• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do you profit from DG?

Do you profit from DG?

• Yes

Votes: 42 17.4%
  • No

Votes: 199 82.6%

• Total voters
I would think the answer really depends on what kind of golfer you are. If you don't play tournaments, just play casually and all you have to do is sell some discs on the side to afford to buy new ones then you could profit

If you like competition, play pro, but only play your club monthlies, doubles and travel locally to attend other club monthlies/doubles then if you are good enough you could make literally a buck or two here and there after entry fee, food and gas

But if you like playing tournaments and play more than 4 or 5 events a year then Disc Golf is probably an expense. when you factor in $60+ entry fees, gas food and or lodging breaking even is a great thing. and if you don't win that is probably what you are doing...breaking even. Very few people in the state of NC are making money on Disc Golf. and when I say very few I am guessing less than 20 in the entire state. and the bottom 5 or 10 are probably making less than a couple hundred bucks a year...maybe.

If we're not talking financially, then I would hope everyone here would at least be breaking even or much better participating in disc golf in any way. Otherwise, why do it? Even TDs, many who lose money but mostly time, continue to do it. If you're not getting sufficient satisfaction (profit), why do it? Presumably it's free will to participate at whatever level you choose (although we nod knowingly at the unfortunate side effects of disc addiction that grabs many in this sport).

Sometimes its not all about money.

I've really cut down the amount of travelling and tourneys and disc buying the last few years.
Stil haven't broken even. Not even close.
Who cares?
I have the excercise, the challenge, the buddies and good times.

Sometimes its not all about the money.

No, and don't intend to.

My company will be selling some discs, with the intention of growing our brand and the sport, but "profits" will be diverted to sponsorships, etc.

da1fba06-00bc-457b-9a68-f0ab6fa03130.jpg

I try to break even (financially), but that doesn't happen. Being able to travel across the country with my wife/friends and play courses/tournaments/leagues/meet cool people is where I profit.

Financially I would say I'm more or less like a drug dealer in college.......I have the potential to profit/break even, but I pinch from my stash too often for that to happen.:|

Do I profit from DG?

I doooo Biologically, Psychologically, Socially, and Spiritually gain from DG!

Do I Monetarily profit from DG?

Does a 10% discount ay DGCenter count? :D

If I could give advice to an 18-year old, it would be to make enough money at something so that you can do all the things you like, which are usually unprofitable.

I work in finance. I spend my days analyzing profits, and I enjoy it. But I daydream about disc golf, something I'll never profit at it. I don't need to.

I like drinking craft beer. I just finished a Dogfish 90 Minute. I may open a Jack's Abbey Smoke and Dagger after this. It's my way to relax. I don't profit from it.

I like playing poker. I'm going to play some tomorrow (great for the days when it's too cold and snowy to play disc golf). I've kept records, and I'm slightly unprofitable. I'd like to turn that around, but unlike people I knew who turned their hobby into a job, I don't have to.

My girlfriend and I like movies. I've seen 8 of the 10 Best Picture nominees. I don't profit from it.

I work a healthy number of hours during the week. In addition to paying for my basic needs, it's to pay for the trips to Highbridge and Colorado and Portland in the summers, and so I can spend my weekend staring at the pond on Maple Hill hole 1 and wondering if that crosswind will help me or hurt me. When I'm there, the last thing on my mind is profits.

In a year and a half I've probably poured $6,000-$7,000 into the game - mostly on a trip to Am Worlds with my son and wife - and as an Am I've never taken cash at a tourney but have won a few hundred at dubs and friendly bets with other players. What the game has given me in return has been priceless and I feel my investment has been returned many times over.

I do dream a bit on long 12-13 hour days at work......about pooling some investors together and building 2-3 Championship courses (1 free and 2 pay to play) and setting up a pro shop, instructors, youth, family, and senior leagues and trying to build a market for the game in our area. Maybe bring a couple of A-Tiers and hopefully one day an NT event to the area. I worry about turning my passion for the game into a business and ruining the magic that I get from it.

I have often wondered how Jeremy Rusco (Dynamic Discs) feels about turning his love for DG into a business.

Quite a few people who run DG shops and businesses can play, compete, and still (hopefully) make some income. I don't know how much Rico makes but he amazes me how well he has stayed in the top of the Open division for so long. Jim Oates is another.

I'm pretty sure jim is burnt out on disc golf. At least the competitive part for sure. And I think he's tired of running the shop too. But everyone gets tired of their job at some point, even if your job is a pro sport.

well, utility wise, yes.

do i come out ahead dollars-wise? no. and most of the expense is gas.

but i would say that the psychic utility i gain, in happiness, etc, far outweighs that, so yes, i profit from disc golf overall. not every day that i play. but overall

Not only do I not make money, I constantly lose money, be it through buying totally unnecessary new plastic and all things related out of impulse or addiction or what have you, to driving stupid ass distances to play in tournaments that I can't afford nor do well in(yet somehow still enjoy), to NOT spending days in the shop working at making money because I'm off playing disc golf. Having said this: I'm off to play a round before I have to knuckle down and get to work.

If we're not talking financially, then I would hope everyone here would at least be breaking even or much better participating in disc golf in any way. Otherwise, why do it? Even TDs, many who lose money but mostly time, continue to do it. If you're not getting sufficient satisfaction (profit), why do it? Presumably it's free will to participate at whatever level you choose (although we nod knowingly at the unfortunate side effects of disc addiction that grabs many in this sport).
I'd like to say I'm getting something out of disc golf from an organizing standpoint, but there is so much frustration in trying to work with landowners, set up events within their restrictions and then listen to players bitch that we can't pay out huge sums like they want do to those restrictions that it really burns me out. I really hate going to my events now.

So financially I lose and as a promoter I lose. I still get to go out sometimes and play. Especially when I get to play alone with no one harping on me about some tournament or league that they are not happy with, there is a simple enjoyment of watching plastic fly through the air. So far that has been enough.

I'm actually pretty glad I stumbled on this sport. I pull a hamstring every time I try to play softball, my knees are too shot to play basketball, golf is too expensive and I hate tennis. Even though there are shots like thumbers I can't throw anymore and I get worse at it every year, disc golf is something I can still do and enjoy as a player even though I'm pushing 50.