffer SSS Wizards in the wind on occassion.

I also occassionally on some very hilly courses replaced my Aviar with a really broken in SSS Warlock or Omega SS. They feel similar to the Avair and I use them in putting practice.

So you emphasize that putters are for putting, and then said that you throw Rhynos (a putter) from the tee? :confused:

Yess probably worded wrong and misspelled for sure. I got to caught up in My sweet Cat photo. I throw two different Molds Stiff Challengers (CT's) that are used Strickly for Putting and a Putt & Approach disc the "Rhyno" for throwing. Sorry

at any given time i have at least 5 putters in the bag
1 putting putter (i will NEVER approach with or throw off the tee)
several others that have different duties depending on the day and my mood
soft proton anode
neutron anode
soft vp
flx challenger
zone
opto pure

tried the ion and just not feelin' it

D-Line Reef for circle putting, Soft Proton Ion for everything else except wind, then ESP Zone.

I carry three Ions, one strictly for putting, one beat in to a hyzer flip disc that has a little turn thrown flat, and one fresh one that is stable/overstable. I also have a Zone for skips, forehand approaches, crazy winds, etc.

The putting putter is only for putting. The Ions are used for 95% of my approaches, and I use them all the time. I'm using the new, frehser one more and more. The Zone is more a utility disc.

what weight and what plastic?

I do use the same mold, but different plastics. 171 gram Omega Super Soft Big Beads for putting and upshots only up to about 75 feet because it's too unstable, and for all longer upshots I use a 175 gram DX Aviar big bead. It's a little overstable and will hold spin for longer straight shots with almost no fade. I've been using Aviars since they came out so I am very comfortable with them.

I carry one DX and two Omegas. I almost never use a mini, so I use the other Omega if I have a comebacker.

If I am going for a putt I use a 175 protege Clozer within 60 ft and from that point to about 100ft I use a 173 excel Clozer. If I am just looking to lay-up the approach I would either use another non-putting 175 protege Clozer or 177 DX Roc.

One for putting... JK Pro Aviar for anything inside of 40' or so.

Outside of that I carry 4-5 other putters on any given day for drives, approaches, "trick" shots, etc.

Super beat flippy DX Aviar P and A. RHBH right turning disc.
Newer DX Aviar P and A to use on straight shots and to work in to flippy. (Optional disc.)
Star Aviar P and A for straight and light left turns, breaks in slowly.
Star Aviar Driver for more left turn, flex shots or wind.
ESP Zone forehand shots, windy days, more extreme flex shots, forehand rollers.

All are as close to 175g as I can find.

Last edited:
I approach with the same putter I putt with, but not with the same physical disc I putt with. Which disc I use gets a little hazy when we're talking layups, since I'll use my softer putting-putters for those.

I almost never feel like my putting putter is the best approach choice. Most of my approaches are with a pure or zone, and I don't like putting with either, but could certainly get it done with a Pure. Loved approached with a Judge, and could go back to it for both if I had to.

Star Dart for everything. I carry two, both the same weight. The blue one is my putter, putter. Red is my approach putter. But if the blue one has been bad and missed a few putts I'll switch for awhile and make it be the approach disc. Doesnt seem to be much Dart love out there but I really dig them.

I use my putting putter for anything under 100 unless I know I don't have it. Like if it has a really low sealing. Anything outside of putting range I use a flx drone and I usually do a soft FH to plop it up there.