• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Drives, C+C please

Im not sure if the couple annies you throw were intentional, but the first one was your best looking form where you got good pivot. The ones that went straight were pulling too early/fast, so you are jamming your hips and not pivoting. Try walking through the x-step and slowing everything down into the hit. Also try facing more backward on the x step and landing with your right butt cheek facing the target to get more rotational power from the hips and shoulders. You are looking forward the whole throw which limits the rotation.

Im not sure if the couple annies you throw were intentional, but the first one was your best looking form where you got good pivot. The ones that went straight were pulling too early/fast, so you are jamming your hips and not pivoting. Try walking through the x-step and slowing everything down into the hit. Also try facing more backward on the x step and landing with your right butt cheek facing the target to get more rotational power from the hips and shoulders. You are looking forward the whole throw which limits the rotation.

Thanks, yea i've been trying to work on snap and i've been trying to slow down from where i once was.

It also looks like you're pulling from high to low. Your pull is starting at or above head height and you're ending below your pecs. You want to start lower and end pec height. This will help get the nose down if you also get your weight forward.

You'll learn a lot by rebuilding your throw from the hit back. I'd highly recommend it.

Work on your follow through, my elbow hurt just watching a couple of those drives.

It also looks like you're pulling from high to low. Your pull is starting at or above head height and you're ending below your pecs. You want to start lower and end pec height. This will help get the nose down if you also get your weight forward.

You'll learn a lot by rebuilding your throw from the hit back. I'd highly recommend it.

Thanks for the comments. I'll work on these as soon as i get the chance to.

If your working on snap think of your arm as a whip and the disc is the end. The release of the disc is like the crack of the whip. This really helped me get the snap down.

Delicious what do you mean with the elbow hurting and the follow through. I know my elbow hurts after a round or two of driving?

Starting from the hit back is a pain, but the only way to improve. Start simple and proper for a foundation, and build on that. Less is more when it comes to building the foundation. I was throwing 300+, and realized if I wanted to improve I was going to have to relearn my entire form. My motto, keep it simple stupid. I've started with the basics, and am slowly building on them.

You might be doing the same thing the OP does then. Like garublador said, his disc looks way too high on the pull back. Also looks like it's limiting his pull back. And pulling down like that then back up after the throw can't be good on the elbow. And remember it's not the speed of your arm that matters, it's the speed at the hit. Make sure it's moving fastest at the very end...not too early.

I also agree with Sidewinder, the first one looked like you were following through but as you progressed you stared down the throw. Try to follow the disc with your left arm, lower the disc and try to get a little longer pull back.

The good thing is that it looks like you are getting some speed on the disc...you're just stunting it with the movement in the backswing and lack of follow through. Fix those and I think you'll find a noticeable difference in the snap.

Try holding your disc flat and out in front of you, do a slow step up and try to keep the disc in the vertical axis while doing your step around the side of the disc. Once it's in the farthest point in your reach back your back should be facing the target. Right now your center of gravity should be over your left hip. As the disc moves forward, you should feel the tension moving from your left hip slowly to your right shoulder as you twist and pull the disc from the back to the front. Practice this in slow mo a few times and see if that helps out a bit.

You might be doing the same thing the OP does then. Like garublador said, his disc looks way too high on the pull back. Also looks like it's limiting his pull back. And pulling down like that then back up after the throw can't be good on the elbow. And remember it's not the speed of your arm that matters, it's the speed at the hit. Make sure it's moving fastest at the very end...not too early.

I also agree with Sidewinder, the first one looked like you were following through but as you progressed you stared down the throw. Try to follow the disc with your left arm, lower the disc and try to get a little longer pull back.

The good thing is that it looks like you are getting some speed on the disc...you're just stunting it with the movement in the backswing and lack of follow through. Fix those and I think you'll find a noticeable difference in the snap.

Try holding your disc flat and out in front of you, do a slow step up and try to keep the disc in the vertical axis while doing your step around the side of the disc. Once it's in the farthest point in your reach back your back should be facing the target. Right now your center of gravity should be over your left hip. As the disc moves forward, you should feel the tension moving from your left hip slowly to your right shoulder as you twist and pull the disc from the back to the front. Practice this in slow mo a few times and see if that helps out a bit.

Thanks for the advice! I'll try to work on that tomorrow if possible!

I saw this immediately. I just realized last week from a video that I do it too.

Good luck fixing it.

Garub and Sidewinder said it all (for now). The high to low is what really caught me, some people do that to compensate for turnover by trying to hyzerflip by doing some weird high to low arm movement. Use your body and your shoulders. Remember, smooth is far. You are trying to power it out there by giving it everything you've got all at once. Accelerate, not explode.

Garub and Sidewinder said it all (for now). The high to low is what really caught me, some people do that to compensate for turnover by trying to hyzerflip by doing some weird high to low arm movement. Use your body and your shoulders. Remember, smooth is far. You are trying to power it out there by giving it everything you've got all at once. Accelerate, not explode.

I've been watching a lot of Barry Schultz's drives and i think i like his style the best; it's very flowing, not choppy at all.

I would've said Barry Schultz because he's kinda tall and skinny.
He does some funny stuff that isn't normally recommended. IIRC, he doesn't get his weight all the way forward but compensates in other ways. It obviously works, but it's not something I'd recommend to someone learning. His timing is great, though and has a really smooth throw.

He does some funny stuff that isn't normally recommended. IIRC, he doesn't get his weight all the way forward but compensates in other ways. It obviously works, but it's not something I'd recommend to someone learning. His timing is great, though and has a really smooth throw.

I know your going to recommend Dan Beto drills but other than those drills, who would you recommend watching? (I learn more by watching videos over and over.)

Latest posts