• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Doubles Ace Pot Etiquette

Not only should you share the ace pot, you should share your paycheck, your car, house, wife, health insurance, lottery ticket etc. Otherwise your just a d***

Not only should you share the ace pot, you should share your paycheck, your car, house, wife, health insurance, lottery ticket etc. Otherwise your just a d***

Yeah, because your over the top facetiousness really utilizes accurate comparisons. Cash earned from best shot doubles is definitely the same thing as your career, your vehicle, your house, etc.

In my experience the guys who don't like to split are usually scrubs who don't win very often.

Yeah, because your over the top facetiousness really utilizes accurate comparisons. Cash earned from best shot doubles is definitely the same thing as your career, your vehicle, your house, etc.

In my experience the guys who don't like to split are usually scrubs who don't win very often.

Wow. Judgmental much?

Well, I guess I can finally chime in.

My doubles partner and I just started playing January, and he just got his first ace Saturday (first between both of us) with his Big Z Buzzz. Needless to say, I did not feel like I deserved any credit for it, and was extremely happy for him. Ace Pot is all his!

I always mention it when the round starts, to make sure we're on the same page. Personally I like to split it. But if my partner says "no thanks" then it's no big deal.

One thing this thread made me realize is that I've never split CTP winnings. It's weird that I normally split aces but not CTP's.

How about the other side of the argument...

If my partner got an ace, I would not feel like I deserved half. I would tell him to keep it. He shot it...it's one throw. I had zero things to do with that. It's his/her accomplishment. I would feel guilty if I took any money for their single throw personal accomplishment. In the same way, I would feel very surprised if someone thought they deserved money for my personal ace. I still benefit from their ace in that our team score is much better (or we earn a skin right there).

Doubles money for the round though, is a team thing (as much as you can have team play in disc golf) where hopefully both partners' shots are taken close to 50:50 (or at least better than 90:10!) and that is understood to be split.

Based on some of the anti-sharing arguments posted, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the resident cheapskates kept track of each throw and only paid their partner a percentage based on the number of shots used.

If you split $100, that's still $50 more than you started with.

Why stop with your partner? Give everyone on the card an equal share. They did as much as your partner for that ace.

Why stop with your partner? Give everyone on the card an equal share. They did as much as your partner for that ace.

This is the attitude I don't get. I'm fine if the agreement between partners is to not split. To each his own. But why criticize those that think they should?

The way I look at it, I split an ace pot with my partner because he'd do the same for me. Who did the "work" to earn the pot shouldn't matter. Win as a team, lose as a team. That's the mentality of splitting the pot.

I know many of my doubles aces have come after my partner has put a safe shot out in the fairway. Didn't necessarily mean I was running for the ace, but I certainly threw more aggressively and with less pressure than I would if my partner was OB or ten feet off the tee after smashing first available. He may not have physically contributed to the ace, but as far as I'm concerned he contributed psychologically to it. And I like to think that I do the same for him when his opportunities for aces arise.

Simple to me. I make an ace, win a CTP, or whatever it is mine. If my partner makes an ace, wins a CTP, or whatever it is his. We get "in the money" in the event, we split it.

This is the attitude I don't get. I'm fine if the agreement between partners is to not split. To each his own. But why criticize those that think they should?

The way I look at it, I split an ace pot with my partner because he'd do the same for me. Who did the "work" to earn the pot shouldn't matter. Win as a team, lose as a team. That's the mentality of splitting the pot.

I know many of my doubles aces have come after my partner has put a safe shot out in the fairway. Didn't necessarily mean I was running for the ace, but I certainly threw more aggressively and with less pressure than I would if my partner was OB or ten feet off the tee after smashing first available. He may not have physically contributed to the ace, but as far as I'm concerned he contributed psychologically to it. And I like to think that I do the same for him when his opportunities for aces arise.

Golf is not a team sport...maybe that's why so many people think that way...just maybe.

Funny you should say that - I have been on cards where all four of us know each other and are all decent players where someone has suggested a four-way split if anyone hits an ace. I have never suggested it but have always agreed if the other three want to do it. Makes the round more fun when everyone is rooting for throws that are tracking towards the basket.

Simple to me. I make an ace, win a CTP, or whatever it is mine. If my partner makes an ace, wins a CTP, or whatever it is his. We get "in the money" in the event, we split it.

So do you completely discount the value of being able to run at a pin because you have a partner who has already put one close?

In the end it's between you and your partner, but if I were partnered with you and you made it clear you don't split, then would it be OK with you if I said I always wanted to throw second off the tee?

I have hit an ace pot twice both relatively small under 100. I have had my partner hit an ace one time. He took the money when he got the ace. I took the money when I got my two aces. I was the one that aced it and my partner had nothing to do with that. Same goes for him when he got the ace.

In my area its almost an unspoken rule. On a private course by me i believe you wouldn't be welcome back if you didn't split. I have never played in a doubles league where an ace was hit and it wasn't split. Not saying it hasn't happened but not while i was present.

Golf is not a team sport...maybe that's why so many people think that way...just maybe.

Singles golf isn't a team sport. Doubles is, isn't it? If my partner isn't my teammate, is he my opponent?

Again, I'm not criticizing those that don't want to split the pot. I'm questioning why anyone would mock or criticize people who do split their ace pot (or CTP) winnings with their partner.

Singles golf isn't a team sport. Doubles is, isn't it? If my partner isn't my teammate, is he my opponent?

Again, I'm not criticizing those that don't want to split the pot. I'm questioning why anyone would mock or criticize people who do split their ace pot (or CTP) winnings with their partner.

I didn't mock or criticize anyone for doing it, I have done it myself. I am saying it should not be assumed or a "rule of thumb" where if you don't share it is thought of as a "dick move".

Like gdub, I have also split with all on the card when I know them and we all agree. I wouldn't call them dicks for not doing it.