• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Does size matter?

juju

Double Eagle Member
Extremely well designed course that has average length of 225' vs mediocre designed course with average length of 350'

Which would you rather play on?

The correct answer is C, the course with the average hole length of 650, wide open with maybe 100 trees on the entire 18 hole layout. 98% flatland, with the other 2% making top of the hill shots shooting down with the pin 1000+ ft away. This is a world class course to Jenkins

I'd want to play the shorter and better course. Not that the local courses here are huge and long but I would like to play a nice course that I can take a few putters and mids and just have fun shaping lines with those.

Yes, it matters, but long, uninteresting holes are just that... uninteresting. Gimme a well designed course every time, regardless of length - long, short, whatever... they're more interesting and fun to play. That said, most good designers mix in at least a few longer holes where possible to help give the course some balance.

And why do things have to be mutually exclusive? For me to give a course a rating of 4.0, it needs decent design and at least a few relatively long holes, not merely one or the other...

Last edited:
Extremely well designed course that has average length of 225' vs mediocre designed course with average length of 350'

A somewhat decent course that is the hybrid of the two. While I'd like the quality of the better shorter design, the only way that I can imagine a well designed course that short is that it has massive amounts of trees, elevation, water hazards or artificial OB, and while that's challenging, it gets a bit tiresome to trudge from one bad lie to another hole after hole.

I do want to point out while the floor is open, that no matter how well (or badly) a course is designed, there's a lot of ways that over nine, much less 18 holes its distance can arrive at average length of X'. God knows I've played a lot of courses where the majority of holes were much shorter than the average length would suggest, but had 1-2 super long outlier holes. This course comes to mind. The average distance is 402'. Take away the last two holes, it drops to 336'.

I do want to point out while the floor is open, that no matter how well (or badly) a course is designed, there's a lot of ways that over nine, much less 18 holes its distance can arrive at average length of X'. God knows I've played a lot of courses where the majority of holes were much shorter than the average length would suggest, but had 1-2 super long outlier holes. This course comes to mind. The average distance is 402'. Take away the last two holes, it drops to 336'.
excellent point

A somewhat decent course that is the hybrid of the two. While I'd like the quality of the better shorter design, the only way that I can imagine a well designed course that short is that it has massive amounts of trees, elevation, water hazards or artificial OB, and while that's challenging, it gets a bit tiresome to trudge from one bad lie to another hole after hole.

i agree with the average distance and the point about what may essentially be a spray and pray course (i'd throw lots of OH rollers :p) - i just think that 225' is a little ridiculously short to even benefit much from a couple super long ones unless it was a 9-holer . . . i may be mistaken, of course. i'd still like the okay course. :) i live by courses i consider "okay" but i may be spoiled and they may actually be pretty darn good.

Given the choice between the two options in the OP I would rather play the short well designed course for sure. I don't have a big arm so I tend to favor shorter, tighter more technical courses over long open courses anyway.

Does Size Matter?

Lets ask Ron Jeremy...:D

Gotta go with the better/shorter course. As an example, my buds and I usually play Rooster Rock East vs. RR West, 'cause we've all shot under on the West, but still trying to get par on the East. Though some might question whether #3 East is actually designed at all...:rolleyes:

wouldn't a well designed course have longer holes than 225? either way your still throwing short putter throws or spike hyzers.. not sure enough difficulty could be added to make that interesting.. but that's just me.

Yes, it matters, but long, uninteresting holes are just that... uninteresting. Gimme a well designed course every time, regardless of length - long, short, whatever... they're more interesting and fun to play. That said, most good designers mix in at least a few longer holes where possible to help give the course some balance.

And why do things have to be mutually exclusive? For me to give a course a rating of 4.0, it needs decent design and at least a few relatively long holes, not merely one or the other...

I agree with the 2nd paragraph. On the opinion of which I would find more enjoyable, probably the longer. I can't stand just throwing putters in DG. The courses closest to me are like that, and I rarely play those. I've played the course in my town exactly twice in the last 8 months, and one of those was an ace race event.

wouldn't a well designed course have longer holes than 225? either way your still throwing short putter throws or spike hyzers.. not sure enough difficulty could be added to make that interesting.. but that's just me.

I'd say no. Distance isn't a product of good design. It's usually a product of what kind of terrain the course has to work with. If there's a limited amount of land to work with, no design in the world can squeeze out length that just isn't there. But a well-designed course is still very possible.

I'd rather play the shorter, well-designed course because as has been pointed out, well-designed means challenging. Challenging = fun. Even if you never have to pull out a driver once.

Depends on what I want to do. For instance, I have never really played in the snow so I am planning on starting on a shorter course. If I enjoy I will step up to a longer course.

Sometimes I need to work on shot shaping; sometimes I need to work on distance. In general, I would probably choose the shorter, more interesting course.

If there was only one withing 200 miles, I would want to be able to air it out once in a while. I can always throw my putter on a second shot. One without the other is an awful choice, I want both. I am entitled to have both. I work hard, don't swear, eat right, exercise, go to church, treat people right, don't drink and don't smoke. I demand both, YOU OWE ME......

I'm just going to quote Scarpfish here, because it was so well put. :clap:

Given that most courses are limited by the land they occupy, the real question is: Would you rather play on 18 holes with an average length of 225', or about 10 to 13 holes with an average length of 350'?

I was about to say longer untill I thought of Cache La Poudre Jr. High DGC in La Porte just outside of Fort Collins. The longest hole on the course is 250' with the average around 175' (9holes but have never thrown it less than twice) but every hole is different and it is truly a blast to play. That being said it is usually second stop for DG in the area and almost always spend some time in the adjacent football field throwing field goals. Im with Steve West in that I would rather have fewer holes with some decent distance. This course blows away one of our local 9s that has a much longer average length with a 940' beast mixed into mostly 250'ish holes

Last edited:

Latest posts