• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Driver in heavy woods?

I have found a Pro D XL goes very straight.

I also have a 161 beat DX Wraith that goes almost dead straight.

An SOLS or a Polaris might work as well.

Hyzer Flip the Cobra?

hyzer flip something understable that you can control...

I agree. I've noticed that a hyzer flip usually flies low and straight. Recently, I've been experimenting with the hyzer flip ability of the Cobra. It seems to flip up level and glide straight with an ever so slight turn for a pretty good distance. Has anyone had success with the Cobra in the woods?

I agree. I've noticed that a hyzer flip usually flies low and straight. Recently, I've been experimenting with the hyzer flip ability of the Cobra. It seems to flip up level and glide straight with an ever so slight turn for a pretty good distance. Has anyone had success with the Cobra in the woods?

If I found a Cobra in the woods a would back away slowly.... ha

I think you probably had the best disc for the job personally. I had an Elite X XL and when I wore it out I bought an ESP XL. If you wanted to try something a little different then I would second or third a Champ Leopard.

I like cheetahs or teebirds for that shot if I want more distance than I can get out of my rocs or shark. If possible, I throw a putter or mid though, definitely easier to keep in a tight fairway.

IMO an impact is one of the best wood's discs of all time. soo easy to control and will travle a hell of alot further than a roc or buzzz if the hole is long and tight. but its only good for strait shots

This ^

My top five Woods/technical Discs

Cool Question - You always need something with very Durable plastic.
1) Z-XS - Super Versatile slow hyzer or aNi (long) been throwing them for 8 years
2) SE/Star Leopard (long straight)
3) Teebird Champion (log stable)
4) Z-Buzzz (250ish distance)
5) Champion Spider (250ish Distance)

Most woods discs for me are stable as I would like to maximum control and consistency.

If it looks out of reach for a Buzzz I'm now using a Stalker. Before it was released I would use an XL

I know we all throw differently, however I have a lot of luck throwing a Millenium QJLS in shots like those. From some reason, a JLS comes out of my hand like a faster midrange disc. It will hold a line for me longer than I would like most of the time. So when my release is off, that disc makes me so angry. But it definitely stays on that line for me.

My buddy has a powerdrive gumbputt and that thing will definitely keep you on the fairway. You can hurl that thing and if it hits something it falls straight down. Crazy.

I've heard they can be, but that's mostly from people who can throw them at the proper speed :D

well my r-pro is flippy as hell but it weighs a whopping 154g

my star boss on the other hand weighs in at 174 and god is it a meathook...i can turn it over fh if i try to though....i actually won a bet the other day like that... a dude said he'd bet me 2 bucks that i couldnt turn over a boss, i stepped up, threw, took his money, told him thanks....lol dumb a$$

I know we all throw differently, however I have a lot of luck throwing a Millenium QJLS in shots like those. From some reason, a JLS comes out of my hand like a faster midrange disc. It will hold a line for me longer than I would like most of the time. So when my release is off, that disc makes me so angry. But it definitely stays on that line for me.
Qjls can be a little angle sensitive when thrown with some power , have you tried a teebird i think adding one to throw with Qjls might help fill in some gaps , they do complement each other very well:)

It depends on the hole. If I need a lot of control (several trees throughout the drive) I'll use my ESP Impact. If I just have thread one gap (and need the distance) I'll use a Champ Leopard.

Sometimes I'll use slower stuff. (Element, Aero)

Forehand throws use a champ wraith. can get some good s turns and distance now. for closer thread shots the cro is the bomb... very good control with it. Champ teebird is a very nice "fairway" driver. IMO one of the best aiming discs you can get.

I prefer understable discs in the woods. Currently I have an X XS that I'm trying to beat into submission. It really depends on your preferences. I've known people that prefer stable or overstable discs as well. I find I hit lines better with understable discs, but it doesn't work for everybody.

Qjls can be a little angle sensitive when thrown with some power , have you tried a teebird i think adding one to throw with Qjls might help fill in some gaps , they do complement each other very well:)
Dosen't a QJLS have a fade of +3? How would that would well in the woods. Everyone that I have ever had , did a really hard fade at the end of the flight.