• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Driving Practice With Putters

lovebecause

Bogey Member
I've taken up the challenge to practice driving with putters and put my drivers away. I am using some midranges as well since I want to incorporate more throws per turn. As I have noticed my mistakes and fixed them I am throwing the discs further. I am also noticing that I have to set them off on a hyzer line to keep going straight. As I get more powerful and better technique will I need to alter my form to keep them straight? Should I switch to midranges when this happens?

I am also noticing that I have to set them off on a hyzer line to keep going straight.

This is pretty typical. With an average neutral putter mold, you'll probably have to incorporate a bit of hyzer past 200-250', and especially at longer distances. It does depend on the mold though, some of them don't require hyzer. Which putters are you throwing?

As I get more powerful and better technique will I need to alter my form to keep them straight? Should I switch to midranges when this happens?

Distance comes from timing and acceleration rather than power.

Again it'll depend on the mold, and the distances you're throwing.

Are you trying to rip a Nova 350'? You'll need to give it some hyzer to keep it straight.

Are you throwing an Envy 250'? It doesn't need any hyzer.

Are you trying to throw a Pig 400'? You'll need some anhyzer ;)

There is no point (That I've discovered) where you're throwing putters too hard and have to switch to mids. I throw Proxies 400-450' and they're neutral. Mids are there for more distance in general, punching through wind better than putters, low ceilings, stuff like that. There is nothing about a putter that makes it incapable of handling a full powered throw, and in fact our putters were once what people considered distance drivers.

I wouldn't recommend the Pig for working on form, they're great for regular rounds though.

Challengers are great for this sort of thing. Fresh ones are stable enough that you don'thave to give them much hyzer at all to keep them straight, but not so overstable like the Pig so if you mess up it will tell you. Maybe if yours is baseline and beat up consider buying a second.

Mako3 and Roc3 are both good for form work.

Often I wonder why I even have mids and don't just rock a "ions and control drivers" bag..

Here or there it is nice to have mids for certain shots though.

JohnE McCray routinely throws his putter 400'. Putters are my favorite discs. Gotta love a good putter.

Keep working those putters. They will definitely show you when you mess up, especially a neutral disc. It will show you exactly how you are throwing.

I especially like going for field aces when I'm outside of my putting range. #Humble brag, I actually just made a pretty sweet 2 the other day on hole 9 at Hambrick from the pro tees. I threw my Soft Proton Ion straight into the basket from about 100 feet out. It was a thing of beauty. That disc is super neutral and great for practicing straight shots. If I flub my shot, it will show me exactly how I messed up.

So I've been trying to practice with putters more as well. I have a marshal, a p1x, a wizard and a DX aviar. I've also been using a p3 though this may be too overstable. Which of these will help me correct form flaws the best?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I've been trying to practice with putters more as well. I have a marshal, a p1x, a wizard and a DX aviar. I've also been using a p3 though this may be too overstable. Which of these will help me correct form flaws the best?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wiz and aviar for sure. Im not as familar with other molds listed but as long as they are not beefy OS youre good to rip. Biggest thing is learning to throw on hyzer/straight/anny lines with whatever mold you like.

Last edited:
Make sure you flick them too. Everyone talks about backhanding putters 300', but they can be flicked that far too. Don't believe me, watch some ultimate.

With an envy or something more neutral? I can get a zone out there 300 on a flick, but that probably doesn't count.

With an envy or something more neutral? I can get a zone out there 300 on a flick, but that probably doesn't count.

Flick your normal putters like a Wizard, etc. I haven't FH a putter 300' but they definitely go a couple hundred for me in a floaty way. A Zone I probably can only FH about 270' flat release but it feels like a power shot to me whereas I still back off on my normal putters a bit, and they float more. Maybe if my FH was perfectly clean I could smash on them full power. I haven't tried full power in a while actually...

An Envy will likely do fantastic at this...but that isn't the point. The point is to make something real neutral do whatever you want. Of course in a round flick that Envy and Zone as hard as you want.

Make sure you flick them too. Everyone talks about backhanding putters 300', but they can be flicked that far too. Don't believe me, watch some ultimate.

Hey Mike, I'm having some issues with my grip and smoothness off the tee with a putter.. Do you have a link to any videos that kinda goes over the basics of these elements?

I wouldn't spend too long with only putters and mids. They're great at showing some form flaws but most will fly pretty well when thrown nose up. You'll want to work with some slower drivers as well to help force you to keep the nose down.

I completely agree here.. I have been working on my putter driving and after going back to my teebirds, they were sky hooking and dumping at like 200'.. Guess I was throwing my putters nose up!

Latest posts