• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do you profit from DG?

Do you profit from DG?

• Yes

Votes: 42 17.4%
  • No

Votes: 199 82.6%

• Total voters
Make more money than I have spent in disc golf? Hell no.

More money than I have spent this year? yep. Dollar disc golf auctions is handing over a lot of 9-11x's/protostars for 15.00 or less shipped, turning right around and selling them for profit too. Key is bidding late at night or early in the morning and hoping it doesn't get rebumped.

This thread has motivated me. I am going to try to track my disc golf spending this year. Spreadsheet has been made and this years expenses and money have been logged. I am only going to track PDGA's so it will be interesting to see how it works out. My expense GL's will be Entry fees, Gas, Food/Booze and a Misc. column for anything else that may come up.

I played my first event this weekend, The New Year Ripper, in New Bern N.C. It was a 2 day B-tier about an hour and a half from my house. so me and a buddy car pooled and drove back each night. I drove one day he drove the next. so far here is the breakdown

PDGA Membership - $78.00
Entry Fee - $68.90
Gas $30.00
Food and Booze - $33.37

Total Expenses $210.27

Won my first tournament as a Pro (I play Pro Masters) and got $275.00

Just registered for my next event, the 13th Buckhorn Open $67.84
So at the moment I am in the hole -$3.11. I will take it!!

Hah. Good luck with that. My dad collects an entire season's worth (April-October) of cans from a fairly busy 9 hole (ball) golf course (believe me, golfers know how to drink). The mountain of cans that we pile on the snowmobile trailer is pretty incredible. Every year we get around 700 lbs of cans, worth around $350. Not exactly a way to get rich quick :/

Dude find a different recycler! Your getting screwed! I collect cans almost every round i play and I get $2.05 a lb. It still doesn't even cover a fraction of what I spend on gas but I like to think it pays for my plastic purchases throughout the year. It probably doesn't though.

This thread has motivated me. I am going to try to track my disc golf spending this year. Spreadsheet has been made and this years expenses and money have been logged. I am only going to track PDGA's so it will be interesting to see how it works out. My expense GL's will be Entry fees, Gas, Food/Booze and a Misc. column for anything else that may come up.

I played my first event this weekend, The New Year Ripper, in New Bern N.C. It was a 2 day B-tier about an hour and a half from my house. so me and a buddy car pooled and drove back each night. I drove one day he drove the next. so far here is the breakdown

PDGA Membership - $78.00
Entry Fee - $68.90
Gas $30.00
Food and Booze - $33.37

Total Expenses $210.27

Won my first tournament as a Pro (I play Pro Masters) and got $275.00

Just registered for my next event, the 13th Buckhorn Open $67.84
So at the moment I am in the hole -$3.11. I will take it!!

You can't claim to be in the black if you only count tourney rounds. Disc golf is disc golf and every round comes with expenses. I bet if you added in casual rounds your $3.11 wouldn't last long. Just sayin.

You can't claim to be in the black if you only count tourney rounds. Disc golf is disc golf and every round comes with expenses. I bet if you added in casual rounds your $3.11 wouldn't last long. Just sayin.
apparently you aren't getting what I am saying. I am already in the hole meaning I am down $3.11(negative) So how does a casual round cost me money? I am 3 miles from the only course worth playing in town and I work during the week so I only play on the weekends. I mean if I have to count the $1.00 it takes in gas to drive to and form the course on the weekends I can track that.

Honestly if I tracked casual play, Monthlies and Doubles it would improve me bottom line. I can't remember the last time I didn't cash at a club event. But that does not really matter to me as those expenses are so minuscule I don't find it relevant. It is the sanctioned events that require travel that I am wanting to track monetarily.

Last edited:
I'm guessing at the end of the year I should be about a grand in the hole. I made almost $700.00 last year and could not even guess what I spent. I am thinking at least 3 times that. I am hoping to make a little more money this year. I am hoping some consistency in my game has got to show up at some point.

apparently you aren't getting what I am saying. I am already in the hole meaning I am down $3.11(negative) So how does a casual round cost me money? I am 3 miles from the only course worth playing in town and I work during the week so I only play on the weekends. I mean if I have to count the $1.00 it takes in gas to drive to and form the course on the weekends I can track that.

Honestly if I tracked casual play, Monthlies and Doubles it would improve me bottom line. I can't remember the last time I didn't cash at a club event. But that does not really matter to me as those expenses are so minuscule I don't find it relevant. It is the sanctioned events that require travel that I am wanting to track monetarily.

I guess I just assumed that everybody travels 50 miles or more 3-4 times a week to play like I do. There's just too many good courses in socal. I wish I had one a mile from my house. Also, I agree that most people are probably lying or at least not factoring in all their dg expenses.

Last edited:
I guess I just assumed that everybody travels 50 miles or more 3-4 times a week to play like I do. There's just too many good courses in socal. I wish I had one a mile from my house. Also, I agree that most people are probably lying or at least not factoring in all their dg expenses.
man do I wish I had the time to do this. and the down side to being at the Beach in NC is I have to drive and hour and a half plus to reach the premiere courses. inside of an hour only gets me to literally 5 courses and 3 of those 5 are a complete waist of time.

I make enough doing dyes and trophies and such to cover most of my tournament entries. But I don't even come close to getting paid for the time it takes me to do those things. Fortunately I do that stuff for the enjoyment it brings, not the profit it brings.