• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Do you stay away from the latest and greatest discs?

Ive recently had an urge to Buy 18 prodigy discs and try a full bag of their stuff :doh: . I cant explain why but i need to do it come tax season

I try too many new molds...but there's so many out there, and I'm SURE one of them is the holy grail and will cut 8-10 shots off my rounds.

With that said, the bag is pretty set...but I did just get a Rival and PD the other day....

pd will shave off probably 18 strokes a round. swear its a basket magnet

The most dependable discs in my bag are DX/KCPro/base plastic - Wizard, Ringer, Rocs, Leopards, Teebirds; plus an opto Pure for the driving putter. Faster discs are Star Beast, and a Blizzard Wraith when I need to throw farther than I can. I'm testing a DX Valkyrie to see if it will replace the Pro.

I have enough discs from multiple manufacturers in base to premium plastics to open a store, but I seem to be evolving (regressing?) back to the basics because I prefer the flight and feel.

Also, I drive a Tundra but would have no problem with a Model T for around town.

I don't intentionally stay away from the latest and greatest, but I tend to stick to what's been in my bag and worked for me for years. I will occasionally try out some of the new high speed stuff when I have the opportunity because there's always a chance it will increase my potential max distance by a little bit over my current max disc. But my bag is solid and unchanging for any shots under about 375. Why try the new stuff when I've got something that works perfectly well?

I love trying new discs. I have everything MVP has put out and love most every one of them. I've started buying Westside discs and I really like them especially the King, that baby is fast and flies forever. But everyone is different, discs fly different for each person based on their throwing style. I throw a mix of backhand and FH so therefore I have to have different discs. I like checking out other manufacturers to see if I can find something that gives me just a bit more control or distance.

To me, half the fun of DG is trying out new stuff.

Having said that, it's important to remember that it's all about playing, not collecting (in general). So whatever works, makes the bag. But it sure is fun to try out the latest and greatest.

3 of the best/most reliable discs I have were bought/ tried on a whim. I very rarely go out and buy new discs I usually just throw discs my buddies have and see whether I like them or i trade .

To me, half the fun of DG is trying out new stuff.

Having said that, it's important to remember that it's all about playing, not collecting (in general). So whatever works, makes the bag. But it sure is fun to try out the latest and greatest.

Me too. It's gotten to the point where I feel I have tried most of what I have wanted to try, and now am a lot more selective about trying/buying new discs. It is fun to be pleasantly surprised by the flight of disc you've never tried before.

I want to replace some of my expensive hard to get discs with some easier to find new stuff.

I want to replace

Mcpro aviar with Nova
CE Teebird T with Champ Tl
11x Teebirds with 12x JL teebirds, ETC.

I also sometimes find stuff for slots i didn't know i wanted, for example i just recently bought a dx cobra and have been seasoning it, i've been throwing it LHBH anhyzer on RHBH hyzer routes and finding alot of success, it turns over and glides sideways perfectly.

Recently bought a Star Tern to see if it could be a beat Destroyer (Since i didn't want to bother paying or searching for another) and it seems to be working the way i had intended. New discs are great , and it's always nice to have something to spend your money on.

I try too many new molds...but there's so many out there, and I'm SURE one of them is the holy grail and will cut 8-10 shots off my rounds.

With that said, the bag is pretty set...but I did just get a Rival and PD the other day....

Those PDs are just awful. You should send it to me and I'll get rid of it for you. Don't even bother trying it. :)

I'm not afraid to take a chance on the next latest and greatest. There's been many more losers than keepers but there's been a few new releases that have saved me strokes this past year like the Judge, D1, Trespass, and PA1.

I can tell you ken climo and barry Schultz haven't changed there discs for a while. With that said I wouldn't be able to play golf without a destroyer or some other high speed disc. There needed for my game

no one called you out huh? surprised. Schultz probably hasn't, but Climo definitely has, watch his in the bag video of recent he has disc in there that have been out less than 2 years.

Did you guys think the newer discs delivered? Did you gain distance when you stopped using a valk or teebird as a max d driver and moved onto discs like bosses and katanas?

Yes, but I never stopped using a Valk or a Teebird for other shots. Why would I?

"My stragedy wasnt to be the best it was to make the least mistakes." Huh? By best, do you mean throw the farthest? Cause generally new or old discs the player making the least mistakes is probably the best one.

What you feel comfortable with is going to be the best. There's no super change in the technology, so I'd guess a disc you've gotten use to playing with over 12 years will serve you better than one you've only used for a short time but over the long haul it could be better, the same or worse.

The thing is, if every driver on the face of the earth disappeared except for the Groove, we'd learn to play with that.

A little of the new and a lot of the old for me. No European discs, no Prodigy, very little MVP, and none of it newer than 2 years old. No DD. No Vibram either. But I do have a Crank, Atlas, & Nova in my bag.

Why is it that it seems like the only people that appreciate baseline plastics (Zero Line, DX, Pro D, etc) have all been throwing for SEVERAL years? Hmm......

Latest posts