• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Driving with Putters

people say overstable putters work better because you can "put more into it" but i use a magic to drive and i was pushing 275 with it and wizards are great i can get a wiz close to 300

I actually use Rhynos for my driving (and approach) putter. Champ for straight to hyzer line and a slightly beat DX for straight to slight turnover. Very consistent for me from anything up to 275ft. My second choice would be M Ion. Lots of glide. In fact for me, it goes too far when thrown properly. I kept finding myself 20-30 ft deeper than I wanted to be. I don't really carry it anymore, but I can see a day where it works itself back into the bag.

Overstable Innova Putter
Overstable Discraft Putter
Vibram Putter
MVP Putter

4 pages of discussion in one post. There's no one answer, but typically overstable putters are better for driving because you can put more on it.

I disagree with this. Typically I'm using a beat up Aviar to shape turnover lines in the 150-275' range when I drive with putters. If you just want a stable flight with an overstable finish you can throw a mid or driver that is even more reliable for that shot. That's not to say that a stable/overstable driving putter isn't nice to have, but it's the easiest putter to cut out of the bag. Slow, glidey, understable flights are the only shots that are exclusive to putters.

XD_DX_Standard.jpg

A fairly new D Zone is what I use for tight fairways. Takes 0 space to work with. Doesn't move from the line you put it on until the last 20 feet or so, and it doesn't have a crazy hard fade at the end like an ESP. Doesn't lose it's flight characteristics in any wind.

For me, I have by far the best accuracy if I release flat. With that said, if I have a tunnel shot around 225-250, I'm going to my vibram ridge. Release it flat and hard, it won't fade, it won't turn, straight down the chute. It will hyzer fade on shorter throws though.

I usually drive with a 165 Medium Summit. Hyzer flip to flat, or straight up turnover shots are covered with just that disc, but if I really need to juice it I'll throw an Ion.

Can't get the hang of driving with Omegas.

I drive with a champ Rhyno, easy to range because its lack of glide and trusty fade, perfect for FH, OH approach and flex shots. I also have a beat to hell Dx Rhyno thats dead straight, it flips flat from a hyzer and just goes. Zero fade and turn. Only have one Pro Rhyno left, a yellow 175, as of now it sits in the closet wating to be thrown... Yeah why not, really the best feeling driving putter IMO

Latest posts