• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do you carry a "throw away " disc?

I have a Hydra and a very old, very beat DX Eagle that I found in the water. Having a disc you don't need to worry about does let you relax and just throw. I have yet to lose them. The hydra did go into the water once when some wind got under it and flipped it. Had to wait 30 minutes for it to float back to shore. I'm not losing my expensive discs.

I have a bunch of "new" dx plastic I throw over water. I don't want to loose any of my beat up dx plastic in the water. I think it is harder to beat up a disc. Besides, if a disc survives being thrown over water a lot, it begins to be beat up, and it works it way into the I will throw it when it is safe.

i will carry a brand new disc of some sort if there is a shot over water i'm not too confident in my ability to make on a given course. better to lose a new one than one you know well.

No extras! play to win every time...... if I start planning on the "throw away" concept, I am bound to screw up my form and get too anxious anyhow. I only have one local course where water comes into play, and it's 1 hole. If I'm having a really bad day I suppose I might just take my penalty stroke and drop, but I have yet to skip the hole and have glided to safety every time so far (knock, knock, knock)

As for loss in shrubs, overgrowth, etc. - I make sure to watch every throw closely and have spent up to 45 minutes hunting down a disc. I'll lay-up if the confidence is fading in a round. I just can't see carrying the extra disc yet - maybe when some of my current discs get beat-up too much they'll be an extra some day.:cool:

I don't carry "crap" discs for water except on a few very specific courses that have water+high wind in play simultaneously.

I have however, learned not to throw favorite or really expensive discs over high-risk shots (Don't throw your translucent 2nd run CE Valk on a forehand helix over a pond into a headwind, for instance).

I am a huge fan of X-out Champion discs. You can get some of them for as little as $8 (most are $10), and they fly great. That way, I can throw my main driver, and if I lose it, oh well --- I'm only out $8-$10. But my odds are high of making the shot, since I am throwing a disc I know and like.

I've got several backups of X-out Teebirds, Destroyers, Firebirds and Orcs -- these are what I throw 90% of the time on my drives, and 90% of the time over/around water as well.

i carry a star teerex(not the cheapest) that i throw. its close to my destroyer and good in winds. i haven't lost it yet and i dont plan to since i like it for my back-up driver.

I always carry a few cheapies as back up. These are usually DX plastic discs. Might have to look into getting some factory seconds.

I have these as extra I would only throw if I was worried about damage or loss.

Beat up Eagle that flies just as it should, despite its damage.
Beat up Viper with chunks out of the rim, used for spike hyzer shots that I am concerned might hit gravel or pavement or rocks.
Beat up Stingray, just in case I guess.
Dragon - although I have yet to throw this, every water shot I have had to clear has been easy enough to throw the eagle.

A few courses near me have ALOT of water hazards. I keep 3 "risk a discs" for different shots.

-150 DX Orc
-Beat 175 champion eagle
-Beat 167 champion teebird

well, i have discs that i intend to use in those kinds of shots, but i never actually use them. i just throw my best ones all the time. i still don't lose them though because i go in after them.

I have an old starfire that I use for shots that I am not confident it, but most of the time I am confident and just use my normal disc.

I have however, learned not to throw favorite or really expensive discs over high-risk shots (Don't throw your translucent 2nd run CE Valk on a forehand helix over a pond into a headwind, for instance).

That's what I've been doing wrong;) I use to throw crappy dx discs that I would find (no name OFCOURSE) but I've given them all to my brother who's starting out. He's got a job though and I don't so now he's getting his own darn discs.

The only junk discs that I carry are ones taht I find on the course without a name or number on them. Thank you disc golf friends. I do have a disc that I got from a tournament I played in that is becoming a junker as well. I'd still like to keep it though since it was from a tournament.

This makes enough sense i might need to try it. I do carry an old beaten dx valk that i could use. Unfortunately it is so worn all it does is slam to the right :eek:

I carry a few DX discs nowadays. They're not just good for water, they also come in handy when it is rainy or cold and your star and champ plastic starts getting really slick. This especially sucks for a flicker. In fact, I'm now trying to put together a collection of DX plastic (drivers and mids) for those cold and rainy days.

In my trunk, I have a backup of nearly every disc in my bag. I hate to lose a disc and will go to great lengths to find them. Having a backup of everything is good for my peace of mind, especially in tournament situations. I know that if worse comes to worse, I've got a backup in my trunk.

We had this very same dilemma this past weekend playing Black Diamond at Emery Park. There are a few baskets by a very deep and dangerous ravine and the small creek that runs by a hole that was very high and muddy. This summer the creek won't be a problem, but that ravine always will. My GF brought a couple "throwaway" discs and she used them but didn't lose any. I chose to go with my regular team and didn't lose any either. But it did mean playing a little more cautious. I hate laying up.

For I say use your regular discs. For me, I'd rather lose a disc and go for it. I like the challenge of accuracy and lower scores.

I have never done this but I have thought of if. I have gone to some lengths to retrieve a disc before. Includeing getting a decient pair of pants muddy when I played on the way home from work and did not have anything to change into. The place a cheap disc I would not feel bad loosing are those shots over a lake. There is a course in Macon Ga. with a 300 foot carry over water.

I have to assume that everything I have may get lost someday. I've come to terms with it.

Latest posts