• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do you carry a "throw away " disc?

I did have a dx leopard that I used to carry for a "throw away disc" til last week when I gave it to some kids trying to play with a beach frisbee. I usually try to keep at least one disc handy that I won't mind not coming home with.

I've got a Rogue I use on water shots I might loose it on. It flies and feels like a Surge/SL for me with more fade. Prime and Marshall Street usually have this disc for $8 so it's cheap to replace as well.

I firmly believe in the advice once given by a sports psychologist on the first ruond of PDGA Radio podcasts:
"Don't throw floater discs. As soon as you pull out your floater disc you are saying to yourself, 'I know I'm not going to make this shot.'" Yes, I am grabbing my Rogue only on those shots but I am confident of my abilities with it so I don't think I'm a complete hypocrite...but maybe a litte bit.

Orange DX Cheetah is my throw away disc. But it is starting to get broke-in decentlly, and now I may wan tto keep it. I need to lose it soon or I am going to have a problem.

I have a blue DX Cheetah that I use for risky water shots.... That, or I just throw my Champion Groove: I dont care if I lose that thing!

If I ever get to play Flyboy I'm definitely throwing two old Pro Beasts that I could care less about in the bag. Don't feel like losing any of my main drivers over those daunting water holes. Normally I do not carry one though.

My home course has three holes with the lake in play and generally a lot of wind, so I carry a lot of water discs. 2 distance drivers, 2 fairway drivers, a midrange and a putter. They are mostly dx or lake retrieved versions of my main discs. I prefer to use "water" discs so I can go for the riskier shots without worrying about losing a disc.

I have a DX Wraith, DX Valk, and a DX Eagle that I'll take to courses where a splashdown is possible.

hell i carry dx discs i find in this one pond. draw all over them with sharpie. and on the back i write. "i know my disc looks ruff but its my first ace disc! please return 50.00 reward" and then i put dominoes number on it and names like jon.jack.or tom lol.

I keep a DX Wraith in my bag on courses where major water is involved. Won't usually throw it unless there is some kind of pond or lake in play. Creeks don't scare me too much, even if I have to get a little wet to get it back. I'd actually feel better about searching in a knee-high creek for Star plastic than DX.

Evryone carries dx wraiths! whats with you people! lol ive gotten over 200 discs out last 2 months from my secret pond and at least 30 were dx. lol

I carry a couple DX destroyers as my throw-away drivers. The closest course to me is Como Lake so, I'm pretty much guaranteed to lose a disc or two every month.

I don't carry any at the moment, but I will definitely be picking up one or two shortly.

I have some pro wraiths I found in the water that I will throw over (380 ft) over water) pretty risky shot

I carry "throw away" discs. Usually old DX plactic but still consisitent discs and I throw them on the practice field before I use them at the course.

Usually old DX plactic but still consisitent discs and I throw them on the practice field before I use them at the course.

Yeah, you have to do this. Nothing like stepping up to a tee with a disc you have never thrown only to find it to be more/less stable than its premium plastic counterpart, watch it hit a tree branch, and then plop into the depths of noreturnville.

I had a DX Eagle I used for water shots instead of my Star Eagle. I tried to go for it at Buckhorn (17?) and would have made it had it not been for the leaves that it grazed. I had just saved my coyote from the same pond just a couple holes earlier. Oh well.

I don't carry "throw aways" anymore. If I lose a disc or two each month, this sport is still much cheaper than any other. Any discs I win in tourneys just sit on the shelf at home so they can take the place of their non-retrievable brothers.

By the way...if any of you purchased a throw away disc...you are not saving the money you thought you were, you still bought more plastic!