• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Does anyone ever return discs?

Honestly I find it hard to believe that anyone would keep a disc that has someone's name on it. OK if you try to call or whatnot and get no response, that's how it goes....but to just keep any disc you find? I, for one, never give u peasily on a disc...but sometimes they just get away from you and do goofy things like hit trees or roll....making a call is just the cool thing to do. That being said, if you find a disc with no name or marking....sometimes I'll ask some people I see on the course as I'm playing if they lost a disc, but if not I definately keep those.

Up until recently I never thought leaving my name and number on the back of a disc worked. But twice in the same day I recieved calls about discs I had lost. From now on if I find a disc Im calling them. If I dont here anything back Ill keep it for a while and then use it.

I understand why ideally people would give them back, but I just don't see it as worth my time.

Doing the right thing isnt a waste of time. Theres lot of things that are the "easier" way to do things every day in life, but we dont because we know the difference between right and wrong.

It continually shocks me that members come on here justifying in all kids of different ways why its ok for them to steal. Even my 5 year old son knows that stealing is wrong.

hence, "everything you need to know in life, you learned in kindergarten."..maybe i'm old?...maybe today's generation thinks it's ok to keep things that arent theirs...pretty sad and pathetic

out of the discs in my bag that i use, 1 is found. It has a name on it, Aaron C. How many people are named aaron with the last name of C? He also left it out in the middle of a frozen pond which I was adventerous enough to go out on the ice and get it. The discs I find are usually DX and go into a basket in my car. I use them to throw over water or to give to new people playing. I'll give you an example.

I was playing a round the other day and came across a man and his son, they were just starting and also sharing discs. They mostly had drivers of 168+, with one putter and no midrange. The kid was about 9 and couldn't handle the disc weight. I finished the round with them, giving tips, and at the end I reached my hand into my basket of leftovers, some found and some bought. I gave the guy and his son an EliteZ buzzz i found and a beat in DX(discraft for dx?) Discraft XL that was 150 class for the kid.

As for your car analogy. I would have to look into further as it's been a while since I was told this, but if you leave your keys in the ignition of the car and someone takes it, you are liable and insurance can choose not to refund your loss.

If I leave a disc, it's anybodys to find. I have been known to look for an hour and a half, until it gets dark, then wake up really early before work and go looking for it again until I find it.
just because you give away some discs doesnt make it ok. If I leave a disc its because I couldnt find and ran out of time to look. I will be back for my property that I work hard every day to have the money to buy. If you find my LOST (not LEFT) piece of property which I have clearly marked with all my contact info than you should do the right thing and let me or the police know. Not decide it somehow belongs to you.

I found a CE Valk at my home course a few years ago, and there was 4 or 5 names and numbers written on it, none of them crossed out to reflect the current/last owner. In the bag it went, since I wasn't going to call all of them and risk handing it over to the wrong person. If it was that valuable to the previous owner, I thought, they'd have crossed out the other names. Well, I couldn't throw the thing for crap, and I'm not a disc collector (I know some of you out there would trade prized possessions for a CE Valk!), so I traded it for 2 Champ and 1 Star. Turns out that the guy I traded it to had ridden out to the course with his stepson and friend, and the last owner was one of these kids. He saw the very end of our trade, remarked on how he'd lost it, verified what hole I'd found it on, and the guy I traded it to just laughed at him and said he should've crossed out the other names since I had no clue who to call (and had every intention of doing so).

Agreed. I've called on every other disc I've found, though only a few have wanted their disc back. I had a custom-dyed Wraith a few years back, lost it, and several months later saw a VERY familiar pattern in my friend's disc bag. "Can I check out that disc?" I asked. He pulled it out, and sure enough it was the same custom design! I turned it over, and there was my name and number. "This is mine!" I exclaimed. He remarked how some kid had traded it to him for 2 of his discs, and when he asked if they'd called the number, the kid told him that he'd called and left a message and never got a return call. That was BS (not the guy currently possessing my disc; the kid who traded it), 'cause I checked my voice mails daily waiting for that disc to pop up somewhere, and no such message existed. Anyways, he wouldn't part with it since it had cost him 2 valuable discs, and it turned out to be his #1 go-to driver, and my wife even offered to buy it from him for exactly what I'd paid for it ($35), and he adamantly refused. I had no choice but to give up trying to reclaim it, 'cause I'm not a fighter and don't even like arguing, so I just said f--- it and moved on.

NW Peeps

Before I moved to Washington I never got a call on a lost disc...

Since being in Seattle I have been called on every disc that I have lost, and recovered one, going to meet someone soon for one, and just never got around to meeting another dude for one....funny thing is...I got a second call on that one from a guy in Portland....I told him to keep it for the hassle...

On my home course I lost one today....I think wood gnomes stole it because it disappeared....but I am sure I will get a call. I also found two today...champion boss and a CE Eagle...we have a drop box at our course so I call first then drop it if I get a voicemail or the owner requests...dropped the Eagle and the cat with the boss came out to the course and met me...

The wheel goes 'round my friends...

hence, "everything you need to know in life, you learned in kindergarten."..maybe i'm old?...maybe today's generation thinks it's ok to keep things that arent theirs...pretty sad and pathetic

Whoa... 80played and I agree on something.

I am all about giving people there discs back, but what if you find them in the water? I have found a few in the water, while looking for my own, I don't think there were numbers on any of them but even if there were I don't think I would call in that situation.

I am all about giving people there discs back, but what if you find them in the water? I have found a few in the water, while looking for my own, I don't think there were numbers on any of them but even if there were I don't think I would call in that situation.
So you find "Joe's" disc in the grass you call the number on the back, but if you find "John's" disc six feet away from Joe's in six inches of water you keep it? :confused:

we have a pond on my "home course" in dryden and i went wading the other day and pulled out a dozen...one was mine, 3 were regulars, 6 had names and numbers and the other 2 were blank(these i feel are fair game, but i would gladly hand them over if someone was missing it and described it)..called everyone and only one guy wanted his disc back and he was an hour from me(left voice mails on a few and one guy was in s.c. and said keep it)..i already donated the 2 blanks to a league..long story short...i give 'em back regardless of where i find them..you would want your #1 go-to driver back that you have had for years right? i forked over a 12 pack for my 7 year old putter last year..

The thing about discs is that that do develop a personality and history.

It's very wierd. And hard to describe.....but they do.

New players don't really have the experience to actually feel this way about a disc......i.e. that it ( the disc) has had a life. Like finding somebodies dog and not acknowledging it may have an idea or two about how things should work.

I ALWAYS return discs. If I know the person and they live close, I will either hand deliver or mail it. If I don't know the person, I will call them and mail it to them. It only costs a couple of bucks, if that. But for some reason, I've only had one stranger return one of my discs and I've been playing over 10 years. My local friend players will always return my lost discs. Do the right thing, give 'em back their discs.