• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do you know what Disc Golf lacks?

I believe the PDGA says something along the lines of that within the circle when designing a course that obstructions should be taken into consideration essentially creating what we are considering a "green" even though in reality it isn't and we know there are plenty of baskets that are completely guarded by trees. That just seems to be part of our game.

As for the sand traps I have often thought this would be good as well OR even adjust the rules as sand traps become more prevalent in our game that it must be taken from a standstill/no run up. Essentially the same concept as in ball golf that the club head can't touch the sand prior to swing type thing.

In a different thread not too long ago, Chuck mentioned the idea of allowing TD's to offset the basket's pin location within the 10m circle.

So instead of the basket always being in the center, the TD can shift the circle around to fit the land. I really like this idea.

Here's a sample i whipped up.

attachment.php

Attachments

• offset circle.png
    offset circle.png
    28.5 KB · Views: 187
I've had this dream of building an unlimited funds type of course. You can build elevated tees and greens. My thought is using railroad ties on many holes greens on a 30-45 degree angle which surrounds the green. You disc will then get kicked off and roll/skip if you do not hit the green itself which then places a much greater premium on approach accuracy and difficulty putting. Putting up to an elevated green if you miss.

I like this idea of moving the circle to better fit the hole and add some challenge. I guess the only challenge it would add is where you are able to jump putt from. Could be a 55' putt and no jumping allowed if the circle was moved really far

I like this idea of moving the circle to better fit the hole and add some challenge. I guess the only challenge it would add is where you are able to jump putt from. Could be a 55' putt and no jumping allowed if the circle was moved really far
and falling putts

Are you for realz or is this the trollin' that I've heard so much about? I kinda hope is trollin' because (with all due respect) that is the dumbest thing I've ever heard.
No, I'm not trollin'. Its been established practice on that course as long as its been there. If that's the dumbest thing you've ever heard, then you need to get out more. How is that any dumber than suggesting that you have to establish balance when you're within an arbitrary amount of distance from the basket to simulate that you're on a green? Or roped off OB? Or mandatories? Or a hanging basket? Or one planted in a tree? Or up on a tall pole?

Some of you on this website with your closemindedness, I swear. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I'm generally against artificial OB. To me it's just a bit cheesy, I know many tourneys are going that way. What we need is tougher legit courses that don't need artificial OB for challenge.

Course length I see as the biggest downfall for the majority of courses. Most of these guys can throw 450-500 feet. I'm definitely for 1000 foot holes or 400+ foot par 3's for more open course designs.

I'll tell you what disc golf is not lacking in. A never ending supply of new people who want to change disc golf.

I hope he doesn't mind me quoting him and posting it here.

This idea about adding "greens" in disc golf is revolutionary and would be completely game changing and make "greens" matter.

Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
I'm lobbying the RC and Competition Committee that if a circle is marked, that it is the official line regardless if a player takes out a tape measure to check it. Also, that the circle doesn't have to be circular but could range from 7m to 15m to not only provide shape to our "greens" but to accommodate trees and terrain issues making it difficult to mark at precisely 10m. However, if no marking then 10m circle remains the default.

By having variation to the size and shape of the circle it would be possible to mark "greens" and have some variety that would affect play.

No, I'm not trollin'. Its been established practice on that course as long as its been there. If that's the dumbest thing you've ever heard, then you need to get out more. How is that any dumber than suggesting that you have to establish balance when you're within an arbitrary amount of distance from the basket to simulate that you're on a green? Or roped off OB? Or mandatories? Or a hanging basket? Or one planted in a tree? Or up on a tall pole?

Some of you on this website with your closemindedness, I swear. :rolleyes:

None of that other stuff is dumb. The rule of putting upside down from tall grass intrigued me and I thought you were joking, that's all. It's changing the flight of the disc (which we do all of the time but by our choice) not elevating the basket or creating a mando, seems a lot different to me. I don't mean to offend you by insulting your local course rules. Admittedly, I haven't studied all the rules, is this in the pdga rule book anywhere that this rule is enforced on certain courses or is it a "just for fun thing"? I figured I would have seen a thread in the technique section, "how to putt upside down". Does the disc have to be more than 50% in the tall grass or bunker to putt upside down? Guess we'll just have to disagree. No hard feelings on my end, no reason to call me "close-minded" or say I need to "get out more".

In a different thread not too long ago, Chuck mentioned the idea of allowing TD's to offset the basket's pin location within the 10m circle.

So instead of the basket always being in the center, the TD can shift the circle around to fit the land. I really like this idea.

Here's a sample i whipped up.

attachment.php

The only problem I see with that is that it takes the basket out of the center of a 10Meter circle in which other rules are based off of so you begin to have people bending the rules of jump putting/advancing past the lie of the disc type thing.

This wouldn't happen without the rule changing to indicate players could not fall forward/jump when inside the marked green area.

I think disc golf is lacking standardized teebox areas for every hole on every course. 10' long by 5' wide dug out perfectly level, regardless of the surroundings. No more sloping, tiny pads or teeing off from behind mud puddles that used to be the box for hole 8. I know that (for now) this is unrealistic, but one day I hope we get there. My opinion on this is that the teebox should not be one of the obstacles a hole presents. Rather the tee is the beginning of every hole and the basket is the ending. Everything in between these two points are the challenges to be overcome.

None of that other stuff is dumb. The rule of putting upside down from tall grass intrigued me and I thought you were joking, that's all. It's changing the flight of the disc (which we do all of the time but by our choice) not elevating the basket or creating a mando, seems a lot different to me. I don't mean to offend you by insulting your local course rules. Admittedly, I haven't studied all the rules, is this in the pdga rule book anywhere that this rule is enforced on certain courses or is it a "just for fun thing"? I figured I would have seen a thread in the technique section, "how to putt upside down". Does the disc have to be more than 50% in the tall grass or bunker to putt upside down? Guess we'll just have to disagree. No hard feelings on my end, no reason to call me "close-minded" or say I need to "get out more".

I have played the course Scarp is mentioning. If I remember it is posted at the start. It was an interesting twist to a nice course. Not a pDGA rule, it's a course specific rule.

I think disc golf is lacking standardized teebox areas for every hole on every course. 10' long by 5' wide dug out perfectly level, regardless of the surroundings. No more sloping, tiny pads or teeing off from behind mud puddles that used to be the box for hole 8. I know that (for now) this is unrealistic, but one day I hope we get there. My opinion on this is that the teebox should not be one of the obstacles a hole presents. Rather the tee is the beginning of every hole and the basket is the ending. Everything in between these two points are the challenges to be overcome.

I don't think every tee box on every course needs to be exactly the same, but I do agree they need to be constructed in such a manner that they are safely playable.

what would standardized tee boxes matter anyways? if you watch the memorial and the recent DD tourney at Cedar Hill in TX half the time the pros arent even using the tee boxes and are teeing off in rutted out dirt beside the tee box. For one, I think that is complete BS. If there is a legit concrete tee pad you need to be throwing from it.

It's a terrible rule. We played a tourny last weekend where they put flags 5' off to each side of every box you could tee from. It completely changed(read ruined) many of the holes. To hell with that rule.

Latest posts