• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do you go for "heroic" shots?

what?!? always go for it! otherwise go play tetherball or something lame

what?!? always go for it! otherwise go play tetherball or something lame

This guy knows what he's talking about. Unless you are in a tournament, you should go for every shot that is possible. If it is impossible, of course your not going to take the shot.

Example: Let's say im 200 from the basket but im in decently thick woods. I have no obvious line to put my disc on except to pitch out and play conservative or there is a small gap that I could make it out of but it's probably only do-able 3 out of ten times. If you don't take the 3 out of 10 risk... you sir are a vagina.

Look at Tiger Woods. If any of you saw the first round of the Masters on Thursday, you might have seen his approach shot on 9. He hooked his ball a little left and was behind a row of trees and had an impossible shot at the green. Basically his only option was to pitch out. But he didn't, he took his time to evaluate his shot and pulled off one of the most miraculous shots I've seen in golf because he doesn't pitch out. That's why he is the best in the world.

How do you want to live your life? Do you want to pitch out and maybe save a stroke on a meaningless disc golf round or do you want to make that shot and have the mindset that I can make difficult shots when the time comes. And if you don't make the shot and end up getting a 7 on a par 3...who cares!

For what it's worth, in my example, that same hole the same day and a different round, I drove to where I was 40' out and went for the birdie putt and had the disc skip off the top of the basket and down the hill behind it which basically is nothing but trees and it took me 3 strokes more to finish the hole.

It always amazes me the spots discs manage to get themselves into that have seemingling no way to get out.

This guy knows what he's talking about. Unless you are in a tournament, you should go for every shot that is possible. If it is impossible, of course your not going to take the shot.

Example: Let's say im 200 from the basket but im in decently thick woods. I have no obvious line to put my disc on except to pitch out and play conservative or there is a small gap that I could make it out of but it's probably only do-able 3 out of ten times. If you don't take the 3 out of 10 risk... you sir are a vagina.

Look at Tiger Woods. If any of you saw the first round of the Masters on Thursday, you might have seen his approach shot on 9. He hooked his ball a little left and was behind a row of trees and had an impossible shot at the green. Basically his only option was to pitch out. But he didn't, he took his time to evaluate his shot and pulled off one of the most miraculous shots I've seen in golf because he doesn't pitch out. That's why he is the best in the world.

How do you want to live your life? Do you want to pitch out and maybe save a stroke on a meaningless disc golf round or do you want to make that shot and have the mindset that I can make difficult shots when the time comes. And if you don't make the shot and end up getting a 7 on a par 3...who cares!

While this appears to be a case against my earlier comments, I think we are agreeing, just not understanding each other.

Tourney Play: score is important, you may have to play a "safe" shot to save par and not risk a 7.

Practice/Casual Play: probably try the 3 in 10 shot, I often do, that's how you learn. Do it enough and 3 in 10 could become 6 in 10.

Tiger Woods: didn't see the shot, but to him, the benefit outweighted the risk, I'm sure. He is at the top of his sport because of his ability to hit the tough shots. That shot was heroic to us, but to him, more routine, it's not his first day...

Technohic's last post about the putt: I was thinking the same thing...I just played a course where 10ft behind the basket, was a drop off that went down about 50 ft. The basket was also elevated about 18" higher than normal. So if I had a 40ft putt, I would probably throw it short, and tap in for par. Why? I have a very slim chance of making the putt to begin with, missing long would result in a high score, and I don't feel like traversing down the slope and getting my disc.

What do you think Ken Climo or Barry Schultz would do? They might go for it, but what do you think their 40ft putt percentage is? 50%? Mine is 10%, which is 1 in 10. Even at 30%, I'd still probably lay it up, or at least aim a touch short.

Depends what your intentions are...what makes the game for you? To each his own...

I don't know about heroic shots per se. If it's clearly a dumb shot, it's a dumb shot. Doesn't mean I won't take it (especially in a casual round), but when it costs me two more to recover I'll remind myself that this was the likely outcome.

Now, a tough shot in a round that counts, on the other hand, takes a little more evaluation. If it's one that I feel confident taking, I'm thinking about how bad the medicine's going to taste if the coin comes up tails. If you can't do the time, don't do the crime, etc.

But if it's a shot I think I ought to be able to make, and have made in a casual or practice round, but haven't made in competition yet, I'll lean towards going for it. I figure that in order to learn the shot in competition, I'll probably have to miss a few first to see what it feels like, so either outcome's okay.

I don't know about heroic shots per se. If it's clearly a dumb shot, it's a dumb shot. Doesn't mean I won't take it (especially in a casual round), but when it costs me two more to recover I'll remind myself that this was the likely outcome.

Now, a tough shot in a round that counts, on the other hand, takes a little more evaluation. If it's one that I feel confident taking, I'm thinking about how bad the medicine's going to taste if the coin comes up tails. If you can't do the time, don't do the crime, etc.

But if it's a shot I think I ought to be able to make, and have made in a casual or practice round, but haven't made in competition yet, I'll lean towards going for it. I figure that in order to learn the shot in competition, I'll probably have to miss a few first to see what it feels like, so either outcome's okay.

Now that's what I call smart golf...

My opinion is that you do not know what high risk/heroic is unless you try them a lot.....and fail at them a lot. I usually play aggressive/heroic in practice/casual rounds and make note of how/why I fail (and work on fixing that if I can). That way when I am "playing the percentages" I have a better understanding of what the percentages really are for me. That said, I have a knack for screwing up the high percentage shots. :doh:

I will try risky shots in casual rounds to see how they will work. That's where experimenting is fun! However in competitive rounds, I'm more casual.

it all depends on what is on the line. If money is on the line I play conservative unless there is only a few holes left and I need to make up ground. generally speaking.... playing conservative gets me more money/ higher finish/ higher tag... etc.. I love going for it but it definitely has a time and place.

I carefully pick my shots as to when I should be heroic. I tend to be a little conservative, but sometimes if I feel like I actually might make a heroic shot and think it might turn out well for me, then I go for it. It is a great feeling when you make those shots like you want.

Under the fence, over the rock, off the barn, nuttin' but chain!

Casual playing, I go for it and learn from my mistakes. Serious playing, consider the mistakes i have made in casual rounds and try the heroic shot based on whether I feel confortable. If I sink it, I have learned what to do and will continue to do it. If I don't sink it, I learn from my mistake. If you aint making mistakes you aint learning.

Thats how I should play but I typically bogey, bird, bogey, miss a putt and double bogey and it can get worse than that depending on what kind of trouble you get into, but I guess that is why I will always be a rec player and little more.

Now there! You just described me perfectly.

I have a buddy who is always gunning for the basket. It usually dosent work out well for him. 9 times out of 10 I will beat him easily but when he does beat me its by like 10 strokes because he is on one of his "on" games. I saw him get a -9 last summer on a course that I have played for 15 years and my best is -6, but he usually averages like +5 on it.

If it's just a casual round, I like to identify & learn new routes/lines to the pin.

If score is being kept, I throw the shot that gives me the best chance of success on each hole:

If I only birdie a hole 2-3 times out of 10, I don't try to "go for it", and force a birdie.
If I birdie a hole 7 or more times out of 10, I'm going for birdie on that hole, regardless of whether or not score is being kept.

Latest posts