• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Does anyone else grip the disc like they're flipping someone off??

aphilso1

Double Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
I grip the disc differently than anyone else I know. For pretty much all backhand shots, I grip the disc like a power grip but with my middle finger extended along the flight plate. Basically, it looks like I'm flippin' the bird while holding my disc.

1. Do any of my fellow DGCRs grip the disc this way?
2. Do you know of any touring pros that do this?

I sometimes putt this way with middle finger out as well as thumb on top if I am having trouble keeping disc level when putting, this is caused by having really small hands.

I use this (I've heard it called a "birdie" grip) on all putter drives/approaches, a lot of my midrange throws, and occasionally on a fairway driver.

Seppo says he uses it on the majority of his shots:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_QMc9NySW8

Oh man, Seppo is one of my faves and I had no idea he also gripped like that. I'd never heard it called a birdie grip, but now I know what to call it so thanks!

I used to do something similar, but both middle and ring fingers were extended, with index and pinky tight to the inner rim.

That was the last intermediate step in transitioning my old catch/ultimate backhand grip towards a traditional disc golf power grip.

I used to do something similar, but both middle and ring fingers were extended, with index and pinky tight to the inner rim.

That was the last intermediate step in transitioning my old catch/ultimate backhand grip towards a traditional disc golf power grip.

I used that for a while when I was trying to learn a power grip on mids and putters. I eventually transitioned away from it but if I'm honest don't throw any better or worse now.

Sounds right. It's just about what feels comfortable in your hand. Confidence and reliability do a heck of a lot more to improve throws than most minor grip changes.

I do for putters and mids, started a few days ago and have much more control. Don't for my drivers because my hands are smaller and the rip point comes off my middle finger with their wider rims.

The "birdie" grip is my preferred grip for midrange and putters.. So much so that I need to remember when it's time to power grip.. You lose power with the birdie but gain control, largely on the release angle of the disc but can't impart as much spin on it. Started using it as my "Comet" grip about 10 years ago.

I use tight stack with my fingers it's less dramatic than some birdie grips, it's basically a power grip minus the middle finger. Helps keep nose down and gives my thumb an opposing finger to grip the disc better.

Last edited:
I use tight stack with my fingers it's less dramatic than some birdie grips, it's basically a power grip minus the middle finger. Helps keep nose down and gives my thumb an opposing finger to grip the disc better.

My thoughts exactly. And I actually don't even lose any distance compared to a power grip on discs roughly speed 11 and down. 12 and up though and I get more snap/spin with a full power grip.

I don't know if I'd go quite that far.. I definitely lose power and in some cases the ability to get enough spin for a long and proper flight with the birdie but if I'm not near my 90 percent power needed then I'm good with it. Works especially well on mids and putters and light fairways.

I love getting my thumb just in front of the middle finger I actually make divots if I grip in the same spot too often.. Like the "z" on a Comet.

Latest posts