• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dynamic Discs Open Coverage Air Dates Set on CBS Sports Network

Sooo ... one thing I've learned from the broadcasts is that Emporia, KS is ...
The Disc Golf Capitol of the World!! :eek:

At least that is how it is portrayed in the Emporia promo video.

Now, I've never been to Emporia (been to Wichita and all the way out to Garden City), but I know DD is there, they've got a few 4.0 rated courses and have a big party every year for the DDO. But, Disc Golf Capitol of the World?

I don't recall getting a chance to vote on this! I went back to the UDisc Ranking of Top 50 Disc Golf Metro areas, and didn't see Emporia anywhere on the list.

Was anyone else surprised to hear that in their promo video? (I did FF thru most of the non-DG commercials, but thought I would listen to that one.)

Appling, GA more likely Disc Golf Capitol with the International Disc Golf Center and HQ for PDGA Global plus 3 top courses for a population of 771 (2017).

I can't knock the Appling/Augusta recommendation, but when I heard Emporia's/DD's claim, my initial thought was...
I bet Charlotte's got something to say about that.

I'll say this. From the perspective of nearly everyone in the town has heard of disc golf, 75% of the residents play or support disc golf, and local businesses support of disc golf is nearly 100% -- not sure any other town can say that. If you're talking purely a player perspective, then that's a different perspective. How many towns have disc golf as a top 5 employer??

I think the biggest miss here is the commentary. I alluded to this before, but I'm blown away that Adam Zucker isn't on the mic for this.

Imagine Jerm and Nate able to be themselves, talk about their personal struggles with holes, stuff like "yeah I was hanging out with Paul after this round and he was still upset about that putt"

I'll say this. From the perspective of nearly everyone in the town has heard of disc golf, 75% of the residents play or support disc golf, and local businesses support of disc golf is nearly 100% -- not sure any other town can say that. If you're talking purely a player perspective, then that's a different perspective. How many towns have disc golf as a top 5 employer??

That was my interpretation. Emporia turns up for the GBO, the entire city supports it and rolls out the red carpet, it's pretty amazing.

That says more about the local economy than it being the disc golf capital of the world.

So would you say the same about the rose capital of the world? The diamond capital of the world? The Juice capital of the world? The post-it-note capital of the world? The clock capital of the world? etc.

See where I'm going ...

That was my interpretation. Emporia turns up for the GBO, the entire city supports it and rolls out the red carpet, it's pretty amazing.

But not JUST during GBO. The businesses support disc golf all year long.

I think the biggest miss here is the commentary. I alluded to this before, but I'm blown away that Adam Zucker isn't on the mic for this.

Imagine Jerm and Nate able to be themselves, talk about their personal struggles with holes, stuff like "yeah I was hanging out with Paul after this round and he was still upset about that putt"

lol keep dreaming...you ain't getting a big name talent like that (at least not yet) for a disc golf tournament especially since the current lot are probably working for next to free.

Emporia would be most likely to earn our sport's "Congeniality" award as the most welcoming city for disc golfers.

Appling, GA more likely Disc Golf Capitol with the International Disc Golf Center and HQ for PDGA Global plus 3 top courses for a population of 771 (2017).

I'd go along with Appling as the Capital, and the IDGC building as the Capitol. Because the seat of authority is there.

Emporia deserves another superlative. The most justifiable would be "Center", for all the reasons already stated, plus it is close to the geographic center of all the pro disc golfers in the world.

Maybe "Heart" for the centrality meaning, plus it's in the Heartland, and for the way the locals love disc golf.

I am a bit confused on the different color flags, as I am sure many viwers are. I get the C1 and out of bounds, but there are usually a blue/green/red flag inside the circles on many holes.

I kinda figured a snowman was something I've accomplished, that McBeth would never equal. ..but he just could let it be.

Latest posts