• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Does anyone ever return discs?

I found a nearly brand new T-Rex last week. Orange and off the fairway, but in the open and clearly visible to my sad eyes from over 60 feet away. There's nobody in front or back of me. I'm mystified....how could anybody lose this disc.

I should mention that the T-rex is my main driver and adding a back up to my back up sounds kinda appealing.

I call the phone # on the back. I text message the # on the back. I call again. And yet again. A week and half passes and no return call. The answering service confirms the name on the back.

How long should I wait before I start breakin this yummy chunk of Star Plastic in as my own?

i wait a month...kinda long but i would hope soemone would do the same for me and not sell it...throwing it would be ok in my book..i have a box full of found plastic and i give em away eventually or use em for backups

I'll be honest and say I don't call back. But my philosophy is that if you leave the disc at the course, it's fair game. I do not put my name on the back of mine, I put a symbol that is on all my discs so that someone can't just walk off with it on a blind shot and claim it's theirs (which I've had happen). I keep to the same rule though if mine is found by someone else. On my local course I lost a champion beast, and probably two months later was playing with a guy and he pulls it out, said he found it (he noticed the symbol on my discs) and had been using it for about two weeks. He offered to just give it back, but since I walked off, it was now his. So I offered to trade him a disc for it, he went through a couple I was willing to trade to get my favorite disc back, and settled upon a discraft flash elitez. We traded and all was good :)

i wait a month...kinda long but i would hope soemone would do the same for me and not sell it...throwing it would be ok in my book..i have a box full of found plastic and i give em away eventually or use em for backups

A month seems reasonable. It's just so ORANGE and easily visible to my lousy eyes...I'll keep calling.

My eyes are so bad. I lost a purple Omega SS yesterday for 50 minutes. I looked where it should have landed. To the right and in the schule, but not bad schule and definately not in the thick bush behind the schule.
Group of 3 comes to the tee and I wave them thru and continue looking.
Nother group of 2 comes to the tee and I wave them thru and keep looking.
Finally, a young dude and a hippy disc gal appear on the tee and I wave them thru and resume looking.

The chic gets about 40 feet from the basket, right in front and in the open and calls over to me. " Did you lose a disc?" "Yes." "What color?" "Purple." "It's right here."

Sheesh.:eek:

I always try to mark my discs. While I can't say that I've ever found a marked disc, I have had, on two occasions, people find my discs and either meet up and give them to me or mail them to me after I sent them a couple of bucks for shipping.
That being said, if I ever find a marked disc I will definately try to get it back to the owner...it's just the cool thing to do.

If there is a name on the back obviously I call. If I don't get in answer in say 2 weeks I just keep it, though I never feel right throwing disc I find in case I run into the person so I normal give them away. If there is no name on it I will let some guys in the local club know and thats about it.

I've only been called two lost disc. One was before a tournament throwing on a long blind hole. I thought I had lost it but apparently this guys that was at his first tournament picked it up and called me lol. Another time was I lost one when I was vacationing in Wyoming. Needless to say when I got the call a good 3 months later I just told them to keep it.

I'll be honest and say I don't call back. But my philosophy is that if you leave the disc at the course, it's fair game.

I'm with you on that. If somebody comes up to me and says I have their disc, I'll gladly give it back, but I don't put names on my discs, or symbols for that matter (though I do like the idea of doing that). The way I see it, if they really want it, they'll look till they find it. When I put one deep in the woods I'll look till I find it (I have spent over over 45 minutes looking for a single disc multiple times). When I walk away without finding it up I've acknowledged that its gone and that I'll have to replace it. When they leave a disc, they're doing the same thing.

I'll be honest and say I don't call back.)

Thats WEAK! You have never thrown a bunch of discs on one hole only to forget one on the ground? Maybe walk a couple of holes and go, "oh yea my _____ disc I left on _ Ill be right back". Only to find your weak arse holding my disc w/no intention to give it back. May you lose all your discs.:confused::mad::mad:

Give em a call..... No awnser .... Leave a message...... No return..... I say its yours give a couple days though

Thats WEAK! You have never thrown a bunch of discs on one hole only to forget one on the ground? Maybe walk a couple of holes and go, "oh yea my _____ disc I left on _ Ill be right back". Only to find your weak arse holding my disc w/no intention to give it back. May you lose all your discs.:confused::mad::mad:

That is different and I give it back. I just don't call people or look people up (only found two discs with numbers, one had a number crossed out and a new number written on it- however, have found plenty with names only). I've given plenty of discs back if I meet people on the course, I will also gladly spend half an hour or so to look for a disc with someone. But as I said, if you leave the course, then it's fair game.

i just don't get it..why would you keep something that isn't yours? because you found it?...suppose i find the keys to your car in the ignition..to me thats lame as hell and im glad we dont have anyone like you around here

The guy in MD whose shark we found in GA mailed us a card and $5. We didn't ask for anything but since shipping is $4.95 now it was welcomed.

i just don't get it..why would you keep something that isn't yours? because you found it?...suppose i find the keys to your car in the ignition..to me thats lame as hell and im glad we dont have anyone like you around here

First off, I'm sure you do have people like him around. I highly doubt that the majority of discs found in your area end up back in the original owner's possession.

And with the comparison you made, if you saw car keys in somebody's ignition, do you figure out who the owner is and call them?

Lost one..haven't gotten it back..had my name and #. Someone probably stole it from me I'm guessing.

you are making assumptions but that's cool..not the disc golf mecca here so i have had EVERY disc returned to me(excpet the ones at the boottom of a lake) the keys in the car thing was a crappy analogy, sorry...but still i don't get keeping things that aren't yours...check out the book, "everything you need to know in life you learned in kindergarten"

you are making assumptions but that's cool..not the disc golf mecca here so i have had EVERY disc returned to me(excpet the ones at the boottom of a lake) the keys in the car thing was a crappy analogy, sorry...but still i don't get keeping things that aren't yours...check out the book, "everything you need to know in life you learned in kindergarten"

I understand why ideally people would give them back, but I just don't see it as worth my time. I don't usually keep ones I find either, I buy the discs I want to throw. I'll usually give them to somebody to use that is just starting. I figure its easier for me, the person is at no more of a loss than when they walked off the course, and somebody new is introduced to the sport.

And yes, I knew what you were getting at with the car thing...I just have a tendency to argue minor details...

EDIT: Keep in mind that the majority of discs found (for me anyways) are DX and usually pretty beaten/old. If it were a champion, star, elite-z, etc I would probably consider giving the person a call...IF there number was on it.

sall good man...sick of arguing on here over petty bullchit...you must have money to afford replacements, i don't..escpecially if it is one i have had for a decade and my game suffers without it..

I don't have the money to always replace a disc as well and if is one my game will suffer without I don't give up easily on trying to find it. I have one disc in particular that my wife bought me. I lost it and that disc meant quite a lot to me. I gave up on it after looking for 30 mins and finished my round. I came back to the spot where I lost it and found in about 5 mins.

out of the discs in my bag that i use, 1 is found. It has a name on it, Aaron C. How many people are named aaron with the last name of C? He also left it out in the middle of a frozen pond which I was adventerous enough to go out on the ice and get it. The discs I find are usually DX and go into a basket in my car. I use them to throw over water or to give to new people playing. I'll give you an example.

I was playing a round the other day and came across a man and his son, they were just starting and also sharing discs. They mostly had drivers of 168+, with one putter and no midrange. The kid was about 9 and couldn't handle the disc weight. I finished the round with them, giving tips, and at the end I reached my hand into my basket of leftovers, some found and some bought. I gave the guy and his son an EliteZ buzzz i found and a beat in DX(discraft for dx?) Discraft XL that was 150 class for the kid.

As for your car analogy. I would have to look into further as it's been a while since I was told this, but if you leave your keys in the ignition of the car and someone takes it, you are liable and insurance can choose not to refund your loss.

If I leave a disc, it's anybodys to find. I have been known to look for an hour and a half, until it gets dark, then wake up really early before work and go looking for it again until I find it.

Latest posts